Author Topic: Toon Town?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Toon Town?
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »
So there are supposedly many varied universes or even odd parts of the Never Never, what if Toon Town (Who Framed Roger Rabbit) existed?
Think of the fun Fae could have with people who stumble into there!
It'd be fun just to use the Tasmanian Devil's only spoken line; "Why for you bury me in the cold, cold ground?"
8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:35:57 PM by Renfield »
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
Re: Toon Town?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
Awesome, but now you've done it.

We need some themes for Toon Town, some aspects, and at least one Face :)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »
Don't look at me, I'm new to this game, but ff hand I'd say that if you are basing it on the Roger Rabbit version then Roger would have to be the Face, at least the primary face.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:55:35 PM »
Meh, I don't think Roger is the best primary face. For one thing Jessica was better connected than he was. I'd go with Bugs, he is kinda the unofficial primary character of the Warner Bros properties. Of course if you're expanding past the Warner Bros properties Mickey has been the standard cartoon ambassador for many years.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:20:43 PM »
It should be somebody obscure, forgotten, full of bitterness with an axe to grind :)

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »
What were the names of those Crows that smoked Stoggies all the time?
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »
I was about to say Heckle and Jeckle but they didn't smoke cigars.
If you want to go really old school there's Koko the Clown or the Better-known Felix the Cat form the early 1920's or so. 
Later on you get Crusader Rabbit in the 1950's.
Then you get Betty Boop, Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, the Looney Toons etc...

I think that Felix the Cat would serve best as he is one of the oldest and one of the most Globally recognized followed by Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »
There's a book out there, Shadows Fall by Simon R. Green, that has a town where the old concepts go to die.  Characters from the children's book from the 1920s are there, waiting for their memory to die which will cause them to fade away into nothingness.

I can see Toon Town working the same way.  Images from pop culture generating enough emotional energy that they imprint themselves on the Nevernever.  Cartoons, especially the cartoons that charge up children, could easily have created a realm in the Nevernever where they are real.  Where safes fall from the sky to smash people - who get smashed flat then re-inflated.

It should be possible to create all the cartoons, borrowing heavily from fairy powers - with restrictions.  For example: Bugs used to glamour himself into looking like a beeeautiful lady but the glamour only worked on other toons (usually Elmer Fudge or Daffy Duck), so maybe a catch of "Only affects other Toons" would be good for their powers .  Alternatively they could be like how the Fae are limited and unable to affect anyone who hasn't signed on to cartoon logic.

I would definitely give every toon a form of 'unkillable' but also give them a ban on really killing normal people (including PCs, but maybe excluding monsters).  They can lay a beat down, but if you accept the consequence of "seeing birdies" then you're back up for the next scene.

Richard

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »
When I first saw "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"  I immediately thought of Fae.  Immortal, and completely incapable of understanding the consequences of their actions; sheer impulse.

Toon Town would definitely fit in the Never-Never.  Aspects of "Only if it's Funny", "No One Ever Dies"

I can see the super-stars of the toon world (Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse) living in palatial, impossible mansions, muttering sourly about the up and coming performers...
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 04:18:07 AM »
To me, the answer is obvious. Whose face is over the archway leading into ToonTown? Whose cartoon was the first thing ever broadcast on television? Who is (arguably) the most well known (if not most popular) cartoon character of all?

Felix the Cat, of course. Can't beat him: perfect "Face" for all Toons everywhere.
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 04:32:30 AM »
...are we going to add the "cool world" verse into this as well?
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 08:40:16 PM »
You can do whatever you like, I mainly put this up as a Lark, but I don't see any reason why there can't be multiple different versions of Toon Town or other pocket worlds hidden in the depths of the Never-Never. One of the Caveats for any such realm is that they can only be reached via very specific means. I.E. have to have a copy of the Movie on VCR or some such (not DvD, too technical and easy to erase) or maybe even a chunk of the original film reel itself. Something a collector might acquire and hold onto until he succumbs to fae-induced dementia and the characters are forced to travel into his own warped version of Toon-Town to rescue him...sounds like a good plot idea to me!

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 03:09:54 AM »
It could be accessed through an old acme anvil factory... ;D