Author Topic: Catch: The Trappings of Winter/Summer  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Catch: The Trappings of Winter/Summer
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:32:28 AM »
In the books, everyone with this catch only has Inhuman Recovery, and thus can only net them +1.  But in general, what would be its max?

It's an everything-but catch so that's +0
Only a special class of "people" can access it +1
Surely every clued in person knows that you fight Summer with Winter and vice versa +2
Theoretical Maximum: +3

Is this correct?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Catch: The Trappings of Winter/Summer
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:16:13 AM »
Unless the person/creature in question wasn't obviously associated with one of the courts. Otherwise seems fine to me.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:33:59 AM »
I'd do +2 total. 1 for availibility, 1 for knowledge. You only get +1 for knowledge with Faeries anyways. Besides, it should be harder to know then just throwing steel shot at them. Not a +0, but not a +2 either.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:33:29 AM »
So if the particulars of person's powers are hidden, the catch is reduced to personal knowledge as well?  So if the Knight or changeling was not somewhat known to be associated with faerie, the catch is modified?

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:16:23 AM »
I'd do +2 total. 1 for availibility, 1 for knowledge. You only get +1 for knowledge with Faeries anyways. Besides, it should be harder to know then just throwing steel shot at them. Not a +0, but not a +2 either.

Actually, I run it that "cold iron" is a +4 Catch.  It's common and any respectable Paranet member knows to grab iron to put paid to faeries.  It really doesn't make sense to say that it requires special knowledge.

For a godly scion, a brawler in the style of Hercules, we designed a catch called Mortal Women.  He gets +2 for them being so common, and +1 for the fact that experts in the study of the sons of gods would know about their being toppled by women.  It's not something you need to know him personally for.  Here's the relevant text:

"If almost anyone with an awareness of the supernatural knows about the Catch or could easily find out, you get a +2.
"If knowledge of the Catch requires access to specific research material that could be restricted, you get a +1.
"If knowledge of the Catch requires knowing you personally to learn about it, you get nothing."

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
Actually, I run it that "cold iron" is a +4 Catch.  It's common and any respectable Paranet member knows to grab iron to put paid to faeries.  It really doesn't make sense to say that it requires special knowledge.

For a godly scion, a brawler in the style of Hercules, we designed a catch called Mortal Women.  He gets +2 for them being so common, and +1 for the fact that experts in the study of the sons of gods would know about their being toppled by women.  It's not something you need to know him personally for.  Here's the relevant text:

"If almost anyone with an awareness of the supernatural knows about the Catch or could easily find out, you get a +2.
"If knowledge of the Catch requires access to specific research material that could be restricted, you get a +1.
"If knowledge of the Catch requires knowing you personally to learn about it, you get nothing."

Well, Cold Iron in the books is a +3 Catch. I think I will go with the book in this case.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 05:53:55 PM »
This is a problem we've run into in the past and not just with faeries. Often the books stat a catch as lower than it seems like it should be. Personally I feel like even I know (and have known since I was nine) that faeries are harmed by cold iron, so I'd run it at a +2 for that part, but run it however you deem fit.

So if the particulars of person's powers are hidden, the catch is reduced to personal knowledge as well?  So if the Knight or changeling was not somewhat known to be associated with faerie, the catch is modified?

And yes, the question is whether or not someone can find Your catch with ease, not how easily they can find out what faeries are harmed by. So if you aren't obviously faerie then it's going to be a little harder to find your catch, reducing its' value.

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »
And yes, the question is whether or not someone can find Your catch with ease, not how easily they can find out what faeries are harmed by. So if you aren't obviously faerie then it's going to be a little harder to find your catch, reducing its' value.

Maybe that's what I'm missing then.  The White Court catch is +0 because it's rare and because you can't really know which of the True Emotions will hurt them until you know them personally?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
For that matter you might not even know that they have anything weird unless they start doing crazy stuff around you.

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 04:22:22 AM »
For that matter you might not even know that they have anything weird unless they start doing crazy stuff around you.

I don't know... all this seems so subjective.  I think, when I run it, i'll run it strictly from the instructions in the book and ignore the examples that differ.  I'd rather come down on the side of the players.

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »
In this particular case, I'm not sure that by "following the book" you are really "coming down on the side of the players."  Just the opposite is likely true.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 05:17:57 PM »
To be fair, a lot of FATE (and consequently DFRPG) is subjective.

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 06:53:09 PM »
In this particular case, I'm not sure that by "following the book" you are really "coming down on the side of the players."  Just the opposite is likely true.  Just my 2 cents.

I mean reading the text instructions for choosing a catch, rather looking at the examples of the catches on the sample characters.

So I'd use:

And ignore what it says on the stat sheets of the monsters.  That's coming down on the side of the players.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 02:02:01 AM »
I mean reading the text instructions for choosing a catch, rather looking at the examples of the catches on the sample characters.

So I'd use:

And ignore what it says on the stat sheets of the monsters.  That's coming down on the side of the players.
Or instead of ignoring what it says on the stat sheets of the monsters, you could simply hold that, where player characters are concerned, Your Story is at a higher level than Our World. That's what I do.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
maybe you should consult your group. see what they think and which one they would rather do. maybe they have a preference.
"The door is ajar"