Author Topic: Triggered Ward question  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
Triggered Ward question
« on: November 23, 2010, 06:39:24 AM »
I have a question on how to mechanically setup a specific type of Ward around a character's home, and was looking for some imput from other members on how they would go about creating the Ward, both in terms of difficulty and practicality.

A standard Ward is typically built on a home with a Threshold.  What I have been thinking about, is a somewhat more 'layered' defence for my PIA would-be wizard.  In addition to a Legendary (8+) strength Ward, linked to Wardflames, I would also like to have an additional, external Ward.  The secondary Ward would be built on/based off a low stone wall, of the type found around a number of the older New England farmhouses and burial grounds.  However, unlike the Ward around the actual house, the secondary Ward would have to be activated by some trigger.

Until the secondary Ward gets triggered/activated, people would be able to open and walk through the gate, or hop the stone wall just like it was a regular stone wall.  Once the secondary Ward is activated, a Wall of Air/Spirit (like in the Judith Tarr novel Pride of Kings) of Legendary (8+) strength would block passage into or out of the area enclosed by the stone wall.

Does this sound like a workable construct?  And would people treat this as a second Ward that is cast on their home, or would be it part of the first Ward cast, and increase complexity?
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline cgodfrey7

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Triggered Ward question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »
I would think it would be two different wards.  Add 2 shifts for a condition to trigger the wall ward.  Given the size you are talking about, it would probably need 2 more shifts to cover that much area as well.  Oh, and don't forget to add more shifts to make the ward last longer than until next sunrise, even though it hasn't been triggered, the construct needs to last for a while. 

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Triggered Ward question
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 07:38:17 AM »
honestly for home defense i would go for a bit beefer setup, it really is quite easy to set up 4 aspects to tag when you have time on your hands also it only takes 14 shifts to make a ward your children will get use of, that only covers duration btw so youl need to add in some actual strength although nothing says you cant have 100 strength 1 wards protecting your house.