Author Topic: New list thread: custom Items of Power  (Read 3427 times)

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
New list thread: custom Items of Power
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:55:53 AM »
Like the title says.  Items of Power can be more than Refresh rebates for your characters - they can be sources of really great thematics.  Share!

My offering: The Gallows Eye (for a pirate-themed game) (-2 to -3)
A carved wooden false eye, worn smooth, with a twisted grain running throughout.  This eye was carved from a used gallows tree, upon which the character's trusted captain had been hung.  Now, the character wears the eye as a macabre memorial... and to make use of the spirit-sight it grants.

It Is What It Is: A false eye.  Thus, in order to make use of the Gallows Eye, a character must lose an eye and place the Gallows Eye in its stead.  The eye does not grant standard binocular vision - it is, after all, a false eye - and thus the Aspect associated with this Item will be compelled quite often for situations requiring depth perception.  
Unbreakable: The Gallows Eye cannot be destroyed save by the use of a necromantic ritual similar to a ghost-binding or the Darkhallow.  
Imparted Abilities:
One-Time Discount [+1]
Ghost Speaker [-1]
The Sight with a leaning toward death, ghosts, and spirits [-1]
Spirit Sensitivity (as the Stunt Finely-Tuned Third Eye) [-1]
Psychometry [-1] can also be added, at sight rather than touch.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:50:57 AM by HobbitGuy1420 »

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
Re: New list thread: custom Items of Power
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 06:50:20 AM »
For my Patriotic Defender of America character, a knight in a Mason-esque secret society dedicated to combating supernatural threats, I've made the Sword of the Revolution.

The Sword of the Revolution [-3]
• One-Time Discount [+2]
• It Is What It Is: George Washington’s exquisitely made hanger-type battle sword that functions at Weapon: 3.
• Unbreakable: The sword cannot be broken except through a ritual dedicated to perverting its purpose or preventing the freedom of a being possessing freewill.
• Let Freedom Ring [-2]: The wielder may draw the sword from its sheath to create a sound like a ringing bell clearly and audibly in an area including its current zone and all adjacent zones. The radius may be doubled for each point of mental stress the wielder takes when drawing the sword. Those within the affected area are protected from mind-clouding supernatural effects by a block based on an Intimidation roll made by the wielder. This same roll is used as a maneuver against any non-corporeal entities to startle them and drive them off.
• True Aim [-1]: When swung in keeping with its purpose, the Sword of the Revolution grants a +1 to the wielder’s Weapons skill.
• All Beings Are Created Equal [-2]: When facing an opponent, the wielder may spend a fate point to ignore that opponent’s defensive abilities (Toughness based ones, primarily), as well as any mundane armor the foe has, for the duration of the scene. In essence, the Sword of the Revolution may take the place of whatever it is that a creature has a weakness to (whatever “the Catch” is on their Toughness powers), on demand, so long as the wielder can spend that fate point - particularly handy when facing ultra-tough Denarians or true dragons. Whatever abilities a creature may have, the job of the Sword of the Revolution is creating a mostly even playing field – or something very much like it – between mortal and monster.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:30:08 PM by Buscadera »
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:57:49 AM »
Objection withdrawn.  Play on!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:19:54 PM by HobbitGuy1420 »

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 07:03:29 AM »
George Washington’s exquisitely made Civil War era cavalry saber that functions at Weapon: 3.

So... which one of those is correct?  It's either George Washington's Revolutionary War saber, or Ulysses S. Grant's Civil War era saber.  George Washington had been dead for 60 years before the Civil War broke out.

EDIT: Beaten to it!

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
Whoops... I think I just started throwing history terms onto the page without looking. I'm sure the sword was used during the Civil War to combat some sort of supernatural menace, but it originated with Washington in the Revolutionary War.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »
For my Winter Night character, who is decidedly more subtle and less combative than people expect of him.

Cloak of Midwinter Night [-2]
One Time Discount [+2]
It Is What It Is: As named, it is a heavy, floor length cloak woven of a thread so deep blue as to be practically identical to the night sky. When worn by its owner under the stars, they are reflected in its threads as if it was a mirror. The interior is lined with pure white fur from what seems to be a polar bear, which never stains.
Unbreakable: The Cloak cannot be destroyed except through a ritual dedicating it to summer and in the presence of the summer wellspring, or at the will of its weaver, Mother Winter herself.
Faerie Glamours [-2]: The wearer of the cloak may use the Glamours power. Of note, when the power of Winter or any other true magic is used, any Seemings will vanish, revealing the cloak and wearer for what they are, and cannot be reapplied for the remainder of the scene, though veils made with this power will still work.
Winter's Blessing [-2]: The owner of the cloak is granted Inhuman Toughness. The Catch is the Seelie Magic [+1].
Flight [-1]: The owner of the cloak is granted the Wings power, as the cloak billows out, spreading into an enormous (think almost 30ft) pair of Raven's Wings, reversing to white above and black below. This may not be disguised by a Seeming, though the wearer may still be Veiled.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »
Might want to think about adding Iron to that catch, standard fairy weaknesses and all.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:02:57 PM by sinker »

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »
I thought about it, but I decided to use the Catch present on the Knights from Our World, which is "The Trappings of Summer" which my GM defined as needing the actual power of summer, i.e., Seelie Magic.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »
There was another thread a bit like this recently. Here's what was submitted to it:

Sealskin Selkie Robe
Hexenwulfen-style IoP, it allows the owner to transform into a seal.  
Appearance: a long, floor length fur robe, with the hood being the head of a seal.
It Is What It Is: This is a fur robe, made from the complete skin of an adult harbor seal.  Watch out for PETA.
Item of Power: Seal-Fur Robe, [+2] affecting:
Echoes of the Beast [-1] +1 hearing, see in the dark, talk to sea life.
Beast Change [-1]
Human Form [+1]
Aquatic [-1]
Demonic Co-Pilot: [-1] The Co-pilot is an animal spirit, not a demon of rage or hunger. However, it creates a link to the wearer; if another possess the robe, it functions as a potent material link to her, as strong as her True Name and thus can be used to bind her.  Loaning the robe to someone else bonds the spirit to them.  
Total refresh cost: -1.

Ring of Anubis
A ring of black obsidian set in the shape of an open eye
The wearer of the ring carries the Mark of Anubis and has his power over things dead
Grants [+2]
[-1] Ghost-Speaker
[-1] Marked by Power
[-1] Refinement (Ectomancy Control +1, Ectomancy Power +1)
(total cost -1)

Tin Foil Helmet
+2 Discount
-8 Physical Immunity: Mind control magic
+5 Catch: Only protects against magic or powers that would affect the mind or emotions.
-1 = Total cost

Christ's Bloodwhip [-3]
The whip used to torture Christ on the cross. The blood of the White God's son has soaked into it and imbued it with the power of holy pain.
+2 discount
-1 Holy
-1 Incite Emotion (Pain)
-1 Lasting Emotion
-1 Potent Emotion
-1 It's A Whip (Use Weapons for Incite Emotion)

The Shifting Destiny
The Shifting Destiny is an ancient artifact that takes the form the most suits the wielder, even if the wielder doesn't know it suits them. The only thing that remains constant throughout the many incarnations of the artifact is that somewhere on the artifact is a triangle. Those that know of item or seek to take it often refer to it as "The Destiny" or "The Gift". Those that come to wield artifact often give it a nickname that symbolizes it's current incarnation.
Unbreakable
Modular Item; As Modular Abilities without the -2 surcharge, this item takes the form the most suits the wielder the first time they touch the item and the item shape may never be changed thereafter. The form The Shifting Destiny takes could be anything: a bow, shield, or even a pen. Once the form is changed, it remains locked until it has a new wielder. The abilities of The Shifting Destiny can grow and evolve for the wielder.
The Price of Change; The Shifting Destiny only changes when it is “rightfully acquired,” traditionally this means when it is given to a new wielder or taken from a deceased wielder (taking it from a living wielder by thievery or force will not change the artifact until the current wielder is dead). Temporarily loaning The Shifting Destiny does not change the item, but all subsequent rolls made with the The Shifting Destiny by the loan-ee are at -1 as the item’s current form is not meant for them.
Affecting the following for Nicholas:
It’s a Sword; For Nicholas, The Shifting Destiny takes the form of perfectly made Weapon:3 longsword.
True Aim
Flaming; as Holy, except with Fire.
Flare; as Breath Weapon (Fire). Note: The attack comes from the sword, not from Nicholas.
Nova Flare; Flare is now Weapon:4
One Time Discount: +2
Total Cost: -3

Mjolnir
"The Bigger They Are...": as All Creatures Equal Before a God with a Hammer
It's a BIG Hammer: Weapon:3, reasoning is that it was intended to be a two handed weapon.
The Weight of Responsibility: as Divine Purpose. When not being properly wielded, Mjolnir becomes an unwieldy weight.
True Aim
Unbreakable
Never Far From Reach: Mjolnir can be thrown as a weapon up to 2 zones away (instead of the standard 1). Upon striking or missing, it returns to its owner's hand on the following exchange. This ability only works when the hammer is thrown. If the hammer caught, stuck, or taken from the bearer the hammer will not magically return.
One Time Discount: +2 (It's awkward to hide, thus fairly easy to detect)
Total Cost: -3 (including +2)

Megingjoro
It's a Belt: Megingjoro takes the form of a wolf-hide belt.
Thunder's Strength: grants Inhuman Strength.
Note 1: The bearer loses access to Inhuman Strength when not in physical contact with Megingjoro.
Note 2: If the bearer already possess a Strength power, increase it one step (e.g. Inhuman to Supernatural or Supernatural to Mythic).
Note 3: Those with Mythic Strength can Lift an object as if it were 2 shifts lighter and gain an additional +1 bonus to Breaking.
Unbreakable
Note: Megingjoro is not required to wield Mjolnir
Total Cost: -1

Jarngreipr
It's a Gauntlet: Jarngreipr is a single gauntlet.
Physical Immunity (Electricity)
The Catch (Not Electricity)
Note: The bearer loses access to Physical Immunity (Electricity) when not in physical contact with Jarngreipr.
Unbreakable
Note: Jarngreipr is not required to wield Mjolnir
Total Cost: -2

Armageddon Sign
-0 Cassandra's Tears
-4 supernatural toughness (mainly used to protect from elements and exhaustion): Catch: only works while wielder is hollering
+3 item of power rebate
-1 total cost
0: it is what is is: this object consists of two large wooden boards, attached by two ropes, and must be worn over the shoulders to work. The boards are painted with appropriate doomsday signs.  Due to the supernatural toughness, the user suffers no real ill effect from shouting at the top of his lungs for hours at near-zero temperatures.
Note: when worn with tinfoil hat, only one item of power rebate applies.

[-2] Vitamin W
A combat drug that causes the body of the user to create a number of chemicals. These chemicals are useful, but likely to harm the user.
[+1] Rebate
[+1] Side Effects (Treat as Feeding Dependency, but use Endurance and the physical stress track)
[-1] Synthetic Adrenaline (Treat as Demonic Co-Pilot, but use Endurance and the physical stress track)
[-1] Addictive Saliva
[-2] Venomous Sweat (Like Venomous Claws, but without the claws)

[-1] Crown Of The Iron Spires
An ornate iron crown that grants rulership of the Iron Spires, which is a region of the Nevernever.
[+2] Rebate
[-1] Demense
[-1] Improved Demense (Attacks with Demense power are weapon 2)
[-2] Swift Transition (From anywhere to the Iron Spires, and then back where you came from)
[+1] No Mortal Home (It sends you to the Iron Spires if you fall unconcious)

[-2] Temporal Accelerator
A small gadget that slows down time around the user.
[+1] Rebate
[-2] Inhuman Speed
[-2] Inhuman Recovery
[+1] The Catch (No total recovery, just faster healing)

Please keep in mind that this content was created by numerous authors who may disagree with each other or with you over formatting and rules.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:44:25 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 09:56:13 PM »
Linking the thread may have been better than reposting or at least quoting. I was about to repost my IoPs.

Mine were The Shifting Destiny, Mjolnir, Megingjoro, and Jarngreipr.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:51:42 AM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 05:45:04 AM »
would anyone mind if i put these on my thread
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 05:50:01 AM »
Where's your thread?  I'll throw in the Gallows Eye.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 05:51:54 AM »
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »
I'm actually working on a possible item of power for my Son of Thor character (Othmundr Thorson, professor of mythologoy).  Since his trouble is that he freed Loki and he has a bit of a magical bent, I was thinking he was prophesied to be someone that battle evil magic.  It was crafted by Brokk and Eiti, the dwarves that crafted Mjolnir and other artifacts.  Thor gave a lock of his hair, which was fashioned into the handle, Odin blessed the iron used for the head of the hammer with good magics.  The dwarves toiled for three days crafting the hammer, which is known has Hvíturgaldur (that means White Magic in icelandic).

I'm kinda limited in how many points I can put into it, so I was thinking the following:

-2 (It's a two-handed warhammer).
Skills Affected:  Weapons, Others
Musts:  You must have a destiny or calling to use the Hammer, represented by a template or aspect.  You must be able to craft magical items or use magic that protects, dispels, heals and use wind and lightning.  (You do not have to be GOOD at all of these things just capable).
Effects:
Protector of White Magic:  Hvíturgaldur purpose is to oppose black magic and defend white magic.  If it is ever attempted to be used to break any of the laws of magic, harm an innocent, destroy good magical works, and empower evil magical works, then the act automatically falls and the bond between the wielder and the Hvíturgaldur is broken.  It can only be restored by a magical ritual wherein the wielder cleanses and purifies his body and soul.

It's a Warhammer:  Hvíturgaldur is a large, two-handed warhammer (weapon 3).

True Aim:  When used in keeping with its purpose, Hvíturgaldur grants a +1 bonus to the user's weapon skill.

Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, it cannot be broken, save through dedicated magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.

Inscriptions:  Hvíturgaldur is designed to carry and wield magical enchantments.  It has 4 enchanted slots that may be used for the same or different abilities as the user wishes (including one-use effects as per potion rules).  These effects are limited to ones involving some aspect of storms (due to Thor's infleunce), or protecting, dispelling, or healing.

Potential Focus:  Focus Slots may be used to turn the hammer into a focus.  It can only be used as a focus for magics relating to storms, protection, dispelling, or healing.

Something Else:

I figure the focus thing is essentially a 0, Inscription is -1 (a type of refinement), and True Aim is -1.  Seems like it should having something else, but another level of Inscription seems a bit much, so I am not sure.