Author Topic: An aside Question "Iron Kingdoms Conversion"  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Abhoth

• Participant
    • View Profile
An aside Question "Iron Kingdoms Conversion"
« on: January 01, 2011, 07:04:29 AM »
Hi Im really not great at coversions but I am looking to run a game on my other weekend (I run my Harry Dresden RPG once a fortnight atm) and was thinking of Iron Kingoms (a old RPG by privateer press) however the game has since been abandonded by the company the books are hard to find (its very easy to get the background fluff at various wiki's) and there in 3.5 ed DnD and I loathe 3.5 or earlier anyway (Ironically I like 4ED) so I was thinking do you all think it would be easier or very hard to convert Iron Kingomds into the Hary Dresen version of the Fate System assuming of course some here has played both games :) ?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: An aside Question "Iron Kingdoms Conversion"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:30:57 AM »
I've never played Iron Kingdoms, but here's a bit about Dresden:
1) combat is quick.  Unlike D&D people go down more or less like they do in real life.  Healing for serious things takes a long time.  Just because you take someone out doesn't mean they are dead - it means that you get to decide what happens to them (yes, "they die" is an option).

2) A wizard's magic can do a ridiculous among of damage (easily weapon grade 4 - 6) and, if a rote is used, doesn't really cost the wizard a thing.

3) The "laws of magic" are intricate to the game, but they probably wouldn't fit the Iron Kingdoms setting.  First Law: no killing with magic.

4) In theory, given enough time and resources, a wizard can cast a spell to practically anything.

Looking at those points, do you think that the converse would be easy?

Richard

Offline Sh33p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
It's been a while since I've read anything Iron Kingdoms and I'm still getting the hang of the DF system, but it seems like IK Wizards would basically convert as Thaumaturgy-oriented Focused Practitioners with a handful Rotes and a really hard time managing evocations (outside of manipulating Warjacks, maybe).

Could be wrong. That's just the main thing I remember about the IK system since I liked their approach to magic.

Offline hannibalisfun

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »
I have been thing about a iron kingdoms conversion for Dresden files for a while know.  I have not really got around to writing anything down since I know my current gaming won't play a game in the setting.

I think sponsored magic works perfectly for divine spell casting.  I have not really come up with any satisfactory way to differentiate wizards and sorcerers. I will post more as i remember or think up new stuff.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »
I have been thing about a iron kingdoms conversion for Dresden files for a while know.  I have not really got around to writing anything down since I know my current gaming won't play a game in the setting.

I think sponsored magic works perfectly for divine spell casting.  I have not really come up with any satisfactory way to differentiate wizards and sorcerers. I will post more as i remember or think up new stuff.

Off the top of my head: Wizards may have a higher Lore (and more Rotes) while Sorcerers may have a higher Conviction and/or Discipline?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets