Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 134395 times)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
It comes from me, and it's a one of my pet theories :)

Kemmler died 1961, probably during an acension attempt

Harry born 1971, oct 31..which is the day you use for such things

then when you throw in various 'what he was meant to be comments'

Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
WARNING: don't read Duck's "pet theories" unless you want your mind asploded... they are almost all completely impossible to prove wrong and make no sense/perfect sense at the same time ;D
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »
Thank You !

and read everyone else's when you are there:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24909.0.html
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline tigerj13

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 07, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »
Sorry, I just saw this thread... which is awesome.  Question I have, what came through from the other side.  Everyone assumed it was the Nightmare, but it was supposed to be this HUGE thing, and the nightmare turned out to just be a very focused ghost (this was in Grave Peril)
Harry could never be real... no one is that fast with the snark.

Offline The Fish

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 07, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »
in response to your sig, i know soooo many people who pulll amazing wizeass comments out of their sleeves on the SLIGHTEST provocation, so quickly that no one even knows what happened.
Are you my mummy? - Dr. Who, The Empty Child

"You May Not Get killed"- City motto of Ank-Morpork

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 07, 2011, 11:34:59 PM »
Stormfront - When did Marcone learn about magic. Did he know it before Harry and him soulgazed.

Where did he find out about Vadderung.
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 08, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »
I am begining to suspect he allways knew...

Offline ImpishMortal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Ebon Gryphon Games
« Reply #292 on: April 08, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
Okay, I'm starting to think that JB needs a CONTINUITY OBSESSED beta reader, because I just caught another plot-hole.

During the meeting with Nicky and the Nickelheads at Shedd Aquarium in Small Favor, after they raised their pentangle or whatever it was (pentagon? pentacle? pentagram?), to cage the Archive and shut her away from help...?

Why, exactly, did Anastasia Luccio, who was present and did have the item in question, fail to simply use her Warden's Sword-- made to cut through ANY enchantment-- to cut through the barrier and charge in to help with Murphy at her side, and Michael and Sanya not far behind?

Ooops.

It stands to reason that Peabody probably was already influencing her at this point. And since we don't know who or what comprises the Black Council at this point, I think it acceptable to postulate that at least one member of the Denarians is on it. Therefore, Luccio's inaction in disrupting the barrier (assuming she could, of course) only served the Black Council's purpose.

Here's a question: Did Lash's last comment before "self-destructing" seem cryptic to anyone else? I don't have White Night nearby, but if I recall correctly, she said that she would explain everything later. For some reason, I always felt like she took a huge chunk of Harry's life force and used it to create a physical/astral form in order to come back later. Remember Bob made a big deal about how much spirit damage Harry had taken. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:12:08 PM by impishmortal »

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
  • Dingdong, Soul Eater Home Delivery, may I come in?
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 08, 2011, 10:49:20 PM »
I'm not sure that the Warden's swords DO cut through any enchantment. I thought it was only the Swords of the Cross did that? Have I forgotten it somewhere or other?
I turned back to my table, leaned forward, and banged my head gently on the wooden surface. Several times.
------
When I want an opinion from you, I'll read it in your entrails.

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 08, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
nope its the warden's swards.
The Wardens toted silver swords with them whenever there was a fight at hand. I had seen them unravel complex, powerful magic at the will of their wielders, which is one hell of an advantage when taking on anything using magic as a weapon.
WN
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 08, 2011, 11:25:53 PM »
nope its the warden's swards.WN

Interesting, thanks for posting that. Although it doesn't say "any" enchantment, so that might give us an out for Luccio's failure to act....

For that matter, if they could actually unravel ANY enchantment -- as that unravelling cloth did in Summer Knight -- then they should be able to "cure" things like the half-turned Red Court vamps. And we know they can't do that, or Harry would've gotten somebody to lay them on Susan already (or something similar). So that makes me think that there are limits to the enchantments they can affect...
I turned back to my table, leaned forward, and banged my head gently on the wooden surface. Several times.
------

Offline ImpishMortal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Ebon Gryphon Games
« Reply #296 on: April 08, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »
Interesting, thanks for posting that. Although it doesn't say "any" enchantment, so that might give us an out for Luccio's failure to act....

For that matter, if they could actually unravel ANY enchantment -- as that unravelling cloth did in Summer Knight -- then they should be able to "cure" things like the half-turned Red Court vamps. And we know they can't do that, or Harry would've gotten somebody to lay them on Susan already (or something similar). So that makes me think that there are limits to the enchantments they can affect...

Maybe it's more along the lines of spells/wards and not necessarily objects/creatures that are magical in nature.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2011, 01:37:35 AM »
well for one thing, when they unravela n enchantment, they don't dispell it. it explodes.. look at the whampire's protection bands.

she may have just looked at the pentagram, done some quick math, and thought ' oh heck no'

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2011, 04:11:42 AM »
Also, the RC infection may not be so much an enchantment as an alteration in the nature of the being.  And even if it was an enchantment, it's a full-body, internalized one- breaking it with a warden's sword would be like trying to surgically destroy every virus in the body to cure a disease. 

As for the pentagram, Ms Duck has a pretty plausible explanation.  If the enchantment is violently released, slashing blindly through something like that would be somewhat suicidal.  Actually, I don't remember off the top of my head, but I don't think Luccio was even there for the climactic battle of SmF.  It was just Harry and the Knights on Demonreach, with the rest as backup.
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2011, 04:18:38 AM »
Also, the RC infection may not be so much an enchantment as an alteration in the nature of the being.

It's gotta be an enchantment in some sense, because Harry believed he could have cured Susan by using the unravelling cloth.

And even if it was an enchantment, it's a full-body, internalized one- breaking it with a warden's sword would be like trying to surgically destroy every virus in the body to cure a disease.  

This is the problem I see. Would the sword have to literally slice through Susan in order to "cure" her? Dunno!

As for the pentagram, Ms Duck has a pretty plausible explanation.  If the enchantment is violently released, slashing blindly through something like that would be somewhat suicidal.

Maybe, maybe not. Harry broke the pentagram (edited -- sorry, "circle") on the island by laying into it with his staff. As he said "It only takes a monkey with a big stick to take it apart." But that, of course, is assuming that you have access to the physical foundations of the spell.

Actually, I don't remember off the top of my head, but I don't think Luccio was even there for the climactic battle of SmF.  It was just Harry and the Knights on Demonreach, with the rest as backup.

Right. But they were talking about the Shedd Aquarium, where Luccio was stuck outside while the Denarians were fighting Harry, Kincaid, and Ivy inside.
------