Author Topic: Hero vs. Heroine  (Read 13651 times)

Offline The Neuromancer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Hero vs. Heroine
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
Does it make much of a difference? I figured that if it is a good story then the characters gender doesn't matter much but I have heard that most people prefer female characters.
What are your thoughts on this?
Btw, I am talking about the supernatural sci-fi genre.

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
Re: Hero vs. Heroine
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:14:21 AM »
I don't see exactly how gender matters as long as the story is entertaining and well written.
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:38:15 AM »
I don't think it's so much that people prefer female characters as much as most of the urban fantasy being written is by female authors, and most tend to use female characters.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:49:13 AM »
I like a well written story no matter what the gender of the protagonist is.
What I don't like is when someone, not so frequent now, does a action type fantasy heroine that is obviously just a guy in a girl suit.
A strong woman does NOT have to be a , pardon the crudity, a ball less guy.
JB does great women characters.  Another writer who did great women was James Schmidtz.

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:16:26 AM »
[rant powers activate!]
The question I would ask is which gender are you more comfortable being flawed?  One of the big reasons I like JB is that male or female, all his characters are are flawed.  It has become one of my pet peeves that in the past few years, nearly all the urban fantasy with female protagonists (and a LOT have female protagonists) she ends up being some sort of goddess (real or otherwise) who will always 'just happen' to have made all the right choices throughout both the book and her life to come together like a demented Rube Goldberg/M.C. Esher brainchild at the moment the villan finishes his/her/its monologe ('Oh!  The muscley antiques dealer I have been passionately dating since chapter 2 gave me the key to the lost treasure of Shangra La as a secret santa present!  Now I can send Davy Jones back to the land of dragons by combining it with the kitschy lamp I bought at a swap meet!')

This is by no means limited to female characters, but it seems decidedly more common than with male characters.  Maybe it's just easier to imagine a guy having to work at it while his mistakes come back to bite him in the ass?
[rant over]

Personally, I don't read books to hear about how perfect the protagonist is; that's what video games are for.  :)
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

Offline Piotr1600

• Posty McPostington
  • Not *quite* the Eye of Providence...
    • View Profile
    • Go For Throttle Up - Music you haven't heard
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 06:38:57 AM »
Gender of protagonist is irrelevant to my enjoyment of a well crafted story.
If the protagonist is the way they are for a reason and the reason makes sense and is believably supported in-story it's all good.
I too have a few pet peeves - one of which Snowleopard put succinctly as "Guy in a girl-suit".
Guys and girls approaching everything in an identical manner or being fully harnessed into some kind of negative gender stereotype.

And [off topic] except for Stoker, Butcher, and one other author whose name escapes me right now, I sooo don't want to read - or even know about - yet another crappy/stupid vampire story of either gender at all, regardless of how 'sexy' or sparkly they may be.
My band: http://www.soundclick.com/goforthrottleup -

The real problem with the shallow end of the gene pool is that it isn’t deep enough to allow the depth charges to arm. - By "Hardware" on Larry Correia's website.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »
^
What he said about vampires.  I'm so ready to be done with vampires and zombies.
Sigh.

Offline The Neuromancer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 07:27:51 PM »
Well, the pretty vampires don't bother me so much as long as they are not a major part of every plot.

And yes, I agree with the "guy in a girl-suit" point, it is very annoying.

Offline kunal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
I agree with piotr1600, vampires are done.

Hero or Heroine it doesn't matter as long as the story, and characters have depth.  Although I am still waiting for the Wookie as a hero story.

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »
Depends on what you are more comfortable writing. I'm a pure novice so writing from a female perspective as a guy is something fairly foreign to me. I wouldn't trust myself at the moment to write a female character.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
Wookie
*Wookiee

Pet peeve of mine.

Also, everyone always says vampires are done.  At a small con I went to last March, Jim's editor was there and said that editors say they don't want vampire stories because they've been done and overdone.  But they keep getting published because people keep buying them.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:44:57 PM »
Also, everyone always says vampires are done.  At a small con I went to last March, Jim's editor was there and said that editors say they don't want vampire stories because they've been done and overdone.  But they keep getting published because people keep buying them.

It sucks when what sells isn't what's really good.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:36:38 PM by Apocrypha »
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »
nt

Edited to remove content that may bring negativity to the boards.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:32:47 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
A pet peeve of mine with female characters is that in a lot of cases the author (regardless of their gender) turns them into nymphos. one very clear example of this is the Anita Blake series. Started out with a good strong but humanly flawed character who is now nothing more than a whiny super being who has more sex than plot development. Sex is fine in a book but not at the expense of plot.

As for Vampires, I still like them but hate how they are being portrayed as tragic hero's fighting against their vile nature, most of the time they just come out as whiny little dicks. If your going to have a vampire as a hero then they shouldn't just forget that they are predatory beings. I imagine vampires as kind of like cats, not evil but a little sadistic.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:23:15 PM by Nickeris86 »
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 02:18:50 AM »
I agree with you N86 - why can't a woman achieve something with more than just sex.  Sigh.
Because I'd heard just this complaint about the Anita Blake tales - I've never gotten into them.
Would just irritate me.

Another thing, which JB does so well - is when he's doing a wise-assed, smart mouthed woman she's just that - a smart ass like Harry.  Too many authors and people who do TV scripts when they write a smart assed woman she turns out to be bitchy not mouthy - and there is a great and obvious deference between the two.