Author Topic: Swift Transition vs Worldwalker  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Swift Transition vs Worldwalker
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:04:41 AM »
What are the salient differences as you see them? Just having some trouble differentiating between the two, hoping you guys have a better grasp on it than I do:

Swift
  • Exactly that. Happens instantaneously
  • Limited use by others. Perhaps one other "passenger" in very close proximity (ie. physically touching)

Worldwalker
  • Takes a bit of time (?) if so, how much?
  • Useable by others close by - in AND out

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:06:27 AM by Arcteryx »

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
Re: Swift Transition vs Worldwalker
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 05:31:19 AM »
The general sense that I got from Swift Transition, was that its use was pretty much confined to the individual character with the power, essentially allowing them to enter the Nevernever pretty much at will.

There are some pretty important things about Swift Transition though...  First amongst them is that it doesn't specifically state that the character can transition back from the Nevernever...  Additionally, Swift Transition allows entry into the Nevernever, it doesn't give any information as to what's on the other side.  It could be a nice, peaceful garden.  Or the home of some rather voracious worms which want to eat the character.

World Walker allows the character to sense and if need be, open Rifts/gateways between the normal world and the Nevernever.  This allows for two-way travel (by the character and possibility others) between the two.  At the same time, the power also gives the character with it some information or idea of where in the Nevernever they are.

The downside is that many denizens of the Nevernever don't particularly like it when people open up holes to their abode, and since a Rift is two ways, they might decide to come through (or send something at least) to do something about it.

Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 05:59:16 AM »
If you can't come out of the Nevernever, -2 would seem pretty expensive for that power. I've been letting it be used both ways - in and out.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:07:45 AM »
If you can't come out of the Nevernever, -2 would seem pretty expensive for that power. I've been letting it be used both ways - in and out.

Swift Transition also has the modifier 'No Mortal Home' which could reduce the cost by 1, but I agree that it does seem expensive.  Especially since World Walker seems to provide virtually all the same benefits, and more to boot.

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:36:07 AM »
Both allow you to travel between "worlds" but the difference is flavor and the "extras".  The big difference is that worldwalker allows you to sense the veil between and sense rifts, and create them. It also helps you navigate it.  You *are* a world walker.  Swift Transition just allows allows *you* to travel between realms and gives you *no* bonuses to navigating the realms, or sensing rifts in the veil. 

World Walker: create portals, sense rifts, and +2 to navigating the Never Never.

Swift Transition: slip between realms. That's it. But you can be a lot more sneaky and stealthy.  (and I suspect that it's more for ghosts here than anything else)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:41:15 PM »
Swift Transition: slip between realms. That's it. But you can be a lot more sneaky and stealthy.  (and I suspect that it's more for ghosts here than anything else)

Thanx for that reminder about ghosts... :) So essentially I get that we mostly agree on the power's description. Having said that, seems that Swift Transition is kind of expensive at -2.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:11:51 AM »
Thanx for that reminder about ghosts... :) So essentially I get that we mostly agree on the power's description. Having said that, seems that Swift Transition is kind of expensive at -2.

Pretty much the only thing which makes sense to me, is for Swift Transition (-2) to be coupled with No Mortal Home (+1) for a net cost of -1, and have that applied to spirits which characters can summon or be plagued by.

Otherwise, World Walker or Thaumaturgy makes more sense to have, for the cost.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:56:45 AM »
Mostly agree.  But building a very stealth hitman type character, swift transition wouldn't create a portal or RIFT specifically that would be easy to detect. Making slipping in and out of places simple and very stealthy.  At least that's how *I* read it.  Just that distinction makes a difference, and could be worth that -2...
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:56 PM »
Mostly agree.  But building a very stealth hitman type character, swift transition wouldn't create a portal or RIFT specifically that would be easy to detect. Making slipping in and out of places simple and very stealthy.  At least that's how *I* read it.  Just that distinction makes a difference, and could be worth that -2...

That's the angle I decided to use to rationalize it for me. That its just way too abusable at -1. But at -2 I decided that they should have the same benefits as the Lore & Survival bonuses as well. The difference is this one is useable only by self, altho I did tweak it to say someone else in very close proximity (i.e. physically touching and willing)