Author Topic: Tagging aspects  (Read 2040 times)

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Tagging aspects
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »
I do not have my books hands and lack time to research the forum
How many aspects can one person tag in a single round /exchange?

Thanks
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Tagging aspects
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
From what I understand, as many as you can, as they mention in the rules about buddies using a bunch of maneuvers to set someone up for a knockout punch.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:35:35 AM »
As many tags as you have available can be used. There is no limit.
If 10 of your friends each set a maneuver on the big bad, then you can tag all 10 for the finishing move. Provided they give you access to their tags.

Invoking is quite similar, only restricted by your number of Fate Points, except that you may not invoke the same aspect twice for the same action.

Consequently you would also not be able to tag and invoke a specific aspect at the same time.

Offline AlexFallad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:52:34 AM »
Instead of creating a new thread, I'll hop on here :)

Starting as a new player...lots of questions :)

1. It's my understanding that declarations take no time in game, but require a skill check.  But then, so do manuevers, which consume your action in combat.  So if I'm playing a char with the Martial Artist stunt (although the stunt isn't required I believe), why would I use manuevers instead of declarations.  Is it as simple as, from a mechanics and rp standpoint, I can only declare one aspect about an opponent's fighting style?  This seems to make sense to me...after one declaration on an opponent, my char now has to manuever to get those aspects (and free tags)?

2.  A char can only use its Mild consequence for Physical, Mental, and Social stress, not for each one?  So if you mark off Mild for P stress, it's unavailable for the others?

Thanks

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:49:58 AM »
1. As far as I know, there is no hard limit on the number of declarations that a player may make. The GM is expected to keep things sane, generally by increasing the difficulty of the roll required to create the aspect. This is especially important when a player is performing thaumaturgy.

2. Yes.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 03:16:28 AM »
2.  A char can only use its Mild consequence for Physical, Mental, and Social stress, not for each one?  So if you mark off Mild for P stress, it's unavailable for the others?

Yes, with a but.

There are some powers and stunts that allow you to take more consequence levels.  Those are tied to one particular area.  For example, Resilient Self-Image allows you to take 'two additional mild mental consequences'.

But without stunts, powers, etc you have only one consequence at each level and if it's used for a Mental consequence it's not available for a physical or social consequence.

Richard

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 06:46:05 AM »
1. It's my understanding that declarations take no time in game, but require a skill check.  But then, so do manuevers, which consume your action in combat.  So if I'm playing a char with the Martial Artist stunt (although the stunt isn't required I believe), why would I use manuevers instead of declarations.  Is it as simple as, from a mechanics and rp standpoint, I can only declare one aspect about an opponent's fighting style?  This seems to make sense to me...after one declaration on an opponent, my char now has to manuever to get those aspects (and free tags)?

This gets waay easier to understand when looked at from a GM's perspective rather than the players. The whole purpose of declarations is to make the GM's job easier by having the players add detail to the world and flesh out the story and it's characters. If you are adding extra depth to the situation then you should be rewarded. If you're declaring something trivial all the time, giving the GM dozens of possible aspects to keep track of then you really aren't playing to the spirit of the rule, and it's going to be harder to pull off, assuming the GM doesn't just tell you no outright.

Offline eberg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »
Depends on the type of Declaration. If you are casing a building with Burglary, it certainly takes time. If you are remembering that this sort of Faerie is driven off by the smoke of burning yew, that's not going to take any time. Since, as you note, Declaration have the potential to do the same thing Maneuvers do only faster and with indefinite duration, GMs should generally be a bit harsher when assigning difficulties for them and should often require taking an action. If you want to declare the Aspect FAVORS HIS RIGHT KNEE, I'm going to require you spend an exchange watching him move. Further, the difficulty is going to be +6 unless there is some reason this is cool or relevant, like referencing two scenes ago when he told you about a motorcycle crash a few days prior.