Author Topic: Other -anthorpes  (Read 4949 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Other -anthorpes
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »
Been mulling over the Corvanthrope (crow) and I really like the concept. Echoes would apply to sight and burglary and we could do inhuman speed. The one thing I'm having a hard time with is obviously wings isn't appropriate, however I'm thinking it would be cool for them to have a minor weightlessness kinda thing. Perhaps the ability to "Jump good." ;D

How about really good eyesight? Fine eye for details?

If you want to keep with the lightness theme, though, there is an Anime-style Jumping power in the Custom powers thread: Impossible Jumps (http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19934.0.html) - and it is just -1 Refresh!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:35:19 AM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 04:36:49 AM »
Would we give the tricksters Incite Confusion then?
Possibly a Social Weapon ability?
A 1-Refresh Inhuman Grace power to boost to Deceit/Presence rolls?

Sorry for drilling so low for inspiration, then :D

Can you believe getting out of handcuffs doesn't seem to be in the rules in any way? Or am I just failing to find any?
Foxes are universally regarded as clever and sneaky; everything else is embroidery and depends on the individual legend.  

I'd say, at base the Echoes of the Beast already discussed (+1 hearing, +1 to Stealth when hiding from larger foes, talk to canines), some shapeshifting ability, even just to the extent of becoming a human-fox hybrid form (also nearly universal; in Japanese myth, it's even explicitly one of the kitsune spirit's powers) which I'm personally representing as the Human Form [-1, Plain Jane, Voluntary Change] power, and then something to represent the fox's natural speed, agility and stealth--either Inhuman Speed, the Inhuman Flexibility posted above, or Cloak of Shadows, respectively.

Beyond that, Incite Lust/Confusion depending on the archetype can work, but they can't and shouldn't be up-front powers.  I do like the Inhuman Grace idea, though; that tracks well.

And Handcuffs can be broken one of three ways, IMHO; Athletics (Fantastic+ threshold), Burglary (Superb+ threshold, but penalties if you don't have tools) or Might (Epic threshold, and shiny, new and cop-call-inducing bracelets) (yes, we had to worry about this at one point in a game I was in)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 04:37:40 AM »
How about really good eyesight? Fine eye for details?

Wouldn't Echoes take care of that or would we have to actually do something a little more drastic?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 04:41:45 AM »
Wouldn't Echoes take care of that or would we have to actually do something a little more drastic?

Yeah, Echoes would work... I was hoping to justify another cool power though.

And Handcuffs can be broken one of three ways, IMHO; Athletics (Fantastic+ threshold), Burglary (Superb+ threshold, but penalties if you don't have tools) or Might (Epic threshold, and shiny, new and cop-call-inducing bracelets) (yes, we had to worry about this at one point in a game I was in)

Good thoughts! And people can take Consequences trying to get out of them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:46:51 AM by devonapple »

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 04:50:38 AM »
Yeah, Echoes would work... I was hoping to justify another cool power though.

Do we really need any justification for another cool power?  ;D

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Felinaenthrope
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 04:53:21 AM »
Felinaenthrope

Musts:
High concept, such as Felinaenthrope, or Cat-Spirited
Powers:
Echoes of the Beast [-1] (+2 to see at night, talk to felines)
Human Form [+1] affecting the following (pick two):
- Inhuman Recovery [-2]
- Inhuman Speed [-2]
- Inhuman Strength [-2]
- Inhuman Toughness [-2]

Minimum Refresh cost: -4

Options:
Inhuman Balance [–1]
Supernatural Speed [-4]
Supernatural Recovery [-4]

Felinaenthropes channelling the larger cats may opt for Strength and Toughness.
Supernatural Strength [-4]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]

Important Skills: Alertness, Burglary, Deceit, Investigation, Presence, Stealth, Survival.

Inhuman Balance [–1]
Description: You have an uncanny ability to balance on small surfaces.
Skills Affected: Athletics, Stealth
Effects:
You can stand on and walk along ropes, cables, and narrow ledges without a problem. You also take no penalties for running through uneven terrain as you carefully pick your way through the stones and roots over which most others would trip. You aren't a spider, however, and cannot hold your footing against extreme weather conditions or flying demons trying to disrupt you, but you do get a +2 to skill checks to stay situated.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:02:33 AM by devonapple »

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 05:02:29 AM »
Do we really need any justification for another cool power?  ;D

No we don't!

I say we reskin Spider Walk:

Inhuman Balance [–1]
Description: You have an uncanny ability to balance on small surfaces.
Skills Affected: Athletics, Stealth
Effects:
You can stand on and walk along ropes, cables, and narrow ledges without a problem. You also take no penalties for running through uneven terrain as you carefully pick your way through the stones and roots over which most others would trip. You aren't a spider, however, and cannot hold your footing against extreme weather conditions or flying demons trying to disrupt you, but you do get a +2 to skill checks to stay situated.

This would be good for Aviathropes as well as Felinaenthropes!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:00:18 AM by devonapple »

Offline Aetius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 11:11:11 PM »
Personally, I think the Cloak of Shadows is a must.  Foxes are trackers and are renown for their abilities as such, mostly because they hunt alone unlike wolves or other pack canines.  So a vulpinethrope would have all multiple abilities that allow him to both hunt down his prey and easily avoid that which would want him dead.  He's cunning like a fox after all.  After that, the speed idea is pretty much mandatory and from there its customization.

As the player whose PC this is being tested on, I like the change when the Inhuman speed is active.  Me and the GM also discussed things that physically change even out of the hybrid form like hair color changing with the seasons, red in summer, white in winter and a combo in other times.  The initial idea behind the other -thropes came from my character being subject to a test that attempted to make him an artificial lycanthrope, I attribute the outward changes to the animal spirit not quite being a clean fit like with the lycanthrope.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
Partnership Collective Drone (On The Beach)

High Concept: Partnership Collective Drone
Other Aspects: Hive Mind, Partial Individuality, Behind All Of The Frivolous Lawsuits, Unfortunate Bounty, Evil Minion
Skills:
Good: Scholarship, Deceit
Fair: Intimidation, Fists, Contacts
Average: Empathy, Presence, Rapport
Stunts:
Lawyer (Scholarship): +1 to Scholarship for law, +2 for frivolous lawsuits.
Powers:
Hive Mind [-1] (Custom power, allows drones to communicate telepathically with each other. Might be overpowered.)
Venomous Claws [-3]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 05:43:00 AM »
Yay!  This is gonna be such fun!  :D  (I'm thinking of having one or two show up as cameos when that giant snake you did a while back makes an appearance)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »
Glad you like it. I'll be making some more weres and thropes once I get through my current list of requests.

Offline siggelsworth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »
I've really enjoyed pitting my PCs against a gang of Mousanthropes.  They're the grunts for a pack of were-rats that run the county landfill, which is the base of operations for the chupacabra that followed the RCVs up from Latin America during the escalation of the RCV/White Council war.

While I don't have their stats handy, the emphasis is on stealth (Cloak of Shadows and pack ambushes) and Inhuman Speed, though they can chew their way through obstacles pretty well with a dash of Inhuman Strength.  As a special trapping via Echoes of the Beast, they can essentially attempt to Hide in Plain Sight wherever there is sufficient cover to scurry behind.  All of the supernatural badness is restricted by Human Form (darkness only)--catch them with the lights on and you can swat them with a broom (enchanted or not)!

Offline Steppenwolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 03:25:11 AM »
After torturing a helpless latin dictionary as directed, I have the following -anthropes to toss out there as a starter:

Vulpinanthrope (fox)
Felinaenthrope (cat)
Corvanthrope (crow)
Ursidaethrope (bear)
Serpentanthrope (snake)

You should torture a greek dictionary.  ;)

So
Alopeianthrope (fox)
Ailuranthrope (Cat)
Koraxanthrope (crow)
Arktanthrope (bear)
Erpetanthrope (snake)

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »
Check the Generic NPCs thread in the resource collection for some others.