Author Topic: questions about were-creatures  (Read 3014 times)

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
questions about were-creatures
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »
I have to introduce a new character, and he wants to play a were-wolf.  Having ran a few games I have to say I am underwhelmed by were-creatures in general.  How to were-creatures progress?  Can they get more than 2 inhuman traits, can they go to supernatural level in those powers, or is it something completely different?
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: questions about were-creatures
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »
I think a were-character is limited only by the Refresh points available to spend on powers. Theoretically a were-character could get up to Mythic levels of Toughness/Speed/Recovery.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
I see were-creatures as mortals with a supernatural ace up their sleeves. So if a werewolf has all the normal abilities for his type, he might advance instead as a mortal might, gathering new stunts or additional refresh. They can have more than two Inhuman Traits or advance them up to Supernatural, but I envision were-creatures as enhancing their mortal traits rather than beef up their supernatural forms.

As to them being underwhelming, they can do things that mortals simply can't and survive much longer in a fight with monsters. I think that's worth something.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
In the game I run at Chest Deep, we have among the players a White Court Vampire, Wizard of the White Council, a mortal dedicated completely to murdering the hell out of whatever gets in his way, and a Were-bear.

The bear is positively the scariest mother in the party. He is an absolute monster when a fight breaks out. I would shudder to think of him getting more than Inhuman Strength and Toughness.

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »
The bear is positively the scariest mother in the party. He is an absolute monster when a fight breaks out. I would shudder to think of him getting more than Inhuman Strength and Toughness.

QFT.

Beast Shape is by far the best -1 power in the game. The character gets to have a totally functional knowledge / social character, and then when the fighting starts, gets to completely reorganize their skill list for optimal buttkicking, doing things like bringing fists and might up to the cap, and dropping their Lore and Rapport on the sheet. The ability to take strength, claws and toughness powers is just the awesome icing on this awesome cake.

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »
I have seen a werewolf with inhuman strength and speed be fairly good, but the character i am currently integrating into the game wants to have inhuman speed and toughness.  He has very little offense, and I am concerned about his ability to maintain a good character growth compared to my 2 wizards and the Summer Knight that are the other players.  My wizards have managed to deal damage on a level I did not think possible at character creation, and the Summer Knight is really beefy.  I am thinking about allowing were-creatures to improve their spell to give them all 4 inhuman traits, but after that they will need to improve other areas.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
I am not really aware that shapechangers are limited to only two powers.  Unless the limitation is by refresh.  To me this allows for quite a bit of improvement making them hell on wheels in a fight. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Custos

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »
That was my understanding, that refresh and thematics were the only limitations. Hell, I'm kicking around the idea of a were-dragon now and breathing fire is a must.

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:33 PM »
Text from the Were-form template, YS 82-83.
Options: The character may take up to two of these abilities—Inhuman Recovery [–2] (page 185), Inhuman Speed [–2] (page 178), Inhuman Strength [–2] (page 183), or Inhuman Toughness [–2] (page 185)—so long as those abilities are in sync with the animal form he assumes. Similarly, abilities may be taken from the Creature Feature category (page 162) or the Minor Ability category (page 169) if they can be shown to be a part of the creature’s natural advantages.

I think that Fred and the gang would say that if you want to exceed those restrictions, go ahead if you think it'll be good for you game.  I don't think they necessarily meant those restrictions to include what you could buy as you advance, but I'm not sure.

I'd probably stick with those restrictions at character creation, provided I'm making a character at submerged or below.

Inhuman Speed, Inhuman Toughness and Claws, combined, (and this really is the key bit) with an animal form skill set that puts Fists, Athletics, and Endurance at Great or better makes for a pretty darn respectable fighter.  At least, that's been the experience of our group.

Assuming your were-PC has Superb Athletics, Endurance of at least Good, Inhuman speed and Inhuman toughness, he will be able typically dodge a 6 shift attack, and or absorb a 12 shift hit without taking consequences.  That's pretty impressive defenses, though I could see such a character having a little trouble on offense.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 10:52:46 PM »
Also, don't discount having a deep slush fund of Fate Points to throw out there. If you have a group that focuses some synergy together with good maneuvers and a character with a few good aspects, you can seriously crank out levels of badassery without investing a whole lot of refresh.

And, seeing as you have it left in Fate Points, you have flexibility. A situational +2 in whatever is going on can be huge. Whereas a true combat monster might be lacking in any number of areas, a well of Fate Points can have you topping decent in several different areas for minimal investment.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
Of note given recent events I'd say you're totally justified in giving weres more than only two abilities as they grow. Aftermath spoilers
(click to show/hide)
and he's definitely stated with speed and strength originally.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 07:40:26 AM »
Really, the only requirements for theriomorphs is that they have the powers of Beast Change, Echoes of the Beast, both tying to an applicable animal form, Human Form, and a minimum of 2 points in some Inhuman or better skill(s) from the Speed/Strength/Toughness category, or the Minor Talent or Creature Feature categories.  Again, with the requirement that any powers taken have to be applicable to the 'animal' form.  As such, regardless of the Refresh level of the game, a 'weresloth; ( a 3-toed sloth being one of the slowest moving mammals) is not going to have Inhuman/Supernatural/Mythic Speed.  Nor would a 'wereslug' with the Claws power really work, since slugs lack teeth or other rigid/chitinous deposits.

Now for someone playing a 'werewolf' the wolf-form could progress as the player acquires Refresh, going from an animal which resembles Canis lupus to something which has a greater resemblance to the extinct Canis dirus, more commonly known as the Dire Wolf.  What could be interesting for those playing ursine were-forms, would be to start playing a were (black) bear and gradually grow as Refresh is earned/spent to playing a were version of the Arctodus simus giant bear.  This would make the power Hulking Size applicable, at least for the animal form.

Just as long as the powers chosen fit with the selected animal form, advancing the powers up the relevant tracks should be fine.
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 05:24:04 PM »
Ooh, a were-squid would have wicked claws. The beaks on those things are made of some of the hardest known organic substances.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 01:44:35 AM »
Ooh, a were-squid would have wicked claws. The beaks on those things are made of some of the hardest known organic substances.
  Well, that and squid also have claws. In their suckers.