Author Topic: Classifying Aspects  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
Classifying Aspects
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »
I was bemoaning my inability to think of a few more aspects for a character when I thought "Someone should make a giant list of sample aspects".  Having nothing better to do, I began to compile a list from my own game, the character ideas thread, the book, and the characters from the play-by-post games.

I started compiling, and I'm up to about 300ish.  I'm not even all the way through those sources I mentioned.  So the list has become a little cumbersome.  I began to classify the aspects to be able to deal with them in small chunks.  This works well for High Concepts, which are nicely classifiable by Template.  It works a little less well for Trouble (Troubles are sometimes only troublesome because of how the character was defined or template or something).  Even then, I have several dozen troubles and would like to split them up somehow.  And when it comes to Background/Rising Action/Your Story/Guest Star aspects, there's really nothing that differentiates them from each other, so I end up with a lump of a couple hundred aspects.

I'm looking for ways to classify these aspects.  My current thoughts classify them into these categories.  Heroic aspects (that are compellable to help people out), Physical skill aspects (aspects invokable for certain skills), Social skill aspects, Mental skill aspects, Style aspects, and Relationship aspects.

So, does anyone have any better schemes for classification?  And would anyone like to contribute aspects from their own games?

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Classifying Aspects
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:17:43 AM »
I don't know if they fit any of your list, but I might add:

Completely Positive Aspects
Completely Negative Aspects
Lawbreaker-Influenced Aspects
Inhuman/Negative Refresh Aspects

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:07:46 AM »
I would add Power Aspects and Template Aspects to that list, since many powers and templates require a high concept or ordinary aspect that relates to them. Object Aspects, Personality Aspects, and Quote Aspects might also be good categories.

The following links lead to threads on this site that contain aspects for general use:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21287.0.html
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,15632.0.html
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,17562.0.html
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,20197.0.html

If four threads isn't enough, then the Generic NPCs (shameless self promotion, I know) and Sample Character Concepts threads on the Resources board have quite a few aspects up for grabs.

If you ever do post that list of yours, I'll report it for addition to the Resources board.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:11:07 AM »
Ooo neato
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Jinn Master

• Conversationalist
  • Sanity Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:30:31 AM »
Family Aspects
Quote Aspects
Situation Aspects
Environment Aspects
Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods...
-The Lay of Horatius

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 02:44:53 AM »
For me, there are 3 Aspects besides your High Concept and your Trouble that every good character needs. \

Personality Aspect, Good Guy Aspect and Slice-of-life/Modernity Aspect

1. The Personality Aspect

It's outside of all numbers. It explains your character outside of numbers.

Example include Not As Innocent as I Look, Not-so-Subtle, Still Quick to Anger and  Epic Wiseass

2. The Good Guy Aspect

Your  Good Guy Aspect puts in big bold letters how you are a hero, a villain or in between.  It is a PErsonaliuty Aspect, yes, but it's the Personality that says you won't just Loot the bodies or sacrifice little girls to Demi-GOds for power.

Examples include Chivalry Isn't Dead Dammit, Avenging Angel and Protector of The Innocent

3. The Slice-of-Life/Modernity Aspect

The Dresden Files is an Urban Fantasy story. It takes place in modern day and about how the Modern world interacts wiht the supernatural. Every character should have at least 1 aspect that talks about how they react to the Modern World and/or a Slice-Of-Life problem for them.

Examples include: Perpetually Broke, Family Man and Unbelieving Beauracracy

If you have these 3 Aspects,  your character will be more complete.Some of the best characters have multiples of these....in the same Aspect.  
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 04:08:09 AM »
To me, there are 3 kinds of Aspects:

1) The ones you Invoke

2) The ones the GM Compels

3) The kind that you Invoke and the GM Compels

Remember, the way the mechanics are written up in the game Compels are autofail for the compelled, but Invoking doesn't mean autosuccess for the Invoker and Fate points mean jack if the character can't spend them.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 04:20:06 AM »
1. The Personality Aspect

It's outside of all numbers. It explains your character outside of numbers.

I think this one corresponds roughly to my Style Aspect.

2. The Good Guy Aspect
Your  Good Guy Aspect puts in big bold letters how you are a hero, a villain or in between.  It is a PErsonaliuty Aspect, yes, but it's the Personality that says you won't just Loot the bodies or sacrifice little girls to Demi-GOds for power.

This is exactly what I was going for when I said Heroic Aspect.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
To me, there are 3 kinds of Aspects:
1) The ones you Invoke
2) The ones the GM Compels
3) The kind that you Invoke and the GM Compels
Most (not all) aspects should fall into category 3, though, especially with particularly creative players/GMs.
Remember, the way the mechanics are written up in the game Compels are autofail for the compelled, but Invoking doesn't mean autosuccess for the Invoker and Fate points mean jack if the character can't spend them.
Compels are not auto-failures; keep in mind that the compelled character can avoid the compel by simply spending a Fate point.  Invoking generally *does* mean autosuccess for the invoker, since you generally don't invoke to boost a badly failing roll into a marginally failing roll.  Even if the opponent forces the roll back into failure by invocations of his own, you've suceeded in sapping Fate from him, which could be considered a success of a sort.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 02:29:00 AM »
Found another thread with aspects, this one on RPGnet.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=547876

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 05:51:26 AM »
Oh great.  I'm already well past 1000 aspects and I've only gotten through 2 of your 4 threads (and quite a bit further in Our World).  And that's just the aspect entry, I haven't even started on the classification.  :-[

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 07:56:57 AM »
me thinks you should split the master list up once it is all gathered and the post several different threads for specific helps to go through and sort for you then they can post the sorted thread in as a response which can be added to a master thread ( this one ) and finaly all of it can be moved to the recourses page.

in other news thank you.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 08:58:36 AM »
Most (not all) aspects should fall into category 3, though, especially with particularly creative players/GMs.Compels are not auto-failures; keep in mind that the compelled character can avoid the compel by simply spending a Fate point.  Invoking generally *does* mean autosuccess for the invoker, since you generally don't invoke to boost a badly failing roll into a marginally failing roll.  Even if the opponent forces the roll back into failure by invocations of his own, you've suceeded in sapping Fate from him, which could be considered a success of a sort.
The Compelled character still loses that Fate point and then it is still no guarantee that he could succeed in whatever task before him. And this depends on him having that Fate point in the first place.
If the opponent invokes and forces back the roll into a failure, then it is worse! The more resources you commit into a struggle, the more you must succeed. To fail once you invoke would mean that you have used up resources and have nothing in-game to show for it.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »
Well, I've finished a preliminary compilation.  I think I'll start a new thread to review the entries.