Author Topic: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here  (Read 140641 times)

Offline Crawker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
2008 Seattle Book Signing part 3
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
Notes:
-I can't make out animal name around 1:36, after turkey and rabbit. can someone check? Thanks Derek
-Can someone check I got Master Oyada's name right?

Jim: Yes sir, back there.

(Continued from part 2 about inspirations for Codex)

Audience: Have you gone back and gloated?

Jim: Oh, you know, I don't even remember who I was having an argument with now!
{audience laughs}
Jim: I've had so many computers blown out on me no! But I did go back and tell him "I'm not gonna share this with you, because this is actually turning into a good book and I'm gonna go ahead and write it", none of this was published yet, so he was just like "Yeah, that just means you lost!" And so yeah, I'm perfectly willing to admit now, yeah I lost! No, I don't have to much pride to do that. Yes?

Audience: I was just wondering, just how big and ferocious is your dog really?

Jim: He's extremely ferocious. He's 25lb. He's a bichon frise.
{audience laughs}
Jim: Shhh! He doesn't know that! Don't anybody tell him! He's sure he's a rottweiler! He grew up when we were living in Pennsylvania, like out in Amish country Pennsylvania when at the grocery store there were these horses and carts parked in spaces, literally. And where you couldn't go to Pizza Hut on Monday night because that was Mennonite night, and the Mennonites all came in and had pizza on Monday night. And you couldn't trust those shifty Mennonites! They used cars! There's something wierd about those people! But, that's where we were living, and we had all kinds of wildlife around the house, we had wild turkeys that would cross our property every morning, and the dog would chase them and they'd flee, and we had rabbits, and the dog would chase them and they'd flee, we have groundhogs and the dog would chase them and they'd look at one another and go "You know, we outweigh two of these things, just one of us, are we gonna have to run away?" {Jim mimes flicking through a book} "Well, yeah, according to the union rules...so yeah we have to flee." and they'd flee, and the dog became convinced that he was the ultimate macho. So he's 25lb, a fluffy french dog. But quite ferocious, and actually an excellent watchdog. You know there's a difference between a watchdog and a guard dog. A watchdog tells you what's going on, a guard dog tells you what's going on and then does something about it. My dog tells me what's going on, he says "Right, you're the guard dog, go! I'll be right here behind ya boss." I have no doubt he'd be crouched six inches behind my legs, ferociously unleashing his sonic initiative. So that's how big and ferocious my dog is. Yes?

Audience: Are any of your characters, do any of them have elements of people you know?

Jim: No, I'd have to be crazy to answer that question yes! Bits and pieces. Most of my female characters have got my wife in them, because I've been around her too long and I don't see how anybody else could exist, so... Really, I don't hang out with other people, it's just me and her most of the time, and...the boy.
{audience laughs}
Jim: What? Did you ever raise- OK, did anybody else here have a three year old that got kicked out of their school? For inciting a riot?
{laughter and clapping}
Jim: Yeah, my kid incited a riot at the age of three. Some kind of nap time rebellion. Everyone refused to go to sleep. "No! I am Spartacus!"
{more laughter}
Jim: No, I had to deal with him. Now he's 6'2" you know, so... But as far as people I know, I never grab anybody and just say "Here". Except for a character in White Night-
{Jim holds up book}
Jim: Called Anna Ash, who is there because I auctioned off that character, I was at a convention and I auctioned off a horrible death! It was at the Buffy convention, and I auctioned off a horrible death and they ran up the bidding on it, Julie Caitlin Brown was the auction person, and she ran up the bid on it. And so Anna wound up giving $3000 to a children's cancer foundation, and so she gets a horrible death in my book! So that's based on somebody I really do actually know. Harry Dresden is kind of losely based on my friend Charlie, who's 6'9", British, and Charlie and I, Charlie was an extremely comforting person to have with you in a dark alley. He and I hit a couple of dark alleys occasionally in the days of my foolishness, which are from about 1971 until now-
{audience laughs}
Jim: But back when I was in college being foolish, I had different things to be foolish about then. So Charlie would be with me, he's a very comforting person to have with you in a dark alley, 6'9". You know, skinny, glowering, very intense personality guy. And with the British accent he got all the girls too. He would just collect phone numbers, falling out of his pockets. But anyway, yeah, I don't really base them too much on anybody. I take that back. Shiro in the books, he's one of the Knights of the Cross, I guess maybe you've read that book.

Audience: Yeah!

Jim: Sometimes I forget! You know while you're all here I'm just talking. But he was actually based on a guy who opened a martial arts school in my town, and who was my teacher's teacher. So he was based part on my teacher, who was actually, I knew he was from Japan, I knew he was from a samuri family, that's all I knew. I didn't know he was from a big samuri family until I read an article about his $12 million full Shinto wedding on the roof of a building in New York.
{murmers of approvement, a whoop}
Jim: So like, golly! I didn't realise that! But yeah, he was the one who was a 6th degree, he was a national college champion of Aikido in Japan, he was a 6th degree blackbelt in a martial art he was studying which was called Ryu Kempo, I'd seen him catch arrows! Not arrows that were flying by like here;
{indicates past himself}
Jim: Arrows that were flying by like here.
{indicates towards his chest}
Jim: Pointy ones!
{laughter}
Jim: I'd seen him catch them, they shot three of them at him and he had to catch the blue one to break the red one, and he didn't know which stripe was coming at him until it was in sight, they didn't tell him.
{gasp}
Jim: Yeah. He was that kind of martial artist. And I remember he was teaching in a basic Ju-Jitsu class that I'd been to, and he says:
{Jim puts on bad Japanese accent}
"Though, really I feel I-" Because it's the Japanese accent, I'm not trying to insult anybody, it's just the way that in my head I remember him. " Really I feel I am not really very good at hand to hand martial arts, I think I'm begining to touch potential, but really I feel I am nowhere close to what I will one day be. However I do feel that I have a competent basic understanding of the sword."
{Jim and audience laughs}
Jim: OK! And then his teacher was this old guy from Okinawa who had learned martial arts in the power vacuum between the fall of the Japanese and before the Americans got there in WWII. The Yakuza came in to fill the power vacuum, they came in and they killed this kid's dad, and then they said "You're gonna pay us x amount of money by this time next month or we're gonna kill you." And the kid's family didn't have it, so he went to these two Chinese monks that were living up a mountain when the Japanese invaded, and they had taken shelter in Okinawa, and it hadn't worked out so well. And they were living in a cave up in a mountain, and the kid went up there and begged them to teach him to fight so that he could protect himself and his family. And they told him no, go away, and they started asking him about it, and they found out that actually the kid was a descendent of the last king of Okinawa, Shautai, and they're like "Oh my gosh, this kid's from a divine bloodline, we have to help him!" So they beat him unconcious every day for a month!
{laughter}
Jim: Which, you know, that was the level of martial arts they were operating at, they were teaching serious stuff. And the Yakuza sent an assassin to kill the kid, and the kid killed him, and left his body hanging over the fence in the front yard. The next week the Yakuza sent another assassin, who also got left over the fence, and so did the two that came after that! Then the Yakuza went to the kid and said "We would like you to work for us!"
{audience laughs}
Jim: And the kid said "No, I just want you to stay off my street." and the Yakuza said "Much better business!"
{more laughter}
Jim: It's a true story, and eventually he wound up moving to Independence, Missouri and I ask one of his students "Why does a guy like that wind up in Independence Missouri?" And the student says "Because he wants to."
{audience laughs}
Jim: Ahh! Yes. And that was Master Oyada, and between my teacher Shiro, and Master Oyada they formed Shiro in the books. Actually I ran into Master Oyada at the grocery store the other day, he was getting a perscription. He's this cheerful little Okinawa guy, he's about 5'2", big old broad shoulders, got a big old pot belly, he had a stogie in one hand and was there getting some medicine for something. But a nice guy. A really nice guy. All the really, really extremely... just the most deaadly skilled people I've ever met are the nicest people. You know, or so they seem to be to me, in my terror.
{more laughter}
Jim: But really, when you run into places like that, where the people are serious, they know they're confident, they know what they're doing, they often treat one another very well, they're very polite to one another because you never know when the little 5' nothing blond woman is gonna throw you through a wall! You know, maybe she can do that! So, long answered question, there you go, you've had my martial arts history in there, so.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:52:53 PM by Crawker »

Offline Crawker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
2008 Seattle Book Signing part 4
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2011, 01:16:08 PM »
Notes:
-The question where the guy asks about Bob, he mumbles the whole first sentence, I can't really hear it. Anyone? Ta again Derek
-And the bit about the number of people in Laurell Hamilton's house, eight, eighteen or eighty?

Jim: What else, yes?

Audience: So is Mouse actually a real breed or just a created breed?

Jim: No, he's not a created breed, he's a real breed. He's a Caucasian.
{audience laughs}
Jim: No, meaning he's a Cacuasian mountain dog. Actually, they were bred from Tibetan mastiffs by the Russians during the Soviet government. Really, if you get one, they're huge, they're extremely aggressive and they're guys that roll along the lines of {puts on gruff voice} "There's somebody, let me go knock them down!"
{laughter}
Jim: You know, they're not necessarily gonna rip you apart and kill you, but they're happy to come up and knock you down and hold you right there, like "Show me your ID!".
{more laughter}
Jim: Yeah, so that's what they do. But they're just huge, and incredibly powerful and I was like "Ooh! That would be really cool for Harry to have!" His life is getting increasingly dangerous, and he really needs to be able to go home, and sleep. So that was one of those things that I wound up giving him. Plus I just realised how great it was, I hadn't had a dog in the family in years and years, when we moved to Pennsylvania we promised to get a dog. You've moved away from all your friends and everything, but you have a dog! It was like great! It was a fantastic idea! And Shannon was like "I don't care what kind of dog we get so long as it's outdoors all the time", and so on and so forth, "it doesn't need to be in the house" so I was like we'll get an outdoor dog, it'll be alright around here, it's not gonna cause any trouble, I researched all these outdoor, high energy breeds, and then my stepmother-in-law got lime disease from a tick from a dog, and Shannon got to see how horrible that was, and she said "I want a dog that's gonna be inside. All the time."
{audience laughs}
Jim: "I want a dog that won't smell, that won't shed, and if a tick gets on it we'll be able to see instantly." And I'm like "OK, slightly different search parameters..." But I went and looked! And it turns out there was a couple of dogs we could get and one of them was a bichon frise. And we got a bichon frise which the boy named 'Frostbite Doomreaver McBane'.
{more laughter}
Jim: He was like nine, so Frost is my dog, my 25lb killer. Yes?

Audience:
You like a lot of sci-fi stuff or fantasy whatever-

Jim:
Yes, I am a nerd.
{audience laughs}
Jim: Goes with the territory.

Audience:
Nothing to be ashamed of! So, if you could cross over the Dresden Files with anything-

Jim {instantly}:  Spiderman.
{audience laughs}
Jim: which is why I hope that the comic book thing goes through with the Dabel Brothers, they're being distributed by Marvel now, and if there was an actual Dresden comic book there literally would exist the outside chance of the Spiderman-Harry Dresden crossover.
{crosses fingers, audience laughs and cheers}
Jim: I've also been approached by somebody who's putting together a Kolchak the Night Stalker anthology of short stories-
{audience oohs}
Jim: and wanted me to do a Kolchak-Harry Dresden crossover. Yeah, I don't know if I have time to do it, it's the time issue that's really starting to get to me now, which is a bizzare problem to have. It's a good problem, but very strange! You know, people want you to be around. Pfft, maybe they should've married me then.
{audience laughs}
Jim: I joke, but I called my wife like 4 times today so... Yes sir?

Audience:
How does Harry unscroll in your head? You're going back tonight to write, do you resume a dialogue with Harry?

Jim: No, I mean, I'm a little bit more cold-blooded and mercenary about the actual process of the craft when I go back. I've got a story to get told, and Harry's gonna have to do it.
{audience laughs}
Jim: Which is probably why he gets bludgeoned so often!
{more laughter}
Jim: We're at the first chapter of the next book, and he's already had his nose broken, and he's got whiplash.
{audience awws}
Jim: Big old bruises under his eyes, he looks like a racoon. So anyway, I'll just go back and I'll sit down, and I'll turn on some movie that I've seen a million times, so it won't distract me, but it's background stuff I'm familiar with, and then I'll start writing and eventually, sometimes I just have a bad writing night where I just plug along for six hours and I just wind up with three or four pages to show for it, and it's all kinda cruddy. Or at least it seems to be that way to me at the time. But then I'll go back and I'll read it later and go oh, that was fine. And sometimes I'll sit down, and it'll just take off, and I'll look up, and it'll be five in the morning, and I've gotten 22 pages written that night, and everything is wonderful. So I don't know, it depends on how much sleep I've had, and my attitude going in, and whether or not there's an editor with an axe out there breathing down my neck to get it finished. 'Cause that's a motivating factor! Yes sir?

Audience:
Speaking of Bob. Where do you get you're inspiration for Bob? Is Bob like Dresden's Yin and Yang? dark side-light side?

Jim:
Bob's an inside joke between me and my writing teacher.
{audience laughs}
Jim: I was putting it together and I told her, "Look, I'm gonna give Dresden this advisor figure, who he's gonna get together with to talk with about magic. And that way instead of just infodumping everything the reader needs to know about magic constantly through big paragraphs, I'll have bob the skull there, and Harry can talk about it with Bob, and the reader can get the information that way." and she says "Ok fine, you can do it that way so long as you don't make the character a talking head."
{audience laughs, Jim raises a finger for quiet}
Jim: Which is writing lingo for a character who comes on, spouts information and then vanishes again, you see them a lot in fifties science fiction movies, "As you know Bob, the african spider monkey"
{audience laughs again}
Jim: But if the guy knew that you wouldn't be telling him about it! It's bad writing. And "As you know, Bob" is the phrase that goes along with it, that was always the phrase that gets associated with it, so I wrote a literal talking head named Bob, just to tweak my writing teacher's nose. That's where Bob came from.
{more laughter}
Jim: I wish it was more complicated than that, I really do, I wish I had some sort of dark, I could reference proofs or something and say something cool, but no, bad joke. Yes?

Audience: You created a lot of characters surrounding Harry in the universe, and I think you've done a better job than most rationing them throughout the books.

Jim: Yeah, they can only show up a certain amount of time, and I always have a ratio planned out of how much you can be there as, you know, as a certain role in the book.

Audience: Thank you!

Jim: Oh! {looks suprised then grins} You're welcome!

Audience: Unlike Laurell Hamilton, who winds up having eighty people living in a house!

Jim: Yeah, I hate it when you see those episodes where they would kind of trot somebody across the stage; "look, I'm also in the opening credits so I'm also participating in this episode! Bye!" And that would be all you saw of them, I just hated that when you saw that. Although now I know a bit more about the business, I understand that maybe that was the week the actor had to be in rehab or something.
{audience laughs}
Jim: There's all kinds of things that can influence it that're just silly. But yeah, I try and keep that ratio moving, I'm itching for some more denarians here, we haven't seen them in too long, so...

Audience member: Here here!

Jim:
Thank you. I'm kinda proud of those guys, I can't think of anybody who I ripped them off from.
{audience laughs}
Jim: Well really! I think I come up with these wonderful ideas, I go "Ooh! This is an original, brilliant, wonderful idea! I thought of this!" and two years later I'll be on Boomerang late at night {mimes flicking through channels on remote} and I'll be like "Awww... I stole that from Johnny Quest..."
{laughter, cheers}
Jim: Darn it! You know, the talking skull with the lights and everything? The opening segment of Scooby Doo. Also, third act of the last unicorn.
{audience laughs}
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:55:25 PM by Crawker »

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
Ok, I've added Jim's recent posts.  I took the liberty of starting with your links, and tweaking them to what I wanted to put in the compilation.  I'll summarize the tweaked additions within my quote of your post, Bastian.

Jim has had a recent posting spree (and before anyone asks I am making Jim's posts sound like philosophical texts for my own amusement).

Harry didn't bluff Mavra when threatening to use necromancy on her.
 8)Comment on the possibility that Lasciel translated the Word of Kemmler w/o Harry's knowledge
Shagnasty can beat the Ick quite handily
"Stoker was killed for being delicious"
More on Stroker's death and the Black Court's (then) ignorance that he was a WCV cat's paw
Gard's status compared to "Captain Jack"
"Time runs at varying speeds in the Nevernever, too.  Remember that there was a reason she was called "LaFey."  Ten minutes in some portion of the Nevernever where time runs at 10,000:1 or something could add up." :P

Oh, my I had already read the "Stoker being killed because he was delicious" WoJ, but hadn't realized it was a direct response to my WoJ guru post.

P.S.  I know I didn't get to this immediately, but the compilation is a comparatively new animal (that took me a little while to make), and having people like Bastian post them here helps this thread serve as a "what's new in WoJ," running update that everyone can contribute to and make use of, and I intend to treat the compilation as a more long term, (and thus proally not as quickly responsive to new material) work.  

Keep em coming, and don't fret, I'll see them.  Usually right away, even if I don't react to them right away.  Either way, they will be added as necessary to the compilation.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 Buzzy Multimedia Interview
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
Edit:  Woops!  Nothing to see here.

Edit2:  I am however starting the transfer of these transcripts to the WoJ section (I was using the quote function to get the original transcribers code, and accidentally hit save within this topic instead of the new one in the WoJ section)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:31:09 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
By the way, as an example of how big a deal these transcriptions are, and how great it is that people are taking their time to do them I want to point out that since LML did her transcriptions of the unnamed 2008 signing, the video's have been deleted from youtube and her transcripts are the only recordings I know of.

P.S.  If I ever meet one of you guys at a signing or con, I intend to buy you a beer because I really appreciate the work you do, and because then I can post at the bottom of your transcription, "Closed Captioning Sponsored by Serack"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:15:40 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Crawker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Notes:
-Video link
-I can't hear the place the woman asking the first question says before New York, can anyone make it out? (around 2:40 in video)
-I also can't hear what Paul Blackthorne had done in the second question (around 4:20)
-The video ends before the second question gets anywhere, so you might want to just cut the last bit

Host: Hi, welcome everybody!
{audience cheers}
Host: Welcome, to the second ever New York Comic Con which clearly is getting bigger and better, fantastic turnout, thank you so much for coming. My name's Jay Pow, I'm the general manager of the Sci Fi channel, based here in New York.
{audience claps}
Host: It's great fun to be in our home town as opposed to San Diego, which is on the other side of the country
{audience cheers}

Audience member: New York!

Host: We've got a great treat in store for you tonight, we're gonna give you a sneak preview of Sundays episodes of Dresden Files and Battlestar Galactica
{more cheers}
Host: You'll see them before anybody else, including me, I've not seen these two episodes so I'm looking forward to them as well. But before we kick off with that we've got fifteen minutes in which to introduce you to two new talent, new stars at Sci Fi; Paul Blackthorne
{loud cheers from audience, Paul nods}
Host: A talented actor I think we've seen on Sci Fi for a very long time
{applause}

Audience Member: We love you Paul!

Host: Dresden Files is the best new edition to our schedule of shows I think in the last five years. We're thrilled. And while Paul Blackthorne's character himself, he doesn't do potions, he doesn't do parties, but he does do Comic Con conventions.
{cheers from audience}
Host: And let me remind you, we would not be here without Jim Butcher!
{very loud cheers from audience}
Host: Jim started us off in 2000 with an amazing series of books; he's bringing out number 9 of this series in April, called White Night. He's just told me that he's mapped out 20 books, so that bodes incredibly well for Jim and the book series, and actually for our TV show as well, so welcome to you both and I'm going to take some questions from you guys for about 10 or 15 minutes, so go ahead:
{host gestures at audience}
Host: I'll pick someone close to the mic I hope. Oh yes actually if you could go out to the middle there's a mic just in the middle there, if you can just repeat the question.

Audience member:
My name is Connie Coleman and I am now the biggest Dresden Files fan in {see notes} and maybe New York.
{a few laughs from audience}
Audience member: I've just read two of the books,it took me two days. And I just wanted to know, how you feel about how they adapted it for TV, and Mr Blackthorne, Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, that's a great name, have you read the books and were you familiar with the material beforehand?

{Paul gestures to Jim}

Paul: Your question?

Jim: How I feel about it? You guys are getting to see the show tonight, I'm not even getting to see this episode yet! I can't even watch it on Sunday because my hotel doesn't have Sci Fi, I'm gonna have to wait and watch it on cable on Monday when I go back home! Which I'm disappointed about because I'm really enjoying the show. I like it a lot.

Paul: What was the question again, I'm sorry. Have I read the books, yes, yes I had all these wonderful ideas of reading all the books when I got the part, but of course I had no time to read them before doing the first pilot movie shot way back when. But I was able to read Storm Front after that, which of course I very much enjoyed, so. And then I didn't get a chance to read any other books because these scripts started coming in! So I figured I ought to concentrate on those. So yeah, Storm Front is the only one I've read. The first story. Next?

Audience member:
Well Paul, I have read online that you had done {see notes} and {see notes} and I'm also quite priveleged I totally think that's awesome. And I -

End of video
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:05:04 AM by Crawker »

Offline Crawker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Suvudu interview with Jim Butcher, NYCC 2010
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »
Suduvu interview video
Transcription by Crawker

Notes:
-Video link

Jim: Hi I'm Jim Butcher, I'm the author of The Dresden Files.

Interviewer: Now The Dresden Files, for those that aren't familiar is?

Jim: The Dresden Files is a series of books about Harry Dresden, He's a private investigator in Chicago who also happens to be the only professional wizard in the phonebook. Dresden gets involved in all the cases the police run into where there's something wierd going on that they're not set up to handle on their own. So when there's a vampire attack, when a fairy swoops down and abducts a child it's Dresden who's the one that gets called to look into it.

Interviewer: I know with a series of books like yours it's got a complicated chronology and back characters and a whole universe. What are the challenges of working with that from book to book?

Jim: I think that the main challenge is the fact that the readers know it so much better than I do. By the time I've finished a book, I've written maybe seven or eight slightly different versions of the same book and not only that but there's also all the versions I could've written in my head and didn't, and they're all sort of bumping off one another in my brain, but the reader only gets the final one. So they know. Fortunately readers these days make wikipedias so I can go to the Dresden Files wiki and look things up now, so I can make sure to get the details right.

Interviewer: Now I understand you've got a new book coming out, a collection. Is that right?

Jim: Yes, October 26th, the new book is called Side Jobs, it's a collection of the short stories that I've written for The Dresden Files over the years. It ranges from my very first Dresden Files piece that I ever wrote, which was a short story which is fairly awful, to all the different short stories that I wrote for various different anthologies. A lot of readers couldn't afford to go out and buy eight or nine different anthologies so I said "Hey I'll try and get all my short stories together in one book." and not only that, at the very end it contains the novella Aftermath, it's set about 45 minutes after the end of Changes, it's from Murphy's point of view and you kinda get to see some of the fallout of what's happened after the last novel.

Interviewer: Now I found a couple of people on twitter asking, because I mentioned I was interviewing you, they wanted to know whether you'd ever considered writing about any of the other secondary characters, maybe giving them their own stories, their own novels, set in the same Dresdenverse but not...

Jim: The only time I've done other characters has been in the short stories, I think that the main novels that we're on are definately gonna be from Dresden's point of view. I think it's possible that in the future, I don't know maybe I'll have to pay off gambling debts or something, and want to go back to The Dresden Files after I'm done and be able to write the stories from the other people that were living at the same time Dresden was doing his thing. I know there's all these stories in my head about what these other characters are actually going through, as opposed to what Dresden thinks they're going through, so it's possible we could do something like that.

Interviewer: Now I also know that The Dresden Files has been sort of merging into other forms of media, there's a roleplaying game that Fred Hicks worked on is this right?

Jim: Yes, yes.

Interviewer: Have you had much involvement with that or...?

Jim: My involvement with The Dresden Files roleplaying game was largely sitting down and talking to folks about the Dresden files universe, it was reading through all the stuff that they'd read, and they were so into it, some of them were going, they were drawing conclusions and I had to tell 'em "You can't put that in the book, it won't come out in the novels until book fourteen! Don't blow it for me!" But they worked very, very hard on it I don't think I've ever seen something that as many people put so much love into creating. And the book's just gorgeous too, it's far prettier than the Dungeons and Dragons rulebook so I've got the prettiest book.
{interviewer laughs}

Interviewer: Well what is it like to be a writer and to know other people are going to go traipsing around the world that you created?

Jim: More power to 'em, have a good time guys. Actually I've dropped in on a couple of groups in the Kans City area who were playing the game, there was one game set in Prague and another set in Kans City, and they seemed to be having a good time, and that's the point. The whole point of writing the novels to begin with is for folks to enjoy and have a good time with, so they're gonna go playing around the story world? OK have fun! That's awesome!

Interviewer: So did you ever see yourself at the beginning of your career getting to a point where you would have to issue a book collecting all of your short stories? Did you ever see yourself doing that?

Jim: No... no, no I never really... I've been fairly mystified by my success. But I like to think that I've been very fortunately stupid in a couple of places and in a lot of other places just worked hard enough to make things work. But I've been very fortunate and I've been very fortunate to have such a great crowd of readers. They're like cultists or maybe drug pushers, that's what I always get. "He's the high priest of Dresden in our neighbourhood", or "Oh yeah, I gave her the first 3 books for free" So OK we've got cult drug dealers. Thank you guys.

Interviewer: Well do you have anything else you want to say to your readers?

Jim: I know a lot of people that say "Hey Jim, what's with the cliffhanger at the end of Changes?" And I can only say to you; a cliffhanger is what you don't know what happened. Changes was: Dresden sets out to do anything to save his daughter even if it means getting killed and he did. The end. But not the end of the story, so we'll keep going with Harry's story in book thirteen, Ghost Story.

Interviewer: Thanks very much!

Jim: Thank you.

End of interview
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:16:54 PM by Crawker »

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Suvudu interview with Jim Butcher, NYCC 2010
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2011, 03:49:43 AM »
Keep up the good work guys.  Crawker, I have your latest 2 already transferred to the WoJ section.

Man, I need to get an update summary out on the compilation...
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Crawker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Suvudu interview with Jim Butcher, NYCC 2010
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
Keep up the good work guys.  Crawker, I have your latest 2 already transferred to the WoJ section.

Man, I need to get an update summary out on the compilation...
Awesome. I've got another one coming. (a relatively easy one to do, but hey, it's on the list!)

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
One more thing. 

I've got a rather standardized header for each transcription post, and since you are already adding links to the source near the top, could you do it in the format I am using, otherwise I will be doing a bit more editing when I do the transfer.

The format:
Bolded title with embeaded link
Transcription by {url=link to your profile}transcriber's forum name{/url}

The code for the header to the Suduvu transcript:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://suvudu.com/2010/10/nycc-video-interview-with-jim-butcher-author-the-dresden-files.html][b]Suduvu interview[/b][/url] video
Transcription by [url=http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?action=profile;u=28041]Crawker[/url]

The code for the bolded title with an embeaded link can be snatched from a quote of the list of links in the OP if you would rather not generate it yourself, and the link to your profile can be snagged from your name above your avatar beside any post you've made. 

I don't mind doing this myself, (Especially now that I'm transfering posts one at a time as they come, and not dozens at once like when I first did the transfer) but since you are already providing the link, I thought I'd mention it.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Crawker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
I can handle that.
The one I'm doing now, the absent willow written one is done, but I'm not going to put it up yet, I'm waiting for an email from them regarding copyright (as I am basically lifting their interview and reformatting it). I'll put it up when I get the OK and standardise the header appropriately.

BTW Do you want me to leave out the notes in future? I put them there when I need someone to check something, but not everything gets checked so...

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2011, 02:14:56 PM »
I can handle that.
The one I'm doing now, the absent willow written one is done, but I'm not going to put it up yet, I'm waiting for an email from them regarding copyright (as I am basically lifting their interview and reformatting it). I'll put it up when I get the OK and standardise the header appropriately.

BTW Do you want me to leave out the notes in future? I put them there when I need someone to check something, but not everything gets checked so...

I like that they encourage people to help out.  This is very much a group project since there is way too much material for one person to do on a voluntary basis.

I suppose I should go back and contact the sources for most of these and check with them like you are...
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Crawker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »
I like that they encourage people to help out.  This is very much a group project since there is way too much material for one person to do on a voluntary basis.

I suppose I should go back and contact the sources for most of these and check with them like you are...
Most of them are just videos on youtube so it probably doesn't matter. This one I was a bit wary about is all, as it's a written one with a copyright glaring right at me at the bottom of the page.

Offline Crawker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Absent Willow Review Interview 2010
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
OK I got permission to put the reformatted absent willow interview here:

Absent Willow Review Interview with Jim Butcher
Transcription by Crawker

Notes:
-I reformatted this from an interview on Absent Willow Review with permission, the copyright is held by them.

Forward by interviewer:
We like to say a few words about the author we are interviewing but in this instance nothing we can say would top Jim’s own self-written bio.  To top it of we have to also give Jim the “Best Advice Award” that we’ve seen in a long time.  After your done laughing you realize it makes perfect sense.

“There is an enormous weedout factor for wannabe writers. The good news is that you aren’t competing with every published schmoe out there. You’re only up against the rest of the wannabes, and it’s like the old axiom about being chased by a grizzly bear. You don’t have to run faster than the bear to get away. You just have to run faster than the guy next to you.”

- Jim Butcher from http://www.jim-butcher.com/jim/

Interviewer: What first inspired you to write?

Jim: I first considered it when Margaret Weis did an appearance at my high school library. She described her own career, and I thought it sounded pretty great. I’d always been a fan of fantasy and science fiction. While I loved the genre, as I moved on into college, I just couldn’t find enough of the kinds of stories I really wanted to read. So I set out to write them. Several terrible novels later, genius that I am, I thought, “Hey, maybe I should learn something about writing.” I wound up at the University of Oklahoma’s School of Professional Writing, which was where I originally wrote the first book of the Dresden Files as a class project.

Interviewer: What inspires you now?

Jim: I like to eat! In my house! But seriously—I’m a professional writer now. This is my job, how I take care of my family. Though if you mean what inspires me artistically, it can be almost anything. Any time something evokes a lot of emotion in me, I try to stop and take a look at it, and figure out what about that person or place or situation got to me. I try to find ways to convey those same emotions to the reader, to make my stories feel as genuine and as real as I can—even if they’re filled with fantastic, imaginary things.

Interviewer: What advice would you give to a new writer?

Jim: WRITE. WRITE A LOT. And don’t stop until you’re published. That’s really the only way to become a writer—but if you want to pick up some of the story craft I learned from Debbie Chester, you can go to jimbutcher.livejournal.com. I’ve written a number of articles on various aspects of storytelling. Maybe something you read there will help you cut some time off that long, lonely grind from novice to published professional.

Interviewer: You have written one Spider Man book. Was it fun to write a story with a super hero as the main character? Do you plan on writing any more super hero stories?

Jim: Oh, it was intensely fun to write Spider-Man! I mean, it was SPIDER-MAN! My favorite superhero ever! While I don’t see myself doing any more novelizations of the superheroes at Marvel or DC or from other publishers, I’m not dead set against doing so, either. Writing Spider-Man, apart from the huge pressure of the time crunch around it, was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and I could certainly be tempted into writing some more.

Interviewer: What is your favorite book from the Dresden Files series?

Jim: Whichever one is the most recent. As time goes by, I come up with solutions to writing problems that I could have used two or three or twelve years ago. Looking back at those books makes me feel like an idiot, because I didn’t have the solution when I needed it. So at the moment, Changes is my favorite. Dead Beat comes in a close second because come on! Zombie T-Rex!

Interviewer: How many more books are planned for the Dresden series?

Jim: After Changes, another eight or nine or ten “case” books like we’ve had so far, followed by a capstone trilogy to finish things off.

Interviewer: What are you reading now?

Jim: Question seven of this interview! Hah, thought you were going to trick me on that one, I bet, but you can’t outwit the master of… Oh, wait. You mean recreationally.Right? Enchanter’s Endgame by David Eddings!

Interviewer: What future projects do you have planned?

Jim: I just finished up Side Jobs, a collection of nearly all of the Dresden Files short stories currently in print. I’ll probably do one more short story collection for the Dresden Files in the next year or two. After that, we’ll have to see.

Interviewer: What interests do you have outside of writing?

Jim: Oh, the usual kind of thing. I play a little guitar, I work out. I like video games like Left 4 Dead, City of Heroes, Rock Band and Halo. I go to live roleplaying events run by the fledgling organization, Heroic Interactive Theatre, where I can run around hitting people with nerf swords. I watch bad fantasy and science fiction movies and occasionally get on the floor an play with the dog.

Interviewer: Any last words of wisdom?

Jim: Assuming I had any wisdom to give, which I’m not at all sure I do, I think I’d be leery about dispensing it. I mean, who among us can get enough advice from other people, right?  And given the evident lack of wisdom in my own life, I think I’d horde any that I did come across, to see me through a rainy day?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:24:25 PM by Crawker »