Author Topic: Catch questions...  (Read 1077 times)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Catch questions...
« on: November 21, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
Nyarlathotep had one question on catches:
   Which brings up an interesting side question. Can you use feeding dependency as a Catch? I'm feeling too lazy to look it up.
  (I'm interested also but didn't want to derail the other thread.)

I have another:
 Can an Item of Power which grants recovery be its own catch?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Catch questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »
 I'd say absolutely on the item of power, as it means that not only can someone take away your toughness for an indeterminate length of time (until you get the item back), but its possible (depending on the item in question) that they themselves could be using that toughness during that time.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
I have another:
 Can an Item of Power which grants recovery be its own catch?

I'd wouldn't allow that one based mostly on my preferences as a GM. I'm usually reluctant to just take away something that the player obviously invested some value in and could be central to their character. Which is not to say that I won't, just that there should be a really good story reason and I don't think they come along often enough. I really don't know the rules though, so if they disagree with me...

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 02:49:31 AM »
I'd wouldn't allow that one based mostly on my preferences as a GM. I'm usually reluctant to just take away something that the player obviously invested some value in and could be central to their character. Which is not to say that I won't, just that there should be a really good story reason and I don't think they come along often enough. I really don't know the rules though, so if they disagree with me...

I think this is something of a moot point from a player perspective anyway. No matter what the players catch is, it is not likely to come up unless there's a story reason for it to. In Werewolf: The Forsaken people don't just randomly carry around silver bullets unless the story gives them a reason to have them. And the most obvious example, if a player plays a white court vampire, their catch is unlikely to EVER significantly come up in game, unless the story requires that someone deliberately tries to exploit it.
   PC's always get the long end of the stick in the "weak point" area. Not that that's a bad thing. A Catch SHOULD only be exploited when the story calls for it. Having a badass power that gets negated frequently and randomly isn't fun.
   but the weakness inherent to the Item of Power ability is that it isn't your power and can, in theory, be taken away. Now that doesn't mean they lose it forever (and if they do, they should also get the refresh back), but you can lose it.
   Hell, Micheal lost his item of power in the very first story he appeared in.

But thats kinda off topic from the thread. The question was whether its possible to use feeding dependency or Items of power as a Catch.
   Upon looking through the books I'd say no on feeding dependency. As all the vampires have it tied to their toughness/recovery and still have full catches.
   For Items of Power I'd say yes. Infact that is exactly what Nicodemus has. His Noose gives him Physical Immunity, with the catch that the Noose itself can harm him.