Author Topic: wizard questions  (Read 1171 times)

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
wizard questions
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
ys259 about prolonging spells does this apply to maintianing damage effects?  I feel it is unclear and have allowed it to do so, but wanted more opinions.

Also I was told that enchanted items can take half effect to make the effect permament.  I cannot find this, and it is posible that it was read from a play test pdf.  Can anyone confirm this?
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: wizard questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
As far as prolonging damage effects the RAW itself doesn't clearly say. However I've tried it and found it a little overpowered because it effectively gets around the only wizard limitation of X number of attacks for X number of stress.

The enchanted item thing does sound like something I remember from the playtester rules, but I'm thinking not so much now. Of course I could look it up I suppose, but I'm feeling lazy.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:37 PM »
Also I was told that enchanted items can take half effect to make the effect permament.  I cannot find this, and it is posible that it was read from a play test pdf.  Can anyone confirm this?

I think the only place this still pertains is in Shields. For X shifts you can get a Shield serving as a Block X. Which collapses when it is hit by an attack of X+1 shifts.

But you opt to take that Shield as Armor instead, then it's only a Block X/2 (half), but it isn't brought down by attacks which bypass it: it sticks around for whatever duration you gave it when casting (or prolonging).
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline ducere1315

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:37 PM »
My interpretation: you can prolong magic that has duration. If you whip a lightning bolt at someone it is a one shot effect (no duration) so it can't be prolonged. You have a lightning field block around you, then it has duration and can be prolonged. Notice that some damaging spells (like the suffocation blob spell) have duration, which could be prolonged. And blocks and manuevers can be used as means to cause damage, especially when used like grapples.

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:36:54 AM »
Thanks guys.
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes