Author Topic: Casefile: Neutral Grounds  (Read 16056 times)

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Casefile: Neutral Grounds
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 02:57:32 AM »
That's more "room for growth" and "slots for potions". :)

Probably could have used a line to mention that  :D

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 03:28:47 AM »
Probably could have used a line to mention that  :D

Enh. We don't stat out every bit of refinement on every NPC in the game, but you have a point.

Anyway, the author's reviewing Maria.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:22 PM »
I quite like most things about this adventure, but there are a few things that bother me.

First, Eric's name is spelled Erick in the label for his picture. Second, the benefits of Sponsored Magic (Leyline) aren't made clear. It looks like Eric has an extra specialization and two extra minor consequences, but I'm not sure that that's all. Third, the description of Eric's spirit attack rote says that he rolls Discipline at +7, but my count says +8. Fourth, the Rock Demon's Vise Grip stunt treats grappling as a non-attack trapping. Given the existence of the Wrestler stunt in YS and the attack-like nature of grappling, I don't think that this is appropriate.

I also don't like mental attacks with spellcasting or the skill list of Damocles Ravenborn, but that's more personal opinion than anything else.

PS: Who is Russel?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »
I quite like most things about this adventure, but there are a few things that bother me.

First, Eric's name is spelled Erick in the label for his picture. Second, the benefits of Sponsored Magic (Leyline) aren't made clear. It looks like Eric has an extra specialization and two extra minor consequences, but I'm not sure that that's all. Third, the description of Eric's spirit attack rote says that he rolls Discipline at +7, but my count says +8. Fourth, the Rock Demon's Vise Grip stunt treats grappling as a non-attack trapping. Given the existence of the Wrestler stunt in YS and the attack-like nature of grappling, I don't think that this is appropriate.

I also don't like mental attacks with spellcasting or the skill list of Damocles Ravenborn, but that's more personal opinion than anything else.

PS: Who is Russel?

This is set in Baltimore, which is detailed in the last chapter of Your Story. Russell and the ley line are both covered in there. Damocles' character sheet is a straight lift from that chapter.

I'll point the eggheads at the rest of your comments.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 11:53:27 PM »
Oh, I realized that Damocles was in there. I disliked it there, too.

But I totally missed Russell and the stats for the leyline. In fact, I still can't find leyline stats.

Thanks for the tip.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 12:41:52 AM »
But I totally missed Russell and the stats for the leyline. In fact, I still can't find leyline stats.

Don't have the book with me but I recall it as being in a text box somewhere in the Baltimore chapter. I'll research.
Fred Hicks

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »
YS391 and YS292 are the things to look at, assuming I didn't forget the page numbers in the time between finding them and writing this. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline ClarkValentine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 02:13:40 AM »
Hey Sanctaphrax,

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm batting this around behind the scenes.

- Clark
- Clark Valentine

Offline ClarkValentine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 02:15:18 AM »
And now for the nitpicking... (sorry!)

Don't apologize, this is good feedback. Thanks for posting!
- Clark Valentine

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 03:16:35 AM »
Toturi, no offense, but can we avoid turning this into another "Toturi's gaming group and gaming philosophy are idiosyncratic" thread?  There's enough of those back on Dumpshock. 

As for the Casefile:

Another one for Maria and Zack:  there's been a debate on the forum previously on whether or not you can craft focus items for spells if you only have Channeling/Evocation, when crafting is part of Ritual/Thaumaturgy, and the debate more or less concluded that you need Ritual/Thaumaturgy to be able to craft foci.  However, Maria has a focus-ring and Zack has a focus-staff and both have only Channeling.

Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 03:34:12 AM »
Toturi, no offense, but can we avoid turning this into another "Toturi's gaming group and gaming philosophy are idiosyncratic" thread?  There's enough of those back on Dumpshock.  
How is wanting a level playing field for both NPCs and PCs idiosyncratic?

Focus items: Would the character be able to use focus items that were given to them (that they did not craft themselves)?
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 03:45:14 AM »
Another one for Maria and Zack:  there's been a debate on the forum previously on whether or not you can craft focus items for spells if you only have Channeling/Evocation, when crafting is part of Ritual/Thaumaturgy, and the debate more or less concluded that you need Ritual/Thaumaturgy to be able to craft foci.  However, Maria has a focus-ring and Zack has a focus-staff and both have only Channeling.

YS, IIRC, stipulates that Channeling/Evocation allows you to have focus items. Ergo, it's possible to have a focus item, no? That's not connecting A to B, that's A to A. I'm not sure I'd allow you to change it once you establish it, tho. Regardless, the point is, with the item slot comes the item, as it were. No point in getting you a slot that you can't ever fill.
Fred Hicks

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 03:49:35 AM »
YS, IIRC, stipulates that Channeling/Evocation allows you to have focus items. Ergo, it's possible to have a focus item, no? That's not connecting A to B, that's A to A. I'm not sure I'd allow you to change it once you establish it, tho. Regardless, the point is, with the item slot comes the item, as it were. No point in getting you a slot that you can't ever fill.

Awesome!  I'll just link this message to the debate in question... (and thank goodness I didn't print up my pregenerated PCs for this weekend's con yet!  I now need to give the geomancer some kind of foci)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 04:00:34 AM »
On a related note there has been some discussion as to whether they (channelers) can create enchanted items too. A quick Yea/nay?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 04:15:44 AM »
On a related note there has been some discussion as to whether they (channelers) can create enchanted items too. A quick Yea/nay?

I would go with nay on those, unless a good concept is advanced that seems to play inside the bailiwick of their focused spell work, and even then that's a real outlier. But a, so to speak, "natural" focus item doesn't feel so off.
Fred Hicks