Author Topic: Jade Court Vampires.  (Read 2239 times)

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
Jade Court Vampires.
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
The jade court is embroiled in mystery, and I think that many of us rpers would love to use them. I think it would be a good idea to compile ideas about them.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Jade Court Vampires.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
Here is the thread we started awhile back on this very subject:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22609.0.html
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Jade Court Vampires.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
I already have 1 template started. They have inhuman/supernatural recovery and inhuman/supernatural speed. Their catch would be damage through unarmed combat. They would also have a natural aversion to weapons. They then have their own special, secret martial art that focuses on their inhuman speed. They also mastered many other martial arts. They are made through a test of ritual unarmed combat. If they pass the test, they are given a jade armband that a spirit is inhabiting, and they gain the powers. They feed through combat. They are cured by losing in true ritual unarmed combat against a non-jade court vamp. What do you think?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
It sounds imaginative! My fear is that their method of feeding is too overt, though, which would be a disadvantage for them. Also that the cure might be too easy, which would mean there could be a lot of former Jades running around, which seems to run counter to their whole mysterious vibe.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline israphel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 02:40:14 AM »
I've got a JCV in my upcoming game. I went along the line of "since they're even more mysterious and secretive than the WCV, they're probably weaker"
I stole from the WW VampOfEast idea of reanimated Hungry Dead. Same back story: died, went to a chinese hell, came back, reanimated the body.
These vamps feed on Chi as breath (suck the life breath out of somebody). Their powers run mainly on the sneaky-creep line.

The template for the JCV is below
cost   abillity
- 1      vampirism  -  soul vampire  -  feeds on breath/chi
+0      Human form
- 2      breath weapon  -  sleep
+1      feeding dependency
             (powers deriving from it below)
- 1      cloak of shadows
- 2      inhuman recovery
+2      The Catch  (vulnerable to "holy stuff" and Asian Folklore)
- 1      spider walk
- 3      spirit form

total is -7 refresh to be a JCV.

They're not stronger, faster, or tougher than a normal human, but do recover better and can become ghostlike.

I told my player that cities with a JCV presence generally have a higher SIDS and hospice death rate, since newborns and infirm elderly are easier targets (hospitals and nursing homes have little in the way of Thresholds).

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:53:03 AM »
If you start researching it, there are a lot of different types of Asian vampires. My personal favorites (I forget the name right now and am too lazy to Google it.) detach their heads from their bodies and the heads fly around looking for prey. They are blood suckers and are very hard to kill. The only sure fire way to kill them is to find the bodies when the heads are gone and soak them in salt. This causes the body to shrink so that the heads cannot reattach and thus die.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:46:35 AM »
I plan to wait until Jade court comes up in the literature to even think about statting one.

I'd hate to change an entire class of people/monsters mid game because a new book came out with the exact opposite kind of characters that I envisioned.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »
I plan to wait until Jade court comes up in the literature to even think about statting one.

I'd hate to change an entire class of people/monsters mid game because a new book came out with the exact opposite kind of characters that I envisioned.

I kinda feel the same way, but thats when you could take the easy way out, and say oh, were not JADE Court Vampires... Those are our Asian cousins... We are... IVORY Court Vampires... * shifty eyes*
my 2 cents

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:15:07 AM »
That's the way I feel about it. Just don't have any of them call themselves "jade court" and then you're just playing with people's assumptions.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:01:08 PM »
Guys, if you want to post about this, my thread was probably not the one to revive. There was a much better one in existance when I made this... I'll try to fnd it.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:50:15 AM »
Sweet! My magic eating JCV thread on rpg.net made it over here to the official forums!
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby