Author Topic: Alternate idea about hexing  (Read 10798 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Alternate idea about hexing
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Hexing (if I understand it correctly) in game is either done as a compel by the gm or as a power by a PC.

I need to go back and reread the rules, but I don't think there is any real way to avoid hexing things as a practitioner unless one spends a fate point.

The problem with this is that there are wizards in the DF who regularly hang out around technology.  The problem is that most of the the story is told from Harry's perspective and he is not subtle.

I was thinking that it would make more sense if a GM could compel a hex, but it would be a contest between a set number and the wizard/practitioner's discipline.

For instance, extreme emotions and consequences would all raise the level of difficulty to resist a hex by one point respectively.

What do you all think... or am I just regurgitating stuff that is already in the book?
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate idea about hexing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:24:27 AM »
There's another method - random.  When a wizard is getting emotional, roll the dice.  -4 (1 one 81 chance) something gets hexed.  If it's a really tense situation set the threshold at -3.

That takes the control away from both the players and the GM.

Richard

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
Hexing is unfortunately all over the place in the original fiction. As mentioned in previous threads, early Dresden books made a big deal out of the ramifications of having an agitated Wizard near your tech. Later books, however, highlight the newer Warden recruits regularly running around with technologically advanced firearms. One can make a case that they are younger and therefore less likely to hex things closer to tech from their own adolescence, and in some part this is covered in the Hexing table.

But between the fiction and the RPG, it remains pretty solidly as a GM Compel. In the fiction, it comes up when dramatically poignant, when a tech shortcut would make things too easy. In the RPG: same thing, and it serves as a potential vector for Fate Points to get back to the player, though whether you consider them "free" Fate Points, or a Compel of the spellcaster's High Concept is a matter of semantics.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »
Hexing is unfortunately all over the place in the original fiction. As mentioned in previous threads, early Dresden books made a big deal out of the ramifications of having an agitated Wizard near your tech. Later books, however, highlight the newer Warden recruits regularly running around with technologically advanced firearms. One can make a case that they are younger and therefore less likely to hex things closer to tech from their own adolescence, and in some part this is covered in the Hexing table.

But between the fiction and the RPG, it remains pretty solidly as a GM Compel. In the fiction, it comes up when dramatically poignant, when a tech shortcut would make things too easy. In the RPG: same thing, and it serves as a potential vector for Fate Points to get back to the player, though whether you consider them "free" Fate Points, or a Compel of the spellcaster's High Concept is a matter of semantics.

What about Luccio being involved with computers, though?  I mean, she's older than dirt... but she has great control.

In fact, before
(click to show/hide)
, Dresden was in awe of her control and effortless evocations.

I think that some sort of simple rule reflecting that a wizard who is more in control mixes with technology better would be nice.

I mean, even Harry was able to
(click to show/hide)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:55:52 AM »
What about Luccio being involved with computers, though?  I mean, she's older than dirt... but she has great control.

In fact, before
(click to show/hide)
, Dresden was in awe of her control and effortless evocations.

I think that some sort of simple rule reflecting that a wizard who is more in control mixes with technology better would be nice.

I mean, even Harry was able to
(click to show/hide)

As I said - all over the place.

I don't have "Our World" in front of me, but I wonder if Luccio has an Aspect covering her ease with technology.

I could certainly see many GMs opting for Discipline checks rather than straight Compels, but then the Spellcaster wouldn't get a Fate Point, then, would they? Or do you imagine it would go GM: "Make a roll!" Player: "I failed the roll!" GM: "Here's a Fate Point - you Hexed something!"

My opening proposal is that Harry performed an Evocation Maneuver, Discipline Maneuver, or Thaumaturgical Ritual to place a Sticky Aspect on himself like
(click to show/hide)
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:23:05 AM »
Technically, even if you do have an Aspect covering the character's ease with technology, the character can still be Compelled. In terms of game mechanics, Aspects do not provide a shield against Compels. Aspects simply allow compels or tags or invokes. For example, if your wizard has the Aspect or even if his High Concept is Technomancer (or something similar), he is still liable to be compelled to hex even if he is not supposed to. The Hexing table only covers how easy it is to deliberately hex, not how easy it is to accidentally hex.

As far as the books go, the metaphysical rules for hexing seem to change. There is still hexing, especially with Harry. But incidences of hexing in the books seem to go down. I think that Jim realises that if accidental hexing is going to be that big a deal, then it would really stretch believability if accidental hexing always makes life difficult for Harry, instead of life difficult for anyone trying to use a technological device around a wizard.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:01 AM »

I could certainly see many GMs opting for Discipline checks rather than straight Compels, but then the Spellcaster wouldn't get a Fate Point, then, would they? Or do you imagine it would go GM: "Make a roll!" Player: "I failed the roll!" GM: "Here's a Fate Point - you Hexed something!"

That actually doesn't sound too bad to me.

It gives the player a choice and can be a plot point that some wizards are better at being around technology than others. 

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:26:51 AM »
The other thing about compels is that they all depend on the relationship between the player and the GM. If a player starts with lots of aspects geared towards technology then it's clear that they would like to work with technology and the GM might want to give them a little leeway there (not to say that they shouldn't hit em at a dramatic moment).

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:32:48 AM »
The other thing about compels is that they all depend on the relationship between the player and the GM. If a player starts with lots of aspects geared towards technology then it's clear that they would like to work with technology and the GM might want to give them a little leeway there (not to say that they shouldn't hit em at a dramatic moment).

This is a valid point as well.

I think it would also be reasonable for the GM to compel less and less as the PC's control and refinement get higher.

A player being in control of his or her emotions could help a lot too.  Serenity would go a long way towards preventing hexes.

An angry character could have all the discipline in the world and still hex the heck out of stuff.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:44:31 AM »
Luccio doesn't play with computers, she reads about them. A hobby is what she called it. As far as Wardens running around with Glocks and grenades, those really are simple machines. They are very hard to mess up in real life if maintained.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:45 AM »
Luccio doesn't play with computers, she reads about them.

You know this how?

A hobby is what she called it.
Hobbies are very rarely merely academic pursuits.

As far as Wardens running around with Glocks and grenades, those really are simple machines. They are very hard to mess up in real life if maintained.

Agreed.  While Glocks are more modern than older weapons like revolvers, they actually have a simpler design and less moving parts than some of them.

In many ways advanced technology has actually created better metallurgy and production values that have /simplified/ weapons rather than making them more complicated.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:35:47 AM by BumblingBear »

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
You know this how?

I believe when she says she's interested in computers, Harry gives her a surprised look, before she clarifies that she reads about them.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
I believe when she says she's interested in computers, Harry gives her a surprised look, before she clarifies that she reads about them.
But I do not recall her denying using them though.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »
I've always wondered why a Wizard hasn't come up with a way to enchant a computer so it isn't susceptible to Hexing. Sort of like a magical Faraday Cage. 
Build it into the case then leave it dormant until the case is on the computer, activate and wizard with a working computer...of course you;d have to do that for any attached peripherals as well...but doesn't Apple already make a Magic Mouse?...*ba-dum-CHING!*
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
I've always wondered why a Wizard hasn't come up with a way to enchant a computer so it isn't susceptible to Hexing. Sort of like a magical Faraday Cage. 
Build it into the case then leave it dormant until the case is on the computer, activate and wizard with a working computer...of course you;d have to do that for any attached peripherals as well...but doesn't Apple already make a Magic Mouse?...*ba-dum-CHING!*

I think this sounds reasonable.

I also think a wizard could figure out a way to put the tower of a desktop computer in a circle to keep out stray magical currents.

It would be really nice if we could get a WOJ on this subject.