Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 134317 times)

Offline unfilthy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #210 on: March 09, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »
I like the idea of Cowl doing prep work, like Mavra did with the ghosts, and I find it more plausible than the Erlking explanation. What confuses me is that I gathered that post-Changes we're meant to think Erlking  (hence the *), which seems like a much less plausible explanation for the wolf belts falling into FBI hands.

Offline Renady

• Lurker
  • Evil but cute. It evens out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2011, 12:14:07 AM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not (it wasn't on the list though), but couldn't you say that Harry's skill at Listening is an unsolved mystery?

So far, we know that:

Harry aquirred the skill from time and practice
The Gatekeeper has it as well:

"I understand you know how to Listen, too." (SK, 42)

But other than the times when Harry and the Gatekeeper use the skill, Listening is hardly (if at all) mentioned in the series. Do other wizards have the potential to learn how to Listen, and do they even know about the skill?

Offline Grey Paladin

• Conversationalist
  • Fanfiction is not a right-- it's a privilege!
    • View Profile
    • My RANT HEAVY LiveJournal (WILL offend some!)
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2011, 06:38:19 AM »
At the risk of repeating myself:

Here's one that's been bugging me for a while:

When Harry's house caught fire in Changes, why, exactly, didn't Mouse just start with his "Patented ALARM! Bark" to wake Mrs. Spunklecrief and the upstairs people?
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -- Robert McCloskey

"The High Priest is the heart of the faith. The priests are the body of the faith. The Paladin... is the fist of the faith!"

Offline unfilthy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »

When Harry's house caught fire in Changes, why, exactly, didn't Mouse just start with his "Patented ALARM! Bark" to wake Mrs. Spunklecrief and the upstairs people?

I second this question.

It's amazing the number of things I ended up forgetting about by the time I reached the end of Changes, but in any other book, this would be a huge WTF for me, personally.

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »
Oops, missed that one earlier.  Added!
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline wildone654

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2011, 11:22:17 PM »

Because then Jim would have had to come up with some other way to break Harry's back...

Offline LogicMouseLives

• Posty McPostington
  • Hop on the logic train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2011, 01:35:52 AM »
Because then Jim would have had to come up with some other way to break Harry's back...

Shhh!
 ;D ;D
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DV LogicMouseLives v1.1 YR4.5FR4 BK++++ JB+ TH(+++) WG CL BC- SH [Murphy+++ Molly--] RP++ MC----FF++++

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2011, 10:14:28 PM »
Oops, missed that one earlier.  Added!

My guess is that Mouse's earlier fight with the Ick had depleted his spiritual batteries, as it were.
"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."
----------
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down

Offline Lee3178

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2011, 05:03:39 PM »

Ummm.  I think Molly had taken Mouse for walk or something.  They were not at the apartment when the eebs set it afire.  Just Harry. 

Offline Lee3178

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Harry's invisible lady friend?  The one who guided his hand to his amulet in Storm Front and who Harry periodically smells--most recently in Changes at the church?

Offline Grey Paladin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
Ummm.  I think Molly had taken Mouse for walk or something.  They were not at the apartment when the eebs set it afire.  Just Harry. 

I'm afraid you're wrong on that one:  Molly actually yelled at Harry to look out, and Mouse was there.

Grey
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -- Robert McCloskey

"The High Priest is the heart of the faith. The priests are the body of the faith. The Paladin... is the fist of the faith!"

Offline Lee3178

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »
Oops! Note to Lee: do not rely on your memory.  It ain't all that.

Offline Grey Paladin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 21, 2011, 05:03:13 AM »
Okay, I'm starting to think that JB needs a CONTINUITY OBSESSED beta reader, because I just caught another plot-hole.

During the meeting with Nicky and the Nickelheads at Shedd Aquarium in Small Favor, after they raised their pentangle or whatever it was (pentagon? pentacle? pentagram?), to cage the Archive and shut her away from help...?

Why, exactly, did Anastasia Luccio, who was present and did have the item in question, fail to simply use her Warden's Sword-- made to cut through ANY enchantment-- to cut through the barrier and charge in to help with Murphy at her side, and Michael and Sanya not far behind?

Ooops.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
Can Luccio make a sword that can cut through Lucifer's magic? Possible but doubtful.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
Why, exactly, did Anastasia Luccio, who was present and did have the item in question, fail to simply use her Warden's Sword-- made to cut through ANY enchantment-- to cut through the barrier and charge in to help with Murphy at her side, and Michael and Sanya not far behind?

Ooops.
WOJ regarding the swords:

They don't cut through anything.  They are super good for cutting through/disrupting fields of magical energy.  They rip through magic-charged ectoplasm of the nevernever, like the kind demons make when they need a body to inhabit in the real world, like there's no tomorrow.  Otherwise, they are simply swords created by a master of the craft with centuries of experience from the finest alloys available at the time of their creation.

Jim
source: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,2894.msg65377.html#msg65377
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges