Author Topic: Using thaumaturgy to cast a "shield" spell  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
Using thaumaturgy to cast a "shield" spell
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:11:24 AM »
One of my player (sorcerer) wants to protect himself with a shield spell (armor 2 or3) and wants to use the thaumaturgy approach to have the spell last for a whole day.

Is this overpowered? A player could easily build an armor 5 or 6 protection this way, which seems quite powerful.

What mechanics should be used? Item creation or ward type spell approach?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Using thaumaturgy to cast a "shield" spell
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:24:50 AM »
Personal shields should be cast using Evocation or an Enchanted Item, same as with personal Veils. All-day shields are a guaranteed game-breaker.

Anything protective done with Thaumaturgy is generally not supposed to move around, per the writeup on Wards and such.

I can make up spiritual reasons this would be so (the wards need to be bound to space; moving them weakens their hold on reality; changing the location of a ward exposes it to dissonant magical energies which would break it down; etc.), but at the end of the day... just, no.

Have him acquire a Kevlar vest, perhaps?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:27:56 AM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:44:05 AM »
Let them do that then inform them they are stuck in that one spot till the spell fades or they dispell it.
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:55:50 AM »
Let them do that then inform them they are stuck in that one spot till the spell fades or they dispell it.
Indeed.  In fact, depending on how powerful the shield is, some white facepaint, a black and white striped shirt, a pair of black pants and suspenders and a black beret might be in order.   ;)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 08:23:24 AM »
I might deal with it a different way. Let him do it and then compel the shield regularly. Need to get in a car? Sorry, you don't fit and no one can get within two feet of you. Oh you wanted a skin-tight armor, well try again tomorrow. (next day) Suddenly you don't have pockets (or can't access them). You have no sense of touch, meaning you just crushed that glass or that person's hand or that fragile piece of evidence. Etc.

There are real reasons why a permanent shield is a bad idea.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
I might deal with it a different way. Let him do it and then compel the shield regularly. Need to get in a car? Sorry, you don't fit and no one can get within two feet of you. Oh you wanted a skin-tight armor, well try again tomorrow. (next day) Suddenly you don't have pockets (or can't access them). You have no sense of touch, meaning you just crushed that glass or that person's hand or that fragile piece of evidence. Etc.

There are real reasons why a permanent shield is a bad idea.

This.

Also, don't forget about eating or drinking. I'd let them get air, but if they do, that means that it isn't air tight. At that point, bring on the tear gas.

Offline riplikash

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »
While the previous two posts are funny, the rules on thaumaturgy wards are very clear: they have to be stationary and built upon a physical/conceptual 'boarder'. A chalk circle, a threshhold, a doorway, etc. A moving shield can be placed upon an item, and the rules for that are well described. It can also be done with thaumaturgy.

While the previous two posts ideas are funny, they are bad form for a GM. Making your players feel/look foolish is rarely a good idea. Their characters should know the limitations of magic in advance and not be forced into looking like dummies. Brings back painful memories of my first high school Gm constantly prat-falling my first paladin. Almost always bad form to make fools of your players.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:13:16 PM by riplikash »

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »
While the previous two posts ideas are funny, they are bad form for a GM. Making your players feel/look foolish is rarely a good idea. Their characters should know the limitations of magic in advance and not be forced into looking like dummies. Brings back painful memories of my first high school Gm constantly prat-falling my first paladin. Almost always bad form to make fools of your players.

Agreed; I've had some bad experiences myself in that direction.  I'd say the only times when it's acceptable to embarrass a character like that are for "plot" reasons, and that's what compels are for, and for when you're dealing with a repeat offender unrepentant munchkin.
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 06:37:20 PM »
Can't speak for anyone else, but of course I would never spring this on a player. I'd explain plenty before the event, but if they still wanted to do it, I don't think it's unreasonable.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 10:28:31 PM »
So, was the Armor-through-Thaumaturgy plan effectively kiboshed, then?

There is another alternative: Thaumaturgical Maneuvers to place multiple instances of "Spell Armor" on oneself. 3-4 Shifts of Complexity for each free tag desired, and can be used to supplement Athletics checks (or conversely, to penalize opponent attack rolls) and the player can spend Fate Points to invoke the Aspect when those free tags have been used.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
So, was the Armor-through-Thaumaturgy plan effectively kiboshed, then?

There is another alternative: Thaumaturgical Maneuvers to place multiple instances of "Spell Armor" on oneself. 3-4 Shifts of Complexity for each free tag desired, and can be used to supplement Athletics checks (or conversely, to penalize opponent attack rolls) and the player can spend Fate Points to invoke the Aspect when those free tags have been used.

I think most of this stuff really boils down to what the GM will allow.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
I think most of this stuff really boils down to what the GM will allow.

Of course the GM always retains that option, but in the case of this discussion, the GM was seeking guidance from the community at large.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 07:06:45 PM »
Of course the GM always retains that option, but in the case of this discussion, the GM was seeking guidance from the community at large.

In that case, I think it would make most sense for your player to have a "Hard to Hit" aspect or some such that gives him/her x free tags and will add 2 points to either a defense roll or armor.

That seems much more fitting with the rest of the game.

Another option would be a few free tags to increase a rote shield by 2 shifts.  That would be very, very powerful but would not break the game either.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
Just nitpicking: You could justify increasing a regular shield that way, but not a rote. If you do anything to change a rote, it isn't a rote anymore, and you'd best get rolling.  ;)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
Actually I think potions are the ONLY spell effects that can be increased (shift wise) by aspects. Otherwise it's that old stand-by of max shifts = conviction + how many extra stress you're willing to spend.