Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 134344 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2011, 01:31:13 PM »
Oooohhh it was definitely a burn

Plausibly a freezer burn, though.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »
Plausibly a freezer burn, though.

Doesn't smell like burned meat.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »
New mystery:  is it "white for protection" (Grave Peril, page 200), or "blue for defense" (Proven Guilty page 155)?

p.s. right after, it lists "white for purity".

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
  • Dingdong, Soul Eater Home Delivery, may I come in?
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »
New mystery:  is it "white for protection" (Grave Peril, page 200), or "blue for defense" (Proven Guilty page 155)?

p.s. right after, it lists "white for purity".

Well......if you wanted to reconcile the two, you could say that "purity" would "protect" one when calling up an Evil Demon. The "white for protection" consisted of white candles in a summoning circle, after all.....
I turned back to my table, leaned forward, and banged my head gently on the wooden surface. Several times.
------
When I want an opinion from you, I'll read it in your entrails.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »
Well......if you wanted to reconcile the two, you could say that "purity" would "protect" one when calling up an Evil Demon. The "white for protection" consisted of white candles in a summoning circle, after all.....

Nice!
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Torvaun

• Participant
  • Dresdenphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2011, 02:15:46 AM »
You have an asterisk next to "Who hit Harry's car?"  I'd like to know what the consensus is on that.

Consequences of Molly being taken to Arctis Tor: Harry went to Arctis Tor, as did Charity, Murphy, and Thomas.
Consequences of Harry going to Arctis Tor: Harry discovered Hellfire was used in an attack.  Harry discovered Slate was still alive.  Harry discovered Lea was encased in ice and being cured of madness through exquisite torment.  Harry ended Scarecrow.  Summer Fire met Winter's wellspring.  A bunch of fetches got killed.  Some snow ogres got killed.
Consequences of Harry discovering Hellfire was used to attack Arctis Tor: Nicodemus learned that Hellfire was used to assault Arctis Tor.
I have the feeling that this is way more important to Mab than Harry sucker-punching a fetch, no matter how badass it is.  Also, I disagree with the theory that Scarecrow had outsider stuff going on.  Harry's fire was stopping after a couple feet of travel, not immediately before hitting Scarecrow.  That's Winter choking it out until Summer countered it.

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 30, 2011, 02:52:58 AM »
You have an asterisk next to "Who hit Harry's car?"  I'd like to know what the consensus is on that.

Consequences of Molly being taken to Arctis Tor: Harry went to Arctis Tor, as did Charity, Murphy, and Thomas.
Consequences of Harry going to Arctis Tor: Harry discovered Hellfire was used in an attack.  Harry discovered Slate was still alive.  Harry discovered Lea was encased in ice and being cured of madness through exquisite torment.  Harry ended Scarecrow.  Summer Fire met Winter's wellspring.  A bunch of fetches got killed.  Some snow ogres got killed.
Consequences of Harry discovering Hellfire was used to attack Arctis Tor: Nicodemus learned that Hellfire was used to assault Arctis Tor.
I have the feeling that this is way more important to Mab than Harry sucker-punching a fetch, no matter how badass it is.  Also, I disagree with the theory that Scarecrow had outsider stuff going on.  Harry's fire was stopping after a couple feet of travel, not immediately before hitting Scarecrow.  That's Winter choking it out until Summer countered it.

The fact that Summer's fire effected the Scarecrow at all means it did not have Outsider stuff, because only Mortal magic effects the Outsiders
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 30, 2011, 05:32:21 AM »
The fact that Summer's fire effected the Scarecrow at all means it did not have Outsider stuff, because only Mortal magic effects the Outsiders

We know that only mortal magic can summon them into the (mortal) world, anyway.  Could you tell me which book (WN?) I should look in for the passage about mortal magic?

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 30, 2011, 05:34:56 AM »
We know that only mortal magic can summon them into the (mortal) world, anyway.  Could you tell me which book (WN?) I should look in for the passage about mortal magic?

I don't remember what book it was from, I may just be mis-remembering when it says only mortal magic can summon them. Does anyone else remember?
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 30, 2011, 05:53:33 AM »
several; one is Harry and Eb talking at end of PG...when they conclude the black council includes mortal wizards.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »

Nicodemus has this apparently shocked reaction at precisely a point where he is working really hard to distract Harry, so relying on it being a real reaction seems a bit dodgy to me.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2011, 03:53:03 PM »

I don't think so.

There is a pattern through the books of villains being enhanced with added powers, but still keeping their original nature.  If the Scarecrow is still basically a Winter fetch with an Outsider power-up, Summer fire should still be able to effect its Winter nature, in much the same way as being shot with mortal weapons can injure Lord Raith in BR or Vittorio in WN despite them having Outsider power-ups.

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 31, 2011, 12:54:48 AM »
I don't know if this has already been asked (i missed a few replies in these 18 pages) and its more of an add-on to other related questions.   There has been at least 4 instances where Harry feels a female presence or hears a female voice that he says he should recognize. The one i just ran across happens in Death Masks when he is having nightmares:

"A woman who seemed familiar but whom i did not recognize shook her head and drew her hand from left to right. The dream-scenery faded to black in the wake of her motion. She turned to me, dark eyes intent and said, "You need rest."- Death Masks, pg. 150

The most ready answer i can think of is his mom. Did she somehow create a shadow inside of him the same way denarians do? Nicodemus did say that he used to know and respect her. A possibility maybe. Food for thought.
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 31, 2011, 04:10:34 AM »
I don't know if this has already been asked (i missed a few replies in these 18 pages) and its more of an add-on to other related questions.   There has been at least 4 instances where Harry feels a female presence or hears a female voice that he says he should recognize. The one i just ran across happens in Death Masks when he is having nightmares:

"A woman who seemed familiar but whom i did not recognize shook her head and drew her hand from left to right. The dream-scenery faded to black in the wake of her motion. She turned to me, dark eyes intent and said, "You need rest."- Death Masks, pg. 150

The most ready answer i can think of is his mom. Did she somehow create a shadow inside of him the same way denarians do? Nicodemus did say that he used to know and respect her. A possibility maybe. Food for thought.

We had a big thread on this idea not to long ago, I don't remember what our end ideas where though

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 31, 2011, 04:49:34 AM »
Sad i missed that thread then, cause it has been bothering me for awhile. Anybody remember the outcome?
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac