Author Topic: New Monsters  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
New Monsters
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:17:22 PM »
I came up with an idea for a new type of monster, though it may already be in the game and I haven't seen it, I call it the "Thaumavore" otherwise known as the "Magic-Eater". I'm not familiar enough with the game yet to stat it out, but the basic idea is that it hunts magic and magic users via a magical tracking sense then eats and absorbs the source of the magic as well as any magic cast at it and is generally immune to any magic effects whether direct or Area of Effect that can effect it. Example it is immune to illusions, but not to magic that affects another person...except it can eat the person and absorb the magic. I'm trying to think of a better way to word the catch. In addition the magic it eats grants it additional power base don the amount of magic it absorbs. It may start out as not much stronger than your average dog, but becomes a powerhouse in a hurry. Naturally the thing was created to hunt and kill sorcerers and wizards and other things that hunt and use magic but is an especially monstrous bane to the Fae and other creatures that are sustained by magic; in short something that could be considered the equivalent of awakening a Tarrasque (Old school mythological and D&D reference for those not in the know).
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
Re: New Monsters
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »
Yup it in there, In Turn Coat, the monster could hunt down magic people and eat there body and power.  it would then become its own. 
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:49:06 PM »
Well, the
(click to show/hide)
did grow in power from what it killed, I wouldn't describe it as a thaumavore, and it definitely wasn't created to hunt down magic users. What Renfield is thinking of makes me think of the WoT gholam.

As far as the power, Physical Immunity to Magic (you decide on whether to spread it to all types of magic or just one like Mortal), the Catch being not magic, and add Feeding Dependency with the requirement of magic affecting some Strength and Speed powers. Strength and Speed Powers are what you need, since you've taken away their main way of dealing damage, so you can implement your own much easier. A Supernatural Sense of being able to 'smell' magic, and be able to track it that way, would be useful as well.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
Physical Immunity, with the Catch being against magic (+2 protects only against, +2 very rare to find, +1 or +2 for knowledge of, so thats a +5 or +6 catch, making PhysImm cost 3-4 refresh).  Mimic Ability, spend up to a cost of whatever you can afford.  Maybe "sponsored magic", to represent eating a spell and "recasting" it. 

Also, since this is absolutely a monster, the total adjusted refresh could be very negative.  Even dropping the sponsored magic, lets just assume the catch costs "+6".  That means it has 2 refresh, plus however much you want for Mimic Ability. Lets just say you have it take 4.  Now you have a creature with -6 refresh.  And after "X" refresh, it gains another point of refresh for mimic ability.  Like, since it has 4 refresh worth mimic abilities, it has to eat a caster with more than 4 points of spell casting ability to gain just one more point of refresh.

[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]