Author Topic: To compel or not to compel  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
To compel or not to compel
« on: November 23, 2010, 03:02:14 PM »
As a GM, do you compel the "negative" aspects that affect your NPCs? Or do you wait for your PCs to actually spend some of their FATE points?

How does it work?

For example, an NPC is affected by the aspect "Stunned". When its his time to act, should the GM compel the aspect to limit his actions if none of the PC actually do so? If no one compel the aspect, its almost like the NPC is actually not Stunned...right?

This leads to my main issue I guess...which is probably caused by my lack of experience with the FATE system.

When an aspect is in place, it seem to only matter if someone uses a FATE point to activate it. Otherwise the aspect have no real impact on the scene.

Back to the "stunned" aspect on an NPC. What does it change for the NPC to have such aspect if no one compels it? He just goes and act normally? Or is it the GM's responsability to compel the NPC's aspect? And if the GM do so, why would PCs ever bother to actually use their own FATE points?

Thanks a lot guys for the help!

I think this is among the last elements I have to clear out in my head before I am fully comfortable with the FATE system...

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: To compel or not to compel
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 03:19:22 PM »
As a GM, do you compel the "negative" aspects that affect your NPCs? Or do you wait for your PCs to actually spend some of their FATE points?

How does it work?

For example, an NPC is affected by the aspect "Stunned". When its his time to act, should the GM compel the aspect to limit his actions if none of the PC actually do so? If no one compel the aspect, its almost like the NPC is actually not Stunned...right?

Partly right. If it remains uncompelled the NPC isn't hindered in his action. However the PC who "introduced" STUNNED on the NPC will benefit from his advantage through the free tag. Depending on the coming actions of the NPC and the description of the aspect the GM should probably compel and give FP to the NPC.

This leads to my main issue I guess...which is probably caused by my lack of experience with the FATE system.

When an aspect is in place, it seem to only matter if someone uses a FATE point to activate it. Otherwise the aspect have no real impact on the scene.

See tagging of aspects.

Back to the "stunned" aspect on an NPC. What does it change for the NPC to have such aspect if no one compels it? He just goes and act normally? Or is it the GM's responsability to compel the NPC's aspect? And if the GM do so, why would PCs ever bother to actually use their own FATE points?

See above. Aspects are a fluent thing. The NPC not being affected by STUNNED might be able to shrug it of for just a moment or the stun is less effective then you might think.

Thanks a lot guys for the help!

I think this is among the last elements I have to clear out in my head before I am fully comfortable with the FATE system...

Welcome. I bet you will get around to it. Perhaps try to simulate some exchanges in your mind or on paper. I'm sure it'll help. There is an other thread on the first page where something similar was asked.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »
Most of the time, my PCs have chosen to take the free tag on an NPC consequence to get  a +2 to their action rather than compel it in some fashion. The only example i have read (here, i think, on one of the play by post forums, or it was someone's blog) was a PC compelling a wound on an NPC to keep him from being able to run away.

O don't compel it myself, as usually it's moot -the PCs will have resolved the situation shortly. I've used it for narrative effect and to slide some fate points to an NPC when i thought the npc was going to live through the scene.

As for negative aspects on the NPCs actual aspect list, i compel those all the time.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:41:43 PM »
I mostly Compel NPCs in Decision making situations. So the villain might opt not to chase the defeated PCs out of the library because he's "Obsessed with occult knowledge," and the library is filled with information he needs.

I don't Compel NPCs in tactical combat situations. I leave that up to the players to do. I feel like it keeps them more engaged.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 03:01:56 AM »
I don't Compel NPCs in tactical combat situations. I leave that up to the players to do. I feel like it keeps them more engaged.
I Compel NPCs in those situations where their Aspects may be Compelled. If the NPC has "Afraid of fire", then I would Compel when the building is burning.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 03:54:16 AM »
There is a difference between not providing a benefit and not having impact. If the room is dark and the player says "what do I see?" The GM still gets to say "The room is dark."

The GM can also say "make me an Alertness roll to see if you notice the two guys hiding at the bottom of the stairs before they jump you."

If he can also offer a compel. "The room is dark."