Author Topic: The Science of Pacing  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Ecuadorian Super Termite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
The Science of Pacing
« on: December 29, 2010, 05:53:24 AM »
Lately I've been remembering something in bits and fragments, and for me that means I have to find the source material and read it through again. This came from one of the many, many writing sources I've read over the years, and honestly it could be anything. This is just a shot in the dark, but let me know if it strikes a chord with anyone else.

The text was talking about the technique of pacing, how to make a passage seem to go by faster or slower. When actions are summarized, it says, the pace of the story moves more quickly. An entire afternoon may go by in a few sentences. When things are told in detail, the story moves more slowly. A fight scene may take most of a chapter.

I've checked Jim's blog and it's not the source I'm looking for. Does this sound like something you've read? Have you read something else that seems to be communicating the same idea?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: The Science of Pacing
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
Uhm, not to me. Also, I'm not in complete agreement with the ideas as presented. In fact, depending on the details that you think might be slowing the pace can be one bummer info dump.

Take a close look at Jim's action sequences. They are not summarized at all, in fact they are brilliantly honed, tight, crisp, sharp--almost agonizingly so in parts. (He does like to torture you know.)  There are just a lot of them like a martial arts match in slow motion.  I spent some time with Carrie Vaughn's action sequences (her last short story with Jim's actually) and you can see the tightening of the structure. The this, this, and this structure moving the character forward in time and space.

You might be meaning the 'zoom in' effect, which you might find in that book about screenwriting called the Story? I think? 

Some authors use the term 'beat', which happens to ring closely with my style. I consciously chose my beats to meet the position need in the plot.  The rate that I fire the beats, intensifies the action. These can't be summarized, but spot on with no trim work around the edges to slow the roller coaster ride.

Ah, that's only my opinion and I don't think that I really understood what you were describing.  Give me more details?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess