Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 133935 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #495 on: July 17, 2012, 01:30:01 PM »
Didn't she do that with Harry earlier in the series? Or was it just an incredibly suggestive scene but no actual sex? My memory's fuzzy.

She most likely did it with Harry when he was 16 yes.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline robertltux

• Posty McPostington
  • Cat Sith Must rise again
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story
« Reply #496 on: July 18, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »
In Ghost Story, there is a reference fto Father Forthill's worn King James Bible.
The KJV isn't normally used in Catholic circles, there are 2 branches of the tree in the translations from early manuscripts.  The KJV is on one branch, and the normally used Catholic Bible - the Douay-Rheims - is on the other branch.

don't forget that an educated preacher will reference the ORIGINAL TEXT for a buncha things (the version on the pulpit will be the "Official text") also don't forget that there is a lot of cross-training with both religions (Micheal hums a decidedly Protestant hymn at one point).
Jim/Bast could we have more Cat Sith???

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story
« Reply #497 on: July 18, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »
In Ghost Story, there is a reference fto Father Forthill's worn King James Bible.
The KJV isn't normally used in Catholic circles, there are 2 branches of the tree in the translations from early manuscripts.  The KJV is on one branch, and the normally used Catholic Bible - the Douay-Rheims - is on the other branch.

MY question I guess - i why would a Catholic Priest be using the King James Version?
If he tried to preach from it, he'd have the whole Congregation up in arms right up to and including the bishop.

I love the stories.
I'm also a bible college student.

Comments?

Some of us regard this as evidence that Forthill is also a secret Venator.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 18, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »
This topic discusses the King James' Bible in Forthill's room. It includes knnn's Venator theory.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 18, 2012, 07:23:50 PM »
RE: The enchantment on the wardens' swords that allows them to slice through magic - does it only work on mortal magic, or any and all magic?
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline aShorty21

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 01, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »
RE: The enchantment on the wardens' swords that allows them to slice through magic - does it only work on mortal magic, or any and all magic?

I think it works on more than just mortal magic. I am assuming this based on how Carlos' sword goes through the arm guards of Grey Cloak or Madrigal (I forget who had the arm guards). This is also under the assumption that the arm guards were not of mortal make.
DV aShorty21 V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP- JB TH++ WG++ CL SW BC++ MC---- SH(Velvet Room+++++,Murphy+++,Sarissa++,Lash+,Lara+,Molly--)

Offline Anthony

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »
What proof do we have that Harry's father was human? Ebenazar says he is mortal but we don't really know if he ever met Malcom. Yes, in Blood Rites he says something about Malcom having a good heart,

The there is the option that Malcolm was Harry's father (as in raised him) but not his biological dad. Maybe Harry's mom was already pregnant and Malcolm was so in love with Maggie that he accepted the child as his (after all, he has a good heart). It would give another spin to the story and we would have to find out who the father was and what...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:21:20 PM by Anthony »
Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done.

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 07, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »
The there is the option that Malcolm was Harry's father (as in raised him) but not his biological dad. Maybe Harry's mom was already pregnant and Malcolm was so in love with Maggie that he accepted the child as his (after all, he has a good heart). It would give another spin to the story and we would have to find out who the father was and what...

Rubbish
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 07, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »
 :o That didn't sound very polite, Sydna. I guess it was more... completely unproductive. If that had been my theory, I would want somebody to put a little more thought into a debate, rather than just dismiss it as "rubbish." Rubbish just sounds kind of mean, and probably makes Anthony not want to post his theories as freely. And we're not "that" kind of forum. We should be welcoming to new members; not shooting them down.
And it's a perfectly valid theory, imho. It may be a little cliché, true, but Jim lives for clichés. So please explain to us: what's your issue with it?

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 07, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »

Actually, I think there's a WoJ somewhere that Malcolm is Harry's father.  But maybe I'm mis-remembering. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:30:48 PM by Lash Dresden »

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 07, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
But, still. If Sydna had known, she should've come out and said that. "Rubbish" just.. isn't nice. You know? Maybe it's just me.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 07, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
But, still. If Sydna had known, she should've come out and said that. "Rubbish" just.. isn't nice. You know? Maybe it's just me.
Sorry - I should have quoted the post I was responding to.  My response was to Anthony, not Sydna.  I've posted too much weirdness around here myself to ever call someone else's theory "rubbish" - besides which, as you said, it's not nice.

ETA:  Fixed it now. :)

Offline Anthony

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 07, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »

Thanks, for the reply/support. But it takes more to dissuade me from replying   ;)

But, the more I think about it the more I think it makes sense. Jim Butcher likes to have us look in one direction and ignore another option. While we are thinking about his mother we forget the father (only now are we starting to discuss it: was he mortal). Same with Elaine; everybody I spoke with though she must be Black counsel/circle. Just for that, Jim Butcher will make her a good guy/neutral person...

But feel free to think of my ideas as rubbish  ;D
Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done.

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 07, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
Elaine just gives me a weird feeling. So does Ebenezer actually. Maybe it's just me wanting them to be his allies so badly that my sinister side keeps warning me to be prepared for a sucker punch
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 10, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »
Elaine just gives me a weird feeling. So does Ebenezer actually. Maybe it's just me wanting them to be his allies so badly that my sinister side keeps warning me to be prepared for a sucker punch

With Eb, my mind keeps coming back to that dinner he mentioned in Changes. I think he knows a lot more about the BC than he's telling. And that doesn't make me feel all happy and stuff.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.