Author Topic: Looking for a new supernatural creature  (Read 3095 times)

Offline MonkofLords

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Looking for a new supernatural creature
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:32:31 AM »
I am attempting to create a City Setting, and I'm just curious if anyone knows of any sort of supernatural creature that eats or removes memories. I don't want to go the cheap way of "of course no one knows about them, they can take your memories away!" and see if I can pull on something real.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Re: Looking for a new supernatural creature
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:33:44 AM »
I remember one... but suddenly I can't remember a thing about it...  ;D

Honestly, though, there are a couple of routes you can play with here.

Route one: bargain with the Fey; as Lea showed during Bianca's ball, the Fey, or at least some of them, are capable of precisely targeted amnesia.  So a Fey that trades memories for boons is completely believable.  Demons work, too.

Route two: a beastie from the Nevernever that feeds on thought and memories; it doesn't have to be sapient, but could just be something following its instincts; for additional fun, have it be a larvae of something that's alot smarter and is getting older.

Basically, define which approach will work better for your purposes, the sapient bargainer or the instinctual hunter, and then start designing something to fit.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:42:51 AM by bibliophile20 »
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:45:48 AM »
A broad class of being, called Memnovores, much as fear-eaters are called Phobophages.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:48:13 AM »
Or make it an infovore Outsider, literally feeding on the information in their heads.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:59:03 AM »
I am attempting to create a City Setting, and I'm just curious if anyone knows of any sort of supernatural creature that eats or removes memories. I don't want to go the cheap way of "of course no one knows about them, they can take your memories away!" and see if I can pull on something real.
The Baku are dream eaters. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:01:13 AM »
Oooh.  got the perfect folklore phenomenon to use for this memnovore. 

"alien" abductions.

It's a spirit, demon, outsider, or some other memory-eating critter from the Nevernever.  It catches folks, eats various pieces of their pasts, eats the time it spent eating them, then leaves them by the side of the road.

Offline MonkofLords

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:02:58 AM »
Well, I did remember that instance with the Fae, but I can't really make this a direct deal, and it needs to work fairly wide scale.

A Never Never beasty of some sort could work too, but it does need to be sentient.

Baku seem interesting, but I do want to stick to memories, and the "alien" thing is a little too out their for my purposes.

My original idea was a different court of Vampires that kept their numbers artificially low so they wouldn't be easily detected, and so that their weaknesses couldn't easily be figured out, but I didn't want to just randomly come up with a new court.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 04:04:46 AM »
My original idea was a different court of Vampires that kept their numbers artificially low so they wouldn't be easily detected, and so that their weaknesses couldn't easily be figured out, but I didn't want to just randomly come up with a new court.

Maybe you want to try another take on the Jade Court?

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 04:06:06 AM »

According to WoJ, there are three more Vampire Courts out there, but they're at the level of "mosquitoes". 
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline MonkofLords

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 04:11:52 AM »
According to WoJ, there are three more Vampire Courts out there, but they're at the level of "mosquitoes". 

Well, these guys need to be a bit more threatening than that.

Let's go with the Memnovores thing, and try to get more specific. I really don't want them to be Fae if I don't have to...so I need a sentient creature, that gets more experienced the more memories it eats, and needs to be basically human with its wants and desires (can be bribed, etc.). Beyond that, those are my only real requirements.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 04:18:34 AM »
Illithids?

And "mosquito" was more a reference to their impact on the level of international/interplanar affairs; individually, any vampire is still going to be deadly.  And when we already have a class of emotion-eating vampires, other choice bits of what it means to be human--our memories--become a viable storytelling option.  And as you said they keep their numbers artificially low, that's what made me think of the three minor courts. 

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline MonkofLords

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 04:27:30 AM »
Illithids?

And "mosquito" was more a reference to their impact on the level of international/interplanar affairs; individually, any vampire is still going to be deadly.  And when we already have a class of emotion-eating vampires, other choice bits of what it means to be human--our memories--become a viable storytelling option.  And as you said they keep their numbers artificially low, that's what made me think of the three minor courts. 

Oh, yes, the court I was designing would definitely not have enough manpower to really be political players. Essentially, I just need them to help someone create a large group of mindless people, ready for the taking. As for weaknesses, I was just piecing together a variety of random Vampire myths, and the in story explanation being that this group has spent a great deal of time falsely attributing these weaknesses to other courts, thus confusing what they are actually weak against.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 04:28:25 AM »
Well, the Yara-ma-yha-who is a vampiric 'identity' stealer.  But, if you can fit them into your story, some fallout from
(click to show/hide)
may also work.  The lotus eaters from Odysseus bring up another, less combat centric, option.

Let's go with the Memnovores thing, and try to get more specific. I really don't want them to be Fae if I don't have to...so I need a sentient creature, that gets more experienced the more memories it eats, and needs to be basically human with its wants and desires (can be bribed, etc.). Beyond that, those are my only real requirements.
Have you decided what the Jade Court eats in your campaign yet?  Even if it's Chi / Spirit / Life Force, it could affect memory either as a side effect or another power.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 04:34:58 AM »
In RuneQuest, the Morocanth, a species of carnivorous, sapient ground sloth, developed a spell that turns humans into the equivalent of herd animals. You want a monster, but one can also consider that someone just got hold of the right spell/ritual (sponsored or otherwise).

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 04:43:16 AM »
You could adapt the strigoi/striga/moroi/shtriga as a creature that eats memories.  Maybe combine that with the baku and say that the folkloric creatures are two interpretations of the same beastie.