Author Topic: A Question About The Rules For Evocation Blocks  (Read 3999 times)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A Question About The Rules For Evocation Blocks
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 08:13:45 PM »
We aren't on different sides of this argument, mostlyawake. I figure that with a spell that creates a block you can do all of the things you can normally do with a block. That being prevent one person from doing most things or prevent everyone from doing one thing. However Sanctaphrax was worried that the evocation part of the book would allow someone to create a spell that blocked all people from doing everything by simply creating a block that would prevent one person from doing everything (ala the block rules) and then extending the range to a whole zone by adding 2 shifts (ala the evocation block rules). That's what he was worried about and I think we're both trying to reassure him that it's not feasible.

On a side note from a GM/player fun perspective I think I'd do your icy floor example as a maneuver to create a scene aspect. That way it could be compelled when you wanted to prevent someone from moving or invoked for an advantage on other actions and on top of all that it would be double edged in that the GM could do the same to the players. Just sounds like more fun to me, but then again I enjoy all of that.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »
A zone block affects everyone, friend or foe.  The only problem with maneuvers is that then you need tags, and technically that means one "free tag" perhaps and then fate points should be invoked..  of course as a GM you could compel falls (offering fate points, that then require fate points to buy out of), which could indeed be very fun.

the problem with a block is that technically, one person breaking it should break it for all, which is kinda lame when the floor is iced.  So tags might actually be better here.

(For the record, I don't consider this "arguing", just.. er... discussing?)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 04:41:05 AM »
If your worried about area of effect blocks being a overpowered as they can effect multiple players then just allow all trapped pc to give a teamwork bonuses to there fellow players as only one of them needs to break it for everyone to be free and all of them struggling should weaken the block.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 01:46:01 AM »
That is a good idea. Alright, here's the houserule: "No block can stop maneuvers that will create aspects only useful for escaping the block."

Does that sound reasonable?