Author Topic: Unusual character...  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Unusual character...
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:46:21 PM »
How would you price the powers for someone that can use both Soulfire and Hellfire?

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual character...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »
-9 is the immediate answer, but I think a total of -7 would be fair. The powers are certainly opposite, allowing for both creation and destruction. But I think a return of 1 Refresh is a good compromise.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »
I wouldn't allow it. From what Jim has said, they are the same thing, only used differently.

Besides, -9 for both of them? even with Evocation and Thaumaturgy rebate, that is expensive. Buy Refinement with what is left over after buying one and you would do better.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
I wouldn't allow it. From what Jim has said, they are the same thing, only used differently.

Besides, -9 for both of them? even with Evocation and Thaumaturgy rebate, that is expensive. Buy Refinement with what is left over after buying one and you would do better.

Strictly speaking, you can't buy refinement for Sponsored magic. Or, if you could, it would be item slots only, like Channeling or Ritual. Full fledged refinement is pretty dang limited.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »
The question is: what is your intent for the character?
I personally can't see someone being sponsored from high above and down below, that would not make much sense. Changing one of them into the other however could be one side recruiting a champion of the other.

If you just want a character that has both hellfire and soulfire benefits, you could create a new sponsor and have him grant the appropriate powers. I would set a combined sponsor to something along -7 to -8 Refresh, because a character with that is going to be extremely powerfull.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 05:40:20 PM »
I might have a hard time with someone who had both permanently, however I could see a character wavering between the two sides, being tempted by the one and bolstered by the other. That being said they'd have to be pretty important for either side to not just go looking for another full-time champion.

And yeah, agreed with Buscadera. -9 maybe -7.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »
I'm more interested in the story side of it which would justify it. Otherwise you're making a judgement call in a vacumn.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »
Strictly speaking, you can't buy refinement for Sponsored magic. Or, if you could, it would be item slots only, like Channeling or Ritual. Full fledged refinement is pretty dang limited.

I was talking if they had Evocation and Thaumaturgy as well. that would allow them to take Refinements for it.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 11:02:16 PM »
Technically, the answer is -9, as the discount granted by Sponsored Magic requires you to have Evocation and/or Channeling, whereas Sponsored Magic counts as Channeling and Ritual.  However, if you look at the logic behind the price discount, as described on YS287, it would certainly make sense (from a refresh perspective) to price it as -7.  That is, you are buying Soulfire-flavored Channeling and Ritual for -5, then adding the hellfire area of focus to both Channeling and Ritual for -1 each (total of -2 for Hellfire).

Given the dyametrically opposed nature of the two power sources, however, I would find it very hard to believe that the second power source aquired wouldn't simply "burn out" the other or some such effect.  Ie, a practicioner of Angelic magic who made a deal with a Devil would find their Angelic power source removed from their sheet, so to speak.  And even if you somehow convinced both the angels and the demons that you really were on their side, no spell should be able to be cast using both power sources.  In addition, it would be highly appropriate to use debt compels from one power source to interfere with uses of the other.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 05:10:32 AM »
Actually, IIRC, a certain Archangel uses both regularly. And that it's stated as the two powers are different side of the same coin.  Though RP-wise, it would be a very difficult to justify it.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 06:20:50 AM »
Harry seems to think of Soulfire as his own personal power source, unaligned with anything. Which is basically true. But it seems to have required divine intervention to get it, and it also seems to have supplanted his capacity to use Hellfire. 

One could explain that away as a Major Milestone reorganization of his powers: trading one for the other, and using an in-game shift in allegiance/mindset/etc. to justify it.

I wonder if a spellcaster had been granted Soulfire first, and then later picked up Hellfire, would Soulfire automatically go away? I'm not so sure it would, especially if the player had the Refresh to do both, and didn't do a complete moral reversal.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 02:15:15 PM »
I think it would be possible...for a while.  Eventually, however, the character would HAVE to make a decision as to which side they were joining.

Sitting on fences just makes you a pain in the ass...and no one wants that.  Ask Harry...:)
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.