Author Topic: Combining Templates  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Esperacchius

• Conversationalist
  • I am Harry's subconscious
    • View Profile
Combining Templates
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:41:59 PM »
According to YS, when you set your game at the "Submerged" power level, you could conceivably combine templates. Does anyone know how the minimum refresh cost would be affected then? Let's say someone wanted to be a Focused Practitioner and an Emissary of Power. Would the minimum refresh costs of [-2] and [-1] (respectively) simply combine to just total [-3]?  Or is there a rule for template-mashing that I'm missing?
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. ~Ronald Dahl

http://bit.ly/Rkm1c0

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Combining Templates
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 05:57:24 PM »
I don't think there's any special rule. Why should there be?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »
The minimum refresh is just a reflection of how much the powers under that template cost, so you should just combine them.

On a related note though, how much have people been using the templates? I've been pretty much ignoring them when they don't quite fit. For example I just made a champion of god that had an entirely different power set (soulfire and recovery).

Offline Esperacchius

• Conversationalist
  • I am Harry's subconscious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »
This is my & everyone in my group's first go-round, so we're pretty much just sticking with the templates, maybe with minor tweaking. For instance, our were-form is gonna have a MINOR spell power, since we now know that
(click to show/hide)
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. ~Ronald Dahl

http://bit.ly/Rkm1c0

Offline Motman

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Atlanta
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
I do not think that it really would matter as long as the GM and player both agree that the character's concept is inline with the game.  I have an Emissary of Power (A Welsh goddess of darkness) who also has photomancy not built into her item of power.  It fit the concept even though she skirted being a FP with the Channeling.  She may be able to become a full powered Wizard in the future, but that would need a LOT of refresh and a convincing story reason.
I watch Too much Anime

Offline eberg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »
According to YS, when you set your game at the "Submerged" power level, you could conceivably combine templates. Does anyone know how the minimum refresh cost would be affected then? Let's say someone wanted to be a Focused Practitioner and an Emissary of Power. Would the minimum refresh costs of [-2] and [-1] (respectively) simply combine to just total [-3]?  Or is there a rule for template-mashing that I'm missing?
Pretty much, unless there is overlap. My group uses this pretty extensively. I have a Wizard/Werecat, a Sorcerer/Sidhe Knight, and a Wizard/True Believer in my game.

To answer a later question: My group uses templates as a guideline, but what powers can be taken is pretty much worked out through table consensus, based on what makes sense for the character concept.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:35:37 PM »
-3.  The "templates" just give you ideas for what powers you can take to achieve an effect.  If you want a were-cat wizard, then you buy all the were-abilities, plus evocation, thaumaturgy, and the sight/soulgaze.

A werewolf with a minor talent is just a werewolf who spent one more refresh on some wierdness.

(click to show/hide)

Offline eberg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:10:57 PM »
-3.  The "templates" just give you ideas for what powers you can take to achieve an effect.  If you want a were-cat wizard, then you buy all the were-abilities, plus evocation, thaumaturgy, and the sight/soulgaze.

A werewolf with a minor talent is just a werewolf who spent one more refresh on some wierdness.
I think the value of templates and why I wouldn't advocate abandoning them altogether is that they promote focus. Some folks will be inclined to treat the Powers section as a grab-bag of abilities to be browsed. Choosing a template or two makes sure you keep in context and only buy stuff that makes sense to your character, rather than being distracted by neat tricks. :)

Similarly, a werewolf developing a minor talent (taking on a second template) should be a major event with a narrative explanation, rather than just manifesting because they have refresh to spend.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »

Naming the character McGonagall, however, is strictly optional. 

Really, the only restrictions are high concept and rationale how it relates.  A werewolf with Recovery abilities?  Knock yourself out (you'll get better quickly).  A werewolf with Wings?  uhh... No.
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki