Author Topic: Sponsored Magic: Soulsteel  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Sponsored Magic: Soulsteel
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »
I had this idea based off a character in an unrelated freeform game I play in.

The ancient Grigori were tasked with overseeing humanity. Though they were meant to observe, many became enamored with humanity, opting to intervene with humanity directly, teaching them many arts considered forbidden and taking mortal spouses. Whatever their original intent was, their goals were pervented, ultimately ending with the banishment of the entire order.

Some of the Grigori lost themselves to their passions, eventually joining the Fallen. However, some, particularly the ones originally led by Azazel, managed to regain some measure of control. Knowing their sins earned their banishment, they nonetheless strive to aid humanity as they once did, but without getting too close lest they make the same mistakes as before.

Drawing upon the ambient energies of the Watcher's Tower and its masters, you're able to cast spells that fits in its masters' essential nature, that of craftsmen.

Cost: -4, standard discounts.

Benefits: Standard sponsored magic benefits. Soulsteel is similar to Soulfire in a number of ways, particularly in the avenues of Crafting and Conjuration.  Any so far undeclared powers of Soulfire not involving bypassing defenses may be applied to these Thaumatugic applications. Despite this, most in the know beings are contemptuous of it, calling it a "Cheap Imitation", as whatever would make it Soulfire is diluted immensely. That being said, incorporeal and discorporated beings are cautious around its practitioners, as weapons and spells empowered by Soulsteel may satisfy their Catch.
In evocation, Soulsteel functions most like the element of Earth or if applicable, Metal, as well as producing effects along the lines of Crafting and Conjuration, but with evocation spell's methods and speed.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Sponsored Magic: Soulsteel
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:33:56 AM »
I'm wondering if Divination would be a better idiom for Grogori magic. Certainly those who Watch would have ample opportunity to learn about Crafting, but it seems like less of a fit.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:39:24 AM »
I'm wondering if Divination would be a better idiom for Grogori magic. Certainly those who Watch would have ample opportunity to learn about Crafting, but it seems like less of a fit.

I specifically referred to Azazel, the one who was taught mankind crafting of weapons, armor, ornaments, and perfume, to stay in line with this concept.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »
I specifically referred to Azazel, the one who was taught mankind crafting of weapons, armor, ornaments, and perfume, to stay in line with this concept.

Sounds like fair game, then. Rock on!
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 07:29:05 AM »
There is nothing against having Divination be a part of it too. It also lets you have Divination at the speed of Evocation, which could be useful.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »
There is nothing against having Divination be a part of it too. It also lets you have Divination at the speed of Evocation, which could be useful.

My worry was about it having too many effect, and the crafting/conjuration was more central to the concept than the divination. If it's not then I'll be happy to add it.