Author Topic: Angelic Scion  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Angelic Scion
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:48:41 AM »
I was thinking that I think that it would be interesting to play a character that was the Scion of a Angel, has anyone done this already and if so how did you do it (powers and aspects)?

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
Re: Angelic Scion
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:38:49 AM »
For a nephilim character, I would think you'd want some physical abilities (Inhuman Strength, Inhuman Speed, Inhuman Toughness and Inhuman Recovery with a catch of unholy things) as well as some True Believer powers like Righteousness and Holy Touch. All of that plus a Human Guise that disguises the nephilim's angelic Wings and that's a half-angel ready to go.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:17:46 AM »
Soulfire or hellfire (sponsored magics) are both valid options. And to head off this argument, a certain archangel is reported to commonly use both. and the Fallen *are* angels. well, *were*. :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
I was definitely thinking some of the inhuman stats and soulfire, the faith powers would be very fitting too.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »
Who uses hellfire and soulfire?
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »
Specifically, the archangel Rafael.  It's mentioned offhandedly, and I don't think it actually said his name.  But I'm obsessive about angels and faeries, so I pay unusual attention to that stuff.  It is also mentioned that soulfire and hellfire are "two sides of the same coin". 
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:08:31 PM »
Specifically, the archangel Rafael.  It's mentioned offhandedly, and I don't think it actually said his name.  But I'm obsessive about angels and faeries, so I pay unusual attention to that stuff.  It is also mentioned that soulfire and hellfire are "two sides of the same coin"

Yeah I think Jim makes that pretty clear.  Soulfire is creation, while hellfire is destruction.  They are employed by both sides, but each sides has a favorite activity so....

For game purposes however, I could see taking

-2 Inhuman Toughness
-2 Inhuman Recovery
+2 Catch (defiled items (hard to find, but everyone who knows anything about magic knows this))
-2 Inhuman Strength or Speed (depending on if your father was a warrior or messenger angel)
+1 Human Form
  -5 Sponsored Magic (Soulfire)
  -1 Wings

That would be a pretty bad ass -9 character.  A demon scion would replace soulfire with hellfire.  In the game, hellfire is only -4, so you could switch to Human Guise.  Or, to be more awesome, add -1 Claws.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 10:24:34 PM »
Soulfire - and any magic - have little to do with physical form, if anything. Human Form should apply to Wings, Strength and Recovery instead of to it.

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »
Soulfire - and any magic - have little to do with physical form, if anything. Human Form should apply to Wings, Strength and Recovery instead of to it.

Well in this sense, the Human Forms masks the mantle of of his angelic nature.  The underlying being is the same, so he retains the physical powers.  The Wings aren't so much physical as metaphysical, an energy that allows him to defy gravity's authority.  In order to employ the true angelic gifts of his father, he must shed his Human Form.  It's a reinterpretation of the power, but well within the rules.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 11:59:21 PM »
Two such characters; one is an angelic warrior, she's currently at:

Human Form, affecting:
Inhuman Speed
Inhuman Toughness (Catch: +1: When doubting her faith. This could be a 0 catch, but in this campaign it's actually capable of being exploited, so we put it at +1)
Wings
Claws (We used this to represent the sharpness of her wings)
---
unaffected by human guise:
Guide My Hand
Righteous Touch
Cassandra's Tears

The other has
sponsored magic (soulfire)
guide my hand
Inhuman strength
Inhuman toughness, Inhuman recovery (Catch, +3, attacks by mortals)
maybe some more, I forget offhand

(they are at 11 refresh, and i didn't check for stunts and such)

Her catch was meant to be very difficult to get around.  One could enforce it by social combat first, forcing her to take even a mild consequence of "starting to doubt my faith".  Other than that, some specific campaign elements and backstories can help get around it.

His catch was meant to allow him to take on supernatural evils, but in a common barfight he's no tougher than normal. It comes from the decision that he shouldn't be confronting mortals with hostility, and that he specifically wanted his catch to NOT be "unholy" as he wanted his powers to be used against them.

The limitation I slapped on this was forbidding them involuntary change with human guise (and thus the bonus), as i thought a god of free will wouldn't let those powers be uncontrollable.  They make the decision to enact the powers, and to act on them, and are responsible for it.  I also wrote specific sponsored magic rules for how capital g allows soulfire to be used in our game (you can't break a law of magic with it, for one).

It's been pretty fun, I made the city they are in a little more corrupt than usual so that they have more heat for doing the right thing.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 02:26:13 AM »
Well in this sense, the Human Forms masks the mantle of of his angelic nature.  The underlying being is the same, so he retains the physical powers.  The Wings aren't so much physical as metaphysical, an energy that allows him to defy gravity's authority.  In order to employ the true angelic gifts of his father, he must shed his Human Form.  It's a reinterpretation of the power, but well within the rules.
I agree.

I have an Agent(Emissary) of Azrael, who has to shed Human Form in order to use his patron's death powers.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
I've also seen a lot of variants of this with human form and beast change, with the new skill set representing skills more "appropriate" to an angel/scion of whatever. 

Our winged angel also has supernatural sense: detect evil- very much like a DnD paladin used to have, only it doesn't work on people unless they are very negative on refresh and have multiple lawbreaker stunts.  It lets her sense the presence of "evil" supernatural beings (black court, demons, outsiders, ect) as well as active black magic. Came in very handy when fighting a body snatcher.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 03:23:08 AM »
Human Form, affecting:
Inhuman Speed
Inhuman Toughness (Catch: +1: When doubting her faith. This could be a 0 catch, but in this campaign it's actually capable of being exploited, so we put it at +1)
Wings
Claws (We used this to represent the sharpness of her wings)

I love the idea for using the sharp wings as claws
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 04:43:53 AM »
I really like the idea of giving them human form to hide the wings, it is an interesting way of doing it.  I also really enjoyed the idea of them having the detect evil special sense.  All the ideas have been really fun though.  If only I could play one of these characters...lol.  I wish that our group were playing 2-3 dresden games, too many good character ideas, le sigh.  LOL

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 07:19:53 AM »
Has anyone thought of using the Changeling mechanic for scions?  They can keep on drawing from their supernatural side any time they need to, but instead of becoming a full demon/angel/whatever when they hit 0 refresh they just lose their ability to ignore their sire's agenda.  You become an NPC a normal.