Author Topic: Question about the Warnings  (Read 8663 times)

Offline I am a book nerd

• Conversationalist
  • I like being me if you don't like it, well too bad
    • View Profile
Question about the Warnings
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »
Uhm not sure if this goes here but i had a question.
If you get a First Warning does it stay with you as long as you are on the site or after a certain time (If you have done nothing to get a Second Warning) will it go away so if you do something bad again (after the first First Warning goes away) you get the First Warning again? 
You never heard of harry dresden *gasp* hells bells we must fix that asap! :)
Yes i have a homemade amulet that looks like harrys... don't look at me like that
>.> <.< >.> *runs away*
"I'd challenge you to a battle of wits but I see you have come unarmed" William Shakespeare

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the Warnings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:38:08 AM »
Speaking from experience, if you show honest regret, and through your actions show that you are a positive contributor to the boards, you shouldn't worry about the long term effects of having been spoken to one time when you were new.

Here's a direct quote from a bartender on the subject.

"a polite, reasonable, public response has more than once erased any "record" for the poster in question on that issue."  (One of the PM's I need to backup)

I once got a bit wrapped around the axle about some responses to a concern I voiced and was asked to back off and take a brake from the subject.  After a couple weeks of taking it easy, and a few deliberate internal attempts to moderate myself, and eventually an extension of an olive branch through PM's, I came to be pretty good friends with the respondent and was much happier for it.

Edit:  OTOH, I have seen mods who appeared unhappy about individuals that habitually seemed to push the edge and drum up drama that they would rather was avoided.  The mods do remember things, but they are also great people that want everybody to have an enjoyable experience here.  If you are genuine in your desire to be an upstanding member of the boards, and behave as such, everybody should be happy, and I'll be glad to see your contributions!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:02:34 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline I am a book nerd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:12:31 AM »
Thanks for the answer. I'm not planing to get into trouble but i was curious if it would be on a permanent record or not  :)   
Yes i have a homemade amulet that looks like harrys... don't look at me like that
>.> <.< >.> *runs away*
"I'd challenge you to a battle of wits but I see you have come unarmed" William Shakespeare

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:18:10 AM »
Thanks for the answer. I'm not planing to get into trouble but i was curious if it would be on a permanent record or not  :)   

Lol after posting, I went back and looked at your posts and saw that they were all sweet, with no edits, (with one that I guess has decayed due to the 2 week decay time on the pub) so I was wondering how you could have possibly earned a warning. 

If you haven't, I recommend you read "The Book of Don't" and the other rules posts on the Announcements board.  From that you can get a pretty clear picture of what not to do, and what constitutes a positive contributer
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline I am a book nerd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:28:09 AM »
I haven't earned one myself (and hope i never get one) i think a read The Book of Don't but i will probably read it again to make sure i didn't miss anything. the question just pop into my head and i didn't see it anywhere so i asked  ;D
>.> <.< >.> *runs away*

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:37:35 PM »
I haven't earned one myself (and hope i never get one) i think a read The Book of Don't but i will probably read it again to make sure i didn't miss anything. the question just pop into my head and i didn't see it anywhere so i asked  ;D

As an ex-employer of mine used to say - "There are no stupid questions only stupid mistakes!"

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 12:23:24 AM »
As an ex-employer of mine used to say - "There are no stupid questions only stupid mistakes!"

Funny a ex-employer of mine used to say - "There are no stupid questions but there are fucking stupid people asking questions some times!" A very funny man but he had little patience for people.

(this is in no way a comment about any one's questions here its just a little anecdote about my life)  :D
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:35:29 AM »
One of my first bosses once told me, "You can screw up as many times as you possibly can and I won't have a problem.  Just never screw up the same way twice."
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:47:05 AM »
One of my first bosses once told me, "You can screw up as many times as you possibly can and I won't have a problem.  Just never screw up the same way twice."

One boss once told me, when I apologized for making a mistake.  "If you weren't making mistakes - I'd figure you weren't working."

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »
Yup.

Remember, folks, the rules are ultimately just guidelines. We're all expected to police ourselves individually; the mods are there (in principle) simply to handle things that have gotten out of hand. We'd quite honestly prefer not to have to set rules down in stone and then enforce them to the letter, but the occasional troll does lose track of his bridge and wander in, and then we have to fall back to the rules as written. But if you're basically self-monitoring and asking yourself the honest question of "How would *I* feel if that kind of thing were addressed to me?", you're 1) probably never even going to get an official newspaper to the nose and 2) almost certainly never going to have to face a second one. It usually takes something really egregious, contemptuous, scornful, aggressive or just plain nasty to earn a FIRST "warning" (note the lack of capital W), and since most people realize they've crossed a line when they do that kind of thing, the knowledge that it HAS been noticed is almost always enough to prevent a second occurrence.

In short, everyone makes mistakes. But not everyone keeps deliberately making the same mistakes aimed at others. That's the dividing line, and the vast majority of this forum's population is aware of that and lives by it. It's one of the reasons this forum is SO different from SO many other forums out there; it's actually a pleasant, enjoyable place to be. Hey, sure, some people do enjoy a wide-open, brawling, e-peen-on-the-table, nasty little snarl-fest, but they have plenty of places where they can practice their puffery... just not here. Too many cool folks here to let that sort run rampant.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »
I love it when Shecky uses bold.  It's very scary.   ;D
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »
Shecky is like the best kind of dad there is...kind, thoughtful, intelligent, humorous, wise, caring and overal special, with the ability to shrink you to a nanoparticle with one, withering, well deserved look of shame.  ;D  All the Board monitors are great people!  We all work hard to keep them happy, because when they're happy, we're happy!  ;D 

Except THOSE people who keep posting those nasty spider pictures, of course :o   ;)
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
What about cute spider pictures?  ;D
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »
What about cute spider pictures?  ;D
Such things do not exist.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 04:44:12 PM »
SPIDERS!!!   Mwhahaha!
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.