Author Topic: Baltimore Characters  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Willis

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Baltimore Characters
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »
Hi all.  I was reading the Baltimore section of the rulebook to get a feel for that city as the setting I'll be using for my home game, and I had a question about the suggested player characters.  The total refresh cost on some, if not all of them, is below 1.  The book says these can't be player characters, so what should be done here? 

Also, what power level are these characters made on?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Baltimore Characters
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »
Hi all.  I was reading the Baltimore section of the rulebook to get a feel for that city as the setting I'll be using for my home game, and I had a question about the suggested player characters.  The total refresh cost on some, if not all of them, is below 1.  The book says these can't be player characters, so what should be done here? 

Also, what power level are these characters made on?

I don't have them in front of me, so I'd take the highest Refresh, add one to make it playable, and then compare that to the section in the beginning of the book where it provides the power levels (Submerged, Up to Your Neck, etc.). There's also a more detailed player-produced Power Level list here.

It is also possible this is a negative/positive comprehension.  A character has a budget of X Refresh, and each power costs a negative amount, so you add those to the Refresh to get the final Adjusted Refresh.

A Submerged character has 10 Refresh. If someone buys -9 Refresh worth of powers, then they have a final Refresh of 10 + (-9) = 1. Which is playable, but will require accepting a lot of Compels to get Fate Points.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »
I think that the idea was that the characters in the Baltimore section might not have been all player characters. The best way to get characters is to have the players create there own.
"The door is ajar"

Offline Willis

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »
Some of them say "suggested player character" and have a character sheet supplied.  These are the ones I was asking about.

Offline Willis

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »
I took a close look, and I missed a crucial word in my first read through.  They're listed as a total refresh COST, not total refresh.  Thanks all and sorry for the confusion.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »
Of note if you're going to play in Baltimore then you might want to look at this.
http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/2011/01/17/casefile-neutral-grounds/

Evil Hat just released this free to download one shot adventure for the Baltimore setting. Of course I suppose that might be why you're looking at Baltimore.