Author Topic: Noob question.  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Noob question.
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:45:54 AM »
After becoming absolutely enthralled with The Dresden Files this rpg seems like a really fun hobby. Though where I live I seriously doubt I'd find people ot play with easily. Just wondering if there were any groups of people that do this sort of thing across the net?

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:47:02 AM »
Noob question seconded!

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:54:22 AM »
There's a play-by-post subforum right here, where you can join in on a game via posting messages; you can get a chance for some in-depth rp in exchange for a really slow game pace. 

Also, there are groups that play online, over Skype or similar products, and there are periodically sign-up threads that show up.

Also, investigate if there's a local game shop in your city; most cities of reasonable size have one.  They usually have a board somewhere announcing games and players looking for games. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:29:33 AM »
I see that makes me even more interested..what would be some helpful tips on how to get started with the game period? As in which book or books would I need to have? (sounds like a great christmas gift to myself lol, especially if the books are full of Dresdenverse lore.)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 04:44:34 AM »
The book "Your Story" (unless you're planning on being the gamemaster), a set of dice, and a group to play with are all you need. 

Another thought for a place to look for a local gaming group: any local colleges.  Most colleges have a number of clubs, and gaming clubs are common.  (All of my Dresden Files players are freshmeat freshmen over at the local university).  However, most colleges are on winter break right now, so... *shrug*

Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Motman

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Atlanta
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 04:12:57 AM »
The play by post/chat/Wave/ etc... do work work but the pace is glacial and can be rather annoying.  I have done it a couple times and found them only OK.  The GM had to drop a player after they were blatantly cheating of dice rolls and character stats (The forum is archived don't change your skill points 1/2 way through.

I find that you have to screen players ahead of time so they fit well with your style and the other players.  A online dice roller can help a lot, but I do not know if one is available for Fate.  A good discussion on this at pen and paper games http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/5256-Play-by-Post-die-rolling.  other than that not much is absolutely needed.

I still like pen and paper gaming with people around a table.  There are a number of hobby shops that carry it listed on Evil Hat's site http://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_72.  You may be able to post a notice looking for a game.  If you are running the game, you WILL find players for it.
I watch Too much Anime