Author Topic: DFRPG Supplement  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Synthesse

• Participant
  • One-Woman Rave
    • View Profile
DFRPG Supplement
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:56:23 AM »
So, I didn't see a thread on this, so I'm not sure if you guys had heard - apparently a third DFRPG book is in the works, at least according to Evil Hat: http://www.deadlyfredly.com/2010/12/confessional/

What do you all think they'll include in it? My guess would be updates for the most recent books, and perhaps some rules clarifications from the previous two books.

If you had your choice, what would you want to see in it? (Hey, maybe they'll read this thread)

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG Supplement
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »
Repeated thread. its come up thrice now.  Officially, its "Paranet" stuff. IIRC
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
   Well, that certainly was unambiguous. They straight up said there will be a third book.
   For the most part, I love RPG sups. I like new rules, new feats and new powers. But for Dresden I have trouble thinking of what you could put in a sup, other than maybe new Stunts and example magic items (and I'd only want the former).
   Ultimately, I think the best route for supplement material (though not, in my opinion, for being worth buying) would be sequels to "our world" that show the new monsters, characters, character evolutions, and power uses from the newer books, as well as a wrieup of the consequences of the events of Changes (but we'll have to wait till spring to learn what those even are).
   This is where I think the most material for a supplement exists, but I'd be hesitant to shell out money for it. Reading the our world write-ups for every character to appear in every book was interesting, but ultimately "Our World" was expensive ($40) and only had about 50 pages of useful information for home games (and between reading the novels and your story, you could even figure out most of that info on your own). So, yeah, I think thats the most logical type of sup, but I'd have to really consider paying for a book like that.  

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »
I like the fact tat they will be doing the paranet. I think that is the type of supplements they should put out more of. The world cannon for the dresdon files that isn't just harry and Chicago. Do the other parts of the world. Do supplements like they did Baltimore in YS, just more extensive. Other major cities or organizations, both mundane and supernatural. I wouldn't mind a future supplement on the nevernever. But the paranet is a good start I think.
"The door is ajar"

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:31:22 PM »
afaik the "Tales from the Paranet" (that was the title iirc) will also include some stuff about the farther reaches of the nevernever

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »
Do the other parts of the world. Do supplements like they did Baltimore in YS, just more extensive.

I think this would be a bad idea. The Baltimore setting was put in as an example of city creation, and the Chicago write-up was a write-up of the city that we already have 12 books of cannon to lock down. Part of playing the game is having your group build its setting city for itself and tailor it to the group and the themes you want to play with. The more published, prepackaged setting sups they put out, the more that will limit the creativity of the group and lock them in with "cannon" settings that contradict what they want to do.
   They had this problem with old World of Darkness (a city book for every major city on earth that all tied in to some huge metaplot, until you couldn't play the game anymore without contradicting something cannon), and it would be far worse in Dresden.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »
They did it right in Deadlands (and Hell on earth/lost colony). They had a ton of supplements but most of them had random urban myth/ghost story type stories and didn't necessarily iron everything out. It wound up being really helpful for starting points most of the time, but stayed out of your way when you didn't need it. The only bit that drove me crazy is they didn't always finish some of their subplots (Like what in the hell happens with the football?).

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
I hope they have some generic NPCs like enemy sorcerers that you can send against people.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 11:42:13 PM »
I believe this interview has more information on the supplement, so check it out: http://www.thewalkingeye.com/?p=973

Basically, some updates on how to use stuff from the most recent books, and a whole lot of city creation examples.  The city creation examples aren't canon (and neither is Baltimore, as far as I know), just things to give people ideas.  Among the "cities" that are planned for the supplement are the Nevernever, the entire continent of south america, a traveling game, and a Florida swamp town.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
I'd like some extra crunch for things like damage over time effects, maybe a Thaumaturgy chart that allows you to figure out complexity without paging back and forth in the damn book until I (the GM) just get sick of it and arbitrarily make up a number.

Oh, and Ghots Story spoilers.  I'd like them.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »
afaik the "Tales from the Paranet" (that was the title iirc) will also include some stuff about the farther reaches of the nevernever
Do you have a source?

I believe this interview has more information on the supplement, so check it out: http://www.thewalkingeye.com/?p=973

Basically, some updates on how to use stuff from the most recent books, and a whole lot of city creation examples.  The city creation examples aren't canon (and neither is Baltimore, as far as I know), just things to give people ideas.  Among the "cities" that are planned for the supplement are the Nevernever, the entire continent of south america, a traveling game, and a Florida swamp town.

He's the way I view Canon, since the RPG is supposed to be "canon" in Dresden's world- the comments Dresden makes in the margin are theoretically canon (example: In RPG Your Story 364, Bob talks about Gilgamesh- see below).  However, most of Baltimore is hypothetical canon- the "author"- Alpha Davian Campbell (another theoretical canon, since he's writing in-universe for the RPG- says he makes up some of it.)

My interpretation of canon:
1:Jim Canon- A Novel, Short Story, WoJ.  This comes from highest authority, and cannot be contradicted (occasionally retconned by Jim)
2:Theoretical Canon- ex: Davian Campbell, Gilgamesh. From a supplement, like the RPG, where it is written "in-universe" and canon characters comment about the material outside the RPG. (example: Bob talks about Gilgamesh in the margins such that he is canonically a Accords signatory).  WoJ/later novels can contradict, but should currently be taken as legitimate.
3:Hypothetical Canon:- Damocles Ravenborn, <most of Baltimore material>- Possible but not confirmed canon from a supplement. It is never directly stated as factual or fictional.  WoJ/later works can affirm/deny (example: Baltimore chapter of YS- in-universe author Davian Campbell states he makes up some of the material, and some of it is factual).  Unlike Davian Campbell, who gets a affirming mention from Harry, Bob, or Billy, these entries have no reason to be canon or non-canon.
---
4:Parallel Fanon: An unofficial work- usually by fans- of the Dresden Files, not associated legally, etc. It may be an RPG campaign, short story, etc.  However, it does not contradict present canon at the time of its inception (later canon from above could bump this down to 5, see below)
5:Contradictory Fanon: An unofficial work, as Parallel Fanon.  However, this work contains some contradiction with present canon, and could not co-exist with Butcher's precise universe.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:35:35 PM »
Like Peteman, I hope to see some generic NPCs. As some of you may or may not know, I'm very interested in such characters. I'd very much like to see how Evil Hat's take on them differs from mine.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:14:55 PM »
Here's Iago's comments on the RPG's canonality for the series

It is not Word of Jim, but it's close.  The blacked out stuff that folks can discover in the PDFs are 4th wall breaking stuff, mainly an in joke for people who figure out how to read it. Beyond that there are elements of the text that are at least slightly inaccurate or more often incomplete because the rpg as presented is being filtered through Billy -- a version of Billy who was more clued in prior to Turn Coat, so the rpg itself is at least a little alternate universe in its conceit.  But regardless we made it as close to the spruce material as we could manage, because we wanted the setting parts of it to work as a legitimate fan guide too.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*