Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 134356 times)

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2011, 01:02:13 AM »
So, now that the GS chapter 1 preview is out, does anyone object to adding GS-spoilery questions to this thread?
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2011, 01:50:46 AM »
So, now that the GS chapter 1 preview is out, does anyone object to adding GS-spoilery questions to this thread?

I don't have a problem with it, but you should add Ghost Story spoilers to the title and we should still put spoiler tags on all material in the thread, so that those who don't want to get spoiled can still use the thread.
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline wildone654

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2011, 05:37:18 AM »
I've got  a question thats been bugging me for awhile, why was that Dragon (who from all the WoJ and such I've read could very well be the most powerful entity we have seen to date) at Bianca's party???

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
I've got  a question thats been bugging me for awhile, why was that Dragon (who from all the WoJ and such I've read could very well be the most powerful entity we have seen to date) at Bianca's party???
Open bar.
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »

That's a very good question.  I have a feeling we won't find out until the BAT.  Everyone at the party got a gift from the Black Council.  We don't know anything about what his was except that it fit in a box.  With him being so powerful, I'm half wondering if he took the gift for simply staying out of their way rather than being a fully allied.  If not, I think Amoracchius will get another notch in it scabbard  :D
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »
That's a very good question.  I have a feeling we won't find out until the BAT.  Everyone at the party got a gift from the Black Council.  We don't know anything about what his was except that it fit in a box.  With him being so powerful, I'm half wondering if he took the gift for simply staying out of their way rather than being a fully allied.  If not, I think Amoracchius will get another notch in it scabbard  :D

There are a few questions re: Ferrovax that we don't have answers for, at least as far as I know. 1) Why does Michael call him "Blood of the Dragon, that old Serpent", 2) what was in the Box ? 3), as you say, why was he there/involved at all?

Another suggestion for a question: I remember that at some point, Malcolm Dresden starts appearing in Harry's dreams, saying he couldn't show up before then because the other side hadn't broken the rules yet, or something like that. What rules? What other side? What broke them and how?

As a suggestion -- this is a great thread, but it would be even more helpful if the theories that had asterisks also had explanations as to what the asterisks were referring to.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:44:51 PM by Thork »
"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."
----------
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2011, 10:37:53 PM »
Ferrovax is already in the list, but I can add another question, if you'd like.

-Why was Ferrovax at Bianca’s party, and what did he receive?

@Thork: Thanks for the suggestion, I've been meaning to replace the asterisks with numbered superscripts linked to explanations, but just haven't got around to doing it yet.  Hopefully, this reminder will shame me out of procrastination.  ;)
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline wildone654

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:40 AM »
Ah sorry, must have glanced passed him.

Ya I dunno, Ferro bugs me.  Him going to Bianca's "welcome to the court" party is like if Jesus showed up personaly at your Grade School Graduation.  Seems real fishy. 

Offline Grey Paladin

• Conversationalist
  • Fanfiction is not a right-- it's a privilege!
    • View Profile
    • My RANT HEAVY LiveJournal (WILL offend some!)
« Reply #188 on: March 04, 2011, 02:53:22 AM »
Here's one that's been bugging me for a while:

When Harry's house caught fire in Changes, why, exactly, didn't Mouse just start with his "Patented ALARM! Bark" to wake Mrs. Spunklecrief and the upstairs people?
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -- Robert McCloskey

"The High Priest is the heart of the faith. The priests are the body of the faith. The Paladin... is the fist of the faith!"

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »
There are a few questions re: Ferrovax that we don't have answers for, at least as far as I know. 1) Why does Michael call him "Blood of the Dragon, that old Serpent", 2) what was in the Box ? 3), as you say, why was he there/involved at all?

I believe Michael calls Marva "Blood of the Dragon" - leading to our speculation that since Dracula son of Drakul "started the Black Court as teenage rebellion", that Drakul is a half-dragon scion.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
I believe Michael calls Marva "Blood of the Dragon" - leading to our speculation that since Dracula son of Drakul "started the Black Court as teenage rebellion", that Drakul is a half-dragon scion.

Yeah, it was Mavra, my bad. I think the actual quote you're referencing though is that Dracula "went to" the Black Court as a kind of teenage rebellion, though, he didn't "start" it -- the black court predates Dracula by a long while. 
"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."
----------
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
1) Why does Michael call him "Blood of the Dragon, that old Serpent"
Yeah, it was Mavra, my bad. I think the actual quote you're referencing though is that Dracula "went to" the Black Court as a kind of teenage rebellion, though, he didn't "start" it -- the black court predates Dracula by a long while. 

I'm pretty sure "Blood of the Dragon, that Old serpent," is a reference to Revelation 20:2 (KJV).

"And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,"

I can see a few possibilities here.  There's also a large possibility of forshadowing on Jim Butcher's part.

1) Michael was speaking metaphoricaly and just calling Marva evil in a really cool way.

2) Michael is implying that Drakul is either a dragon or spawn of a dragon

3) Michael is implying that Drakul is either the Devil or spawn of the Devil

4) Michael is implying that Drakul is the spawn of the Devil and a dragon.  (Run fast, run far, don't look back, and hope you're wearing dark brown pants. :) )
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure "Blood of the Dragon, that Old serpent," is a reference to Revelation 20:2 (KJV).

"And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,"

Ok, that's a damn good catch on your part -- whichever the resolution, I think it's a damn good question! I just sparked onto it because I noticed Bianca referencing the "Lords of Outer Night" a few paragraphs later, and obviously we didn't get them identified till Changes, so Michael's reference there seemed worth investigating. (From your post, my guess is #3, but it's a neat question whatever way!)
----------

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2011, 01:55:59 AM »
Frakul does mean dragon, but we havee canon that he and the black court are not related.

(being as his son joined them to get away from dad.)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »
Frakul does mean dragon, but we havee canon that he and the black court are not related.

(being as his son joined them to get away from dad.)
How does a Dragon, a force of nature, have a kid? I mean, Shagnasty was neither male or female and his power level isn't anywhere near Ferro's or Mab's. Do these super-powerful beings get pregged in the traditional sense? Or do they just will an offspring into existence?

And as for Drakul's rebellious son who joined the Black Court....if Drakul is a dragon would that make his son, who I presume is Dracula, half-dragon half-blampire? That seems kinda scary.
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.