Author Topic: Enough to take down a skinwalker?  (Read 1718 times)

Offline ZuulMFer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Enough to take down a skinwalker?
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:11:21 AM »
Alright, so my RL group just wiped, which we sorta knew going in to these characters that a skinwalker would eventually come after one of them (it was one of their trouble aspects).  They did manage to kill it, but they've all lost their character sheets.  Just curious as to if you guys think it was enough.

1 Skinwalker

vs

4 PC's at refresh 12
--2 wardens
--1 demon hunting mortal with a magic gun akin to a sword of the cross
--1 mundane human.

The battle:
The party is involved in a three way battle between some mundane humans and a handful of redcourts.  As the fight starts to wind down, the skinwalker arrives.  It takes a bunch of shotgun blasts, but doesn't die after the first few and magic had no effect.  The party tries escaping into the nevernever only to be followed.

1 warden, realizing he's not getting out of this, sells out to a fae on par with the erlking for that fae's help.  (plays out scene, loses character sheet)

The other warden levels a death curse at the skinwalker with the intent that it bleed power continually (akin to papa raithe not being able to feed, just steadily lose power it gained).

The mundane human has had a wendigo spirit semi-dormant (changed trouble aspect, but gave no powers) gave into the temptation, ate a bit of the dead wizard, gained wendigo powers.

The demon hunter unloads his magic gun (using up the last of its special ammo)...firing much faster than the gun is normally capable of as his death scene.  Also, as part of this bit of deathscene, the new wendigo bite/claw/scratching as the skinwalker is charging and the fae impales it.  Then the wizard kills the wendigo.

So, a deathcurse, bringing in the not-Erlking, turning into a wendigo, and a bunch of bullets from the "gun of the cross" . . . sound like enough to bring down a skinwalker?

Also, the fae nabbed the holy gun afterward. :)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Enough to take down a skinwalker?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:25:16 AM »
I'd say so, yes.

(click to show/hide)

Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »
Being the GM that I am I'd say it would be awesome to later have it come back as severely weakened and constantly in need of feeding (as it's loosing power). In another campaign....with different characters...of course... :)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:47:28 AM »
Being the GM that I am I'd say it would be awesome to later have it come back as severely weakened and constantly in need of feeding (as it's loosing power). In another campaign....with different characters...of course... :)

At least one character from the first group could come back as an NPC to finally swoop in at the last minute and kill it for good while it is attacking the new characters too. :)

That would be really cool.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »
The shagnasty that Harry took on was an original. Maybe the skinwalker that the PCs took on was a pirated version, imperfect clone, lesser copy  ;).
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »
--1 demon hunting mortal with a magic gun akin to a sword of the cross

Based off Supernatural?

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 11:08:49 AM »
What multiple mooks with machine guns work on shagnasty if you could somehow pin it down so it dosen't fly away. I suppose what im really asking is does it have physical immunity, I have seen a Luop Garrouh in character taken down by a white court vampire in a fight which ended in three rounds, no one even took any stress because of full defenses and blocks and the loup garrouh had 25 refresh, that tactic might take out a skinwalker if he has immunity though i would presume a skinwalker would have better mental defense.   
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:18:25 AM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:33:12 AM »
1 warden, realizing he's not getting out of this, sells out to a fae on par with the erlking for that fae's help.  (plays out scene, loses character sheet)

That alone should be sufficient.  The Skinwalker is about at the same level of Speaks-to-Winds.  The Erlking is like Mab, immensely powerful, so something on his level should be able to handle a Skinwalker easy.

The other warden levels a death curse at the skinwalker with the intent that it bleed power continually (akin to papa raithe not being able to feed, just steadily lose power it gained).

That should weaken it significantly.

The mundane human has had a wendigo spirit semi-dormant (changed trouble aspect, but gave no powers) gave into the temptation, ate a bit of the dead wizard, gained wendigo powers.

Disgusting...not sure if that was necessary and not entirely clear on what Wendigo powers are...speed, strength, toughness?

The demon hunter unloads his magic gun (using up the last of its special ammo)...firing much faster than the gun is normally capable of as his death scene.  Also, as part of this bit of deathscene, the new wendigo bite/claw/scratching as the skinwalker is charging and the fae impales it.  Then the wizard kills the wendigo.

Depending on the power of the gun, that alone might also be sufficient.  I know a Knight of the Cross could probably take out a Skinwalker.  Ignoring toughness powers is huge.

Really sounds like massive overkill, honestly.