Author Topic: At The Table: Gamers And Their Dice  (Read 5986 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Re: At The Table: Gamers And Their Dice
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 02:23:06 AM »
So, I had a good one last week, during the weekly Changeling: The Lost campaign session.  I was wearing this shirt and had been rolling horribly all night; usually my dice are pretty cooperative--I incinerate one every so often to encourage the rest--but I had been rolling like crap all night.  Finally, after my second zero-success roll in a roll when trying to harvest Glamour, I went to my bedroom, swapped out the shirt, and rolled again.  Three successes.  ::)  :D  And the dice kept rolling well for the rest of the night. 

Now my friends who at that session are also in the Dresden game that I GM, so there's been debate on what effect that shirt might have on my FUDGE dice when I'm GMing.  ;)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 02:50:54 AM »
I keep multiple sets of dice laid out (organized properly, of course). I do a roll-off at the beginning of the night to see who goes first. If I roll poorly more than twice in a row, I send that die back to its comrades for reeducation. If I roll HORRIBLY twice in a row, that whole family of dice gets sent to Siberia (the Dice Bag of Shame), not to have a chance to see the light again until the next gaming session. A 1 grants immediate dissenter-hood, whereas a 20 resets the count.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 04:18:54 AM »
I put my dice face up on their highest values. sometimes...it's ALL OF THEM. And I will bench bad dice and bring in fresh recruits. We have insisted GMs use dice that are notoriously crappy, and there have been GM's with dice that we feared.

Though I may have a dice burning just for fun.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 09:27:56 AM »
I roll each die several hundred times and record the results, and if the distribution is too far off from what is expected, I don't use that die.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 11:01:38 AM »
I roll each die several hundred times and record the results, and if the distribution is too far off from what is expected, I don't use that die.

But that COULD mean you've just rolled all the bad out of it!
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »
I put my dice face up on their highest values. 

This? The dice gods view it as hubris. DANGER.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 12:36:01 PM »
I like to think of it as getting my dice to think positive. "See little guy? This is what you're capable of! REACH FOR THE STARS! Or at least the highest valued side."