Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 134159 times)

Offline Metekoranes

• Participant
  • Ruby. Seminole. Kriegspiel. Hatchet.
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #390 on: September 12, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
(ex-lurker here)

Been re-reading grave peril. How does Thomas learn that Harry is his brother? I know there is a WOJ ( http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21772.msg947675.html#msg947675) on this. But that doesn't seem to answer the question.

Unsolved mystery ?

Offline Kacher

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 20, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Hello, new to this community , Huge fan of the books.

We know that one of Mother winter powers is the unraveling

what is Mother summer powers ?

I assume in the line of creation ???

If i take a quote from Summer Knight
"An unmaking, boy. I am the unmaker, the destroyer. It is what I am. Bound within
those threads is the power to undo any enchantment done. Touch the cloth to that which
must be undone. Unravel the threads. It will be so."

Isn't it a description of the forces of hell ? their goal to destroy and bring chaos ?
or i misunderstand the purpose of hell? (in DV/F)

hmm, now that Harry is a Winter Knight and Mab take him to the court we will get lots of insight on the courts specially winter court in Cold Days, how the powers and balances is work there, what the mothers can do, and their sphere of control.

Plus i wonder what is Summer Capital and if they have something like the well Winter has but Summer thing.

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 20, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »
Welcome, Kacher. I'd say your first stop should be the WoJ compilation, by Serack. We don't know the exact capabilities of the Mothers, but we do have an idea of their power level relative to other entities.
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline dantesparadise

• Conversationalist
  • Abandon hope, all ye who enter here
    • View Profile
    • Lost: Midnight Mist Preview
« Reply #393 on: September 21, 2011, 01:23:18 AM »
Hello, new to this community , Huge fan of the books.

We know that one of Mother winter powers is the unraveling

what is Mother summer powers ?

I assume in the line of creation ???

If i take a quote from Summer Knight
"An unmaking, boy. I am the unmaker, the destroyer. It is what I am. Bound within
those threads is the power to undo any enchantment done. Touch the cloth to that which

Isn't it a description of the forces of hell ? their goal to destroy and bring chaos ?
or i misunderstand the purpose of hell? (in DV/F)

hmm, now that Harry is a Winter Knight and Mab take him to the court we will get lots of insight on the courts specially winter court in Cold Days, how the powers and balances is work there, what the mothers can do, and their sphere of control.

Plus i wonder what is Summer Capital and if they have something like the well Winter has but Summer thing.

I think Mother Winter is just a  force of nature. Not passionate. Not calculating.  She just is.  She's Entropy.  Hell and its minions on the other hand do have a purpose, to be the antithesis of God.  They use chaos to unmake creation.  Mother Winter is chaos.
I died.  There was no life flashing before my eyes.  There were no harps.  There were no white robes.  There was no land of milk and honey.  There were no wings…

Offline Kacher

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 21, 2011, 07:48:17 AM »
I think Mother Winter is just a  force of nature. Not passionate. Not calculating.  She just is.  She's Entropy.  Hell and its minions on the other hand do have a purpose, to be the antithesis of God.  They use chaos to unmake creation.  Mother Winter is chaos.

Then why attempting to avoid the mess Aurora planned to do. 
Another thought, if Power is all that count for the Fea, why winter tried to stop Aurora plans, if she succeeded they would have got massive amounts of energy/power.

Aren't they all power hungry ?

Offline Kacher

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 21, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »
we saw in the series currently, 5 events that either were HUGE or had the potential to HUGE.

The first event i pick is in Death Mask the attempt to restart a world wide plague.
On this event we have a prophecy attached too.

The other 4 events are also massive.

1) Small Favor, direct involvement of the Prince of Darkness or Hell it self to turn Archive into Denarian.
Should there plan succeed a chance in the power balance, Lucio said that Ivy is equal in power to one of courts ladies, Dresden think she is underestimate it.
2) Dead Beat, an attempt to create a new demi god (Dark Hollow).
3) Changes, the death of all the Red Court, this is massive chance in world power and balance and it did come to pass not like the 2 others i mention.
4) the biggest potential of damage that could have happen in my opinion is in Summer Knight, Aurora trying to freaking totally unbalance the courts, first by giving Winter Summer Knight Energy and later trying to give them Summer Lady power.

why there weren't any Prophecies on the subject huge potential for destruction, specially the last one almost threw the world another and possibly forever Ice Age.

so to what extent Prophesies are tools in the DV ?

Something else.
when thinking further on Summer Knight events, it is clear something is still weird there, i will place try to place my thoughts in readable fashion then post.

P.S.
If this isn't the right thread, please move it,
Sorry for any English violation, English isn't my first language.

Offline Cryslafax

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 21, 2011, 04:13:05 PM »
Then why attempting to avoid the mess Aurora planned to do.
Another thought, if Power is all that count for the Fea, why winter tried to stop Aurora plans, if she succeeded they would have got massive amounts of energy/power.

Aren't they all power hungry ?

Mother Winter is a Fae.  Fae in Butcher's mythos seem to operate as elements of creation (by that I mean reality) itself.  They have a place in it.  Mother Winter doesn't want to destroy things.  At least, not before their ordained time to be destroyed.  Hell's forces seem to want to destroy things early.  They want to wreck God's plan, as it were.  Mother Winter is simply acting according to her plan (God's plan I suppose, since God created everything, but I digress).

Offline The Fish

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 23, 2011, 12:08:08 AM »
Welcome, Kacher!
from the way i understand it, the Mothers are able to see the bigger picture and live in harmony. By giving Harry the unraveling, she made sure that balance was maintained in the mortal world and Fae.
As for your 4 events, none of them actually came through, except the Red Court falling, and while existed in potentia did not result in a large, evil power being made.
And there was a prophecy for Nicodemus' plague, but the KotC only heard half of it.
from what we've seen so far, it seems that prophecies are about much bigger things, as Lash hinted in white Knight.
but I, too, digress
Are you my mummy? - Dr. Who, The Empty Child

"You May Not Get killed"- City motto of Ank-Morpork

Offline Kacher

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 23, 2011, 11:07:17 AM »
Aurora almost brought Winter and Summer to the brink of war somethign that didn't happen in the last 1k years (Bob is 1k year old and he doesn't aware of it) we can assume base on info in Summer Knight that it might have happened when last ice age start or end, couple of millions of years.

Not to mention Aurora first tried to give Winter the power of Summer Knight and then Summer Lady attempting to ruin the balance totally (something that didn't happen before) and throw the world into for ever Ice age, extinguishing all life probably on Earth , might even end the Summer court and ruin the entire powers balance in DV.
One of the things that keep Titania or Mab in check is each other, no Mab or no Titania mean they will roam freely causing......

A coming of never ending Ice age seems to me pretty heavy :) then some plague heavy as it is
Remember plague can roam as long it is has prey when it eaten all its prey it die , so if it is hitting hard it will vanish even faster after everybody died :) and there will be always survivors at least not human.
read the theories of why Dinosaurs no longer roam the earth, it wasn't the meteor that killed them all or the blast from the impact it was the fact 1k years of total winter is what brought their end (assuming it was a meteor and not a result of Winter winning the war :) )

If DM prophecy didn't exists what would have happen  ?
The knights would still gather in Chicago they follow evil regardless if there is prophecy or not.
Dresden would have help them fully from the start, instead been kept out cause of half prophecy and then hunt the full one to find he is totally needed.

So something is off it appear in my opinion.

Another Question maybe we will get a new WoJ, did a war among the Fea courts brought the end to the Dinosaurs (due to 1k years of nuclear winter, dust cover the atmosphere causing no light and warmth reach the surface ? )

Offline co99p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 24, 2011, 12:58:30 AM »

Destruction is not evil in itself - If winter didn't unmake the growth of summer there would be no room for new growth.   If your body can't "unmake" broccoli it can't then turn it into teeth and bones.     Or Chocolate - if your body couldn't destroy the chocolate you ate, then you wouldn't ever have room for more.  Only eating chocolate once?  Now That's evil

Funny Stuff  XKCD http://xkcd.com/585/   Indexed http://thisisindexed.com/     
Ignorance is what killed the cat. It then framed Curiosity for the murder. No harm in asking.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 02, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
How old is the gatekeeper? to have killed the author of The Necronomicon he would have to be at least 1300 years old.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline uncanny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 04, 2011, 09:06:58 AM »
How old is the gatekeeper? to have killed the author of The Necronomicon he would have to be at least 1300 years old.
Or have the permission/access to jump time...

Offline Reventon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 12, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »
Just a couple of theories on the mantle Eb may have had in mind for Harry. Sorry if I hash up any old ground, there's still a lot of threads I haven't been able to read here and I only read about 1/2 - 2/3 of this one.:

The main one I've seen people bring up before is the Gatekeeper. This one makes a lot of sense. Something about the timing and circumstances of Harry's birth seems to make him ideal at whupping outsiders, and while we've never had any explanation of the Gatekeeper's title, one can assume that it's something along the lines of "Keeping the Outer Gates intact." Or perhaps even permitting them to open on occasion, given that the Council has a Blackstaff. I would assume that this is why the Desert Fox has cultivated relations within the faerie courts at least, if not having much further and expansive knowledge of the Nevernever, because he needs to know when big entities are stirring or when someone might decide to play fast and loose with the fabric of reality.

The other one is a replacement Blackstaff. Given that Eb has tremendous personal respect for Harry and also knows that Harry understands perfectly well how to deal with personal temptation and overcome it, this one makes some sense. On the one hand, Ebenezar would feel pained and guilty to have to give Harry such a burden... on the other, who else could he actually trust with that kind of power?

Third one that comes to mind is Captain of the Wardens. This one isn't as absurd as it might seem on the face. For a young Wizard, Harry has whomped and stomped more big nasty supernatural threats than basically everyone except the senior council members. The younger generation of wizards, who now compose the core of the warden's fighting force following the events of Dead Beat, all respect and admire him. The supernatural world fears him. He killed a faerie queen in the middle of a pitched battle, offed a vampire noble in her own house, summoned the Erlking and contained him on his own, whupped all of Kemmler's disciples, raided Arctis Tor with a mere handful of people, became the Winter Knight and he is now the big, bad mofo who murdered the whole damn Red Court. Also, given that few people truly know Eb was responsible for Casaverde, there must be at least a couple who suspect Harry. All that on top of the fact that he's a brilliant investigator, so as the head of the "magic police" as well as the White Council's army, he's uniquely suited to handling basically every responsibility the role entails.

In any case just being able to threaten an enemy that you're going to sic that Harry Dresden guy and his army on them would have most Old World baddies wetting their pants with fear (basically anything short of Ferrovax would get nervous IMO). A truly inspired council would make that move... and therein lies the rub.

The last one...please don't laugh. Well, try and restrict it, anyway. It struck me that maybe Ebenezar saw Harry as somebody capable of changing the Council entirely, of being the Merlin.

Chances of it happening? Very low, right now. Short of, you know, big bad scary apocalyptic events that change everyone's priorities. Such as might occur in a BAT. Amoracchius was entrusted to the original Merlin, Harry has functioned as custodian for two such swords. As mentioned, he's taken on all manner of threats in his young life, has a legendary reputation, a hefty level of power and magic arsenal...and don't forget that he's something of a direct successor to the original Merlin's teachings. The journal Ebenezar keeps that we see in Turn Coat is a long continuance of thoughts and knowledge going from master to student from the big M himself.

Besides which, on a political level, who actually has as many alliances as Harry? The White Court respect him, the Faerie Courts are all over him, The Church are best buds with him and unlike most wizards, he has a good number of mortal contacts - SI might not be as potent anymore, but they're still a whole department of the CPD, and I get the feeling Tilly's going to be pretty significant. Not to mention Marcone. That, and he's actually managed to politically outmaneuever Langtry (if only by the skin of his teeth) more than once now.  Oh yeah, and Uriel likes him too.

It's a longshot...but given events up until now, it seems way more likely than it did a few books back. Plus, really it's only what Ebenezar might want for him, not what will necessarily happen.

Have I gone crazy from sleep and caffeine deprivation or does this make some kind of sense?

Offline The Fish

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 13, 2011, 01:05:44 AM »
Actually, I see him becoming this last more than the others, except maybe captain of the Wardens. (This does not say i don't see him becoming the others). It has been stated in WoJ's (Mighty Serack, correct me if i'm wrong) that the merlin is elected in a vote of the entire WC as the wizards most other wizards are willing to follow, not necesarily the most magically powerful wizard. I see this happening particularly if Harry has become the captain of the wardens (which would imply something happening to Luccio, just as i was really starting to like her) or something has happened to either kill off most of the anti-harry wizards or for him to gain their trust and respect.
Are you my mummy? - Dr. Who, The Empty Child

"You May Not Get killed"- City motto of Ank-Morpork

Offline co99p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 13, 2011, 03:36:24 AM »
I don't see the White Council electing the new (Changes/GS spoiler)
(click to show/hide)
as Captian of the Wardens,
(click to show/hide)
?
Funny Stuff  XKCD http://xkcd.com/585/   Indexed http://thisisindexed.com/     
Ignorance is what killed the cat. It then framed Curiosity for the murder. No harm in asking.