Author Topic: At The Table: Gamers And Their Dice  (Read 6092 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
At The Table: Gamers And Their Dice
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »
It has been observed by a friend of mine (who actually just stopped into town, thus prompting this thread) that the superstitions, rituals and beliefs gamers have about their dice practically border on an unorganized religion. ;)  "Lucky" dice, "training" your dice, sadistic dice...  the permutations are endless.  Heck, I, personally, will occasionally incinerate one of my d10s to "encourage the rest" for the nWoD game I'm in (and it works  ;D).  One of my other friends threatens low performers with time in the microwave.  Another lines up all of his d6s precisely with the table edge, with all of the dice in the same orientation (I threw in a die that had a different number arrangement into his pile once as a prank; that was entertaining).  My Dresden group, before we bought the Dresden-dice premium sets, would roll each set in five-pack we had at the beginning of each session and give the lowest rolling set to me, the GM.  And so on. 

So, share the tales of those fun, bizarre and bemusing superstitions about our favorite purveyors of randomness, our dice.  *sits back, munches on popcorn* This ought to be fun.  :D
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: At The Table: Gamers And Their Dice
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:48 PM »
My old D&D group would often say a phrase containing the word "mumbo" when they rolled dice. The exact phrase depended on their character and the situation.

It seemed to improve things for one of us, but nobody else got anything out of it.

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
This is a pretty good book on the subject: http://gameplaywright.net/books/the-bones/
It even has an article from someone called Fred Hicks - whoever he is ;)
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:58:14 PM »
Well, microwaving your dice isn't so much mumbo jumbo as it is causing the plastic to melt slightly and deform, changing the distribution of the plastic. You can do that to weight dice if you're careful, changing the probabilities of rolling certain numbers.

As for things I do, I like to have Fudge dice that have all the minuses oriented the same way relative to the plus sides. So I go right for the black or the white ones, since all of the others have variations on the orientation of the minuses.

I don't do this because I think it improves performance. I do this because I'm a bit neurotic and like symmetry.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:14:43 PM »
I am a MTG lover, and that's where I get all my d20s (fat pack!). Depending on the color and set origination of the dice, I mutter the name of a card while I roll it, usually a planeswalker... I have a Rise of the Elderazi one that loves Sarkov.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »
I think the uglier the dice, the better they roll.  I keep the hot pink dFs for myself.  :)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 10:35:35 PM »
I'm all sorts of superstitious about my dice. Mainly because they're all out to kill me, and it's a matter of finding out which ones are on union break and are therefore not actively seeking to do the job. And I will NOT touch someone else's dice, because I have a long-standing, severe case of rollio and I don't want to infect perfectly good dice.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:56:48 PM »
I've known minor fights to break out because someone touched someone else's dice...

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 01:03:54 AM »
I set mine regardless of game on the numbers desired and leave them there. Except to roll of course.
And I really do not like people touching them without permission.

A GURPS game last year I was forced to beat someone in to a vegatative state for repeatedly using my dice even after I explained the rules.
 No not really. Yes. No Yes. No Maybe
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
I have a friend that will do crazy stuff if someone touches one of his dice with bare flesh. He can't touch them himself after it has been contaminated, and hen he destroys them. another player puts all of his dice with desired side face up, while I prefer face down if I decide to organize them while playing. I tend to have bad luck with dice and blame it on the fact that I tend to be the dice bank when I have all my dice around (I have over a thousand) so my luck is used by others.
"The door is ajar"

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 05:41:45 PM »
We have a friend whose dice hate her and everyone else. We're discouraged from touching them only because of the fear that their bad luck will contaminate us.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
I think the uglier the dice, the better they roll.  I keep the hot pink dFs for myself.  :)

Day Glow Orange wins
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline Shadow lion

• Lurker
  • Damn I love my duster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 01:21:04 AM »
Always use my same 4 lucky dice

Clear ice blue
Black with blood splat numbers
Black with skulls
and one i got from a old game of clue  ;D
"When all else fails, just set you're Enemy on fire and roast some marshmallows"

"Life is like a taco, its good at first but you'll regret it latter"

Offline dger

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 07:16:01 AM »
A few years ago a friend joined our gaming to fill in for his brother.  He was very non-gamer, even though he enjoyed the games.  He kept making fun of our dice-rituals; he was all probability and rationality.  He recently left for the service and has become the most superstitious of us all.
it was fun watching the evolution of a mundane into a gamer, complete with dice issues.

Offline 13th~Nineteen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 07:32:29 AM »
I am known in my gaming group for being unnaturally lucky with d6s. It is of course because I coach them and punish the wicked. If my dice roll bad I send them for purgatory. After a specified period they receive a chance for redemption if they fail they are sent to "Dice Hell" (Normally the microwave). That with some rotation normally you can weed out the under-performers. 

I am working on some way to work mojo on Dice rollers but no luck so far. They still hate me.