Author Topic: New Trappings  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
New Trappings
« on: January 15, 2011, 06:36:26 AM »
I had an idea for a new trapping for Endurance that I figure I'd share (after I realized the stunt I based on it was pretty crappy), but I figure I would open it up to any new trapping ideas you've had.

So, without further ado I present my new trapping for Endurance

Endurance

Take The Hit.

Rather than avoiding damage, you know you can take it, whether it be through size, supernatural toughness, regeneration, armor or some combination thereof. Calculate your Hardiness rating against the attack. This is equal to your Armor + your highest Physical Stress Box + the level of Recovery (1 for Inhuman, 2 for Supernatural, 3 for Mythic) -4, and cannot be less than 1. If the attack would satisfy your Catch, you do not get the bonuses provided by your Toughness or Recovery powers. Furthermore, the defense negates size-based attack bonuses and can be used when surprised (though an opponent can Tag a Surprised Aspect on the defender). If the defender's Hardiness is equal to or greater than the attack's Weapon Rating, then they may roll Endurance to take the hit. However, this can risky. If the defender chooses to Take The Hit, but the Weapon Rating is higher than the defender's Hardiness, they can only defend against the attack at Poor (-1).

For example, Reginald is being attacked by a Troll. He unloads his semi-automatic into it, but the Troll is not vulnerable to those kinds of bullets, so it defends by Taking The Hit. The Troll's Hardiness is 7 (4 base from the stress boxes provided by a Good endurance, 2 from Hulking Size, 2 from the stress boxes provided by Inhuman Toughness, 1 from Armor provided by Inhuman Toughness, 2 from Superhuman Recovery, -4), while the bullets are only Weapon Rating 2. The Troll can use its Good Endurance as opposed to its Fair Athletics, and Reginald does not get +1 due to the size difference.

Reginald's friend Rick, on the other hand, has a shotgun, and many shotgun shells have steel pellets. He fires at the Troll, and his player successfully Makes a Declaration that the Troll is stupid and inexperienced with mortal firearms, so it overconfidently tries to Take The Hit. Because the shotgun satisfies the Troll's Catch, the Troll's Hardiness against the shotgun is only 2 (4 from Good Endurance, 2 from Hulking Size, no Toughness or Recovery, -4). The Shotgun has a Weapon Rating of 3, and is therefore effective. The Troll rolls at -1 as it stupidly blunders into the attack, and Rick gets +1 against the Troll because of the size difference.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:30:49 AM by Peteman »