Author Topic: Wererhino: The Catch?  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Wererhino: The Catch?
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:31:54 AM »
For species with natural armor of some kind, like the rhino's Supernatural Toughness or the bear's Inhuman Toughness, would a beast shifter need to take a Catch?

Something like... chemical weapons?  Or a particular disease?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Wererhino: The Catch?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 10:01:19 AM »
Yes, you would. Catches for animals might include specific weaponry (i.e. high-caliber guns or explosives), poisons or diseases, fire and the like.

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 01:43:06 PM »
I've always made the catch in those situations be unknown and worth +0. It just doesn't make sense to me, since a major part of the catch is that it's very presence is poisonous to the character. So something with a catch of high-caliber weaponry would be burned by the touch of the barrel, even if it wasn't fired.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »
That is not true. Creatures are not burned by their catch due to the catch itself but due to their high concept. For example, even a faerie without toughness powers at all (and thus no catch) would be burned by Cold Iron because it is a faerie. Ditto for a vampiric creature or a shapeshifter.

Creatures are, however, uncomfortable in the presence of their catch. That is also true for almost any animal - have you ever seen animals comfortable near a fire? Near a poisonous snake?

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 02:40:30 PM »
I have a were-bear character in my game that is part of a tradition of viking descendants from Norway. When determining his catch, we sat down and looked up folklore from Scandinavia and Europe on a whole about werewolves and the like, and we came upon a legend stating that planting a mountain-ash outside your home would ward them off.

From that we had a wood that could be sharpened, berries and leaves that could be made into poison, and something that can be found easily wherever it needs to be, since it seemed to be a relatively hearty plant. We ruled the catch at +3, since it is very easy to get a hold of, though most people do not have it on hand, and that with a little research by anyone looking into him they would find that he is a member of that clan, and their weakness is known.

Food for thought, hopefully.  :D

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »
I suggest Massive Trauma. Tht is a +2 since anyone could get it, but no bonus for knowledge. Every GM runs that Catch a little differently though, so you may wish to ask them.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Tbora

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
For species with natural armor of some kind, like the rhino's Supernatural Toughness or the bear's Inhuman Toughness, would a beast shifter need to take a Catch?

Something like... chemical weapons?  Or a particular disease?

Well yes and no, if you don't want a catch take something obscure and unknown (IE a wooden stake created from an ash tree who first sprouted under the light of the full moon during the once in a thousand years alignment of the planets near a bend in a river.)

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »
Well yes and no, if you don't want a catch take something obscure and unknown (IE a wooden stake created from an ash tree who first sprouted under the light of the full moon during the once in a thousand years alignment of the planets near a bend in a river.)

Heh, careful. If you make it that obscure, that's basically begging your GM to weasel it in to kill you with.  ;)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 06:17:26 PM »
I like the catch of "people with the specific intent of grinding up your horn to sell it as an aphrodisiac on the black market." Maybe a little too specific but still. ;D

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »
What if the guy who's planning to grind up your horn is only doing it because he knows that that plan will let him bypass your toughness? Will that satisfy the catch?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
As long as he later intends to sell it as an aphrodisiac on the black market, then yes. :P

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 05:14:27 AM »
As long as he later intends to sell it as an aphrodisiac on the black market, then yes. :P

now im waiting to hear a peta refrence
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 05:22:24 AM »
..."always horny" not a catch but a great trouble aspect.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »
Maybe a were rhino must fight fires.  (Anyone ever see "The Gods Must be Crazy"?)
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 06:14:35 AM »
   A natural creatures toughness does have a catch, its just more complicated than most Paranormal catches.
   Bears and Rhinos have a staggering amount of resistance to physical trauma of all kinds, but this armor doesn't really protect against fire, disease, poison, and suffocation. It doesn't protect the eyes or inside the mouth. So the real question is, how should you price a catch that complex? But no matter how you price the other aspects of the catch, its at least a +2, since prettymuch everyone knows, or could figure out, how to kill a Bear or Rhino.
   Someone mentioned that high caliber weapons and explosives would satisfy the catch, but I don't buy that. You can kill a Rhino with a high caliber weapon, but that is solely from the damage overcoming its toughness, not negating it (shooting a Rhino with a Desert Eagle isn't going to do as much damage as shooting a horse with the same gun).