Author Topic: New to RPGs - need a rundown.  (Read 1969 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
New to RPGs - need a rundown.
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:33 AM »
I am looking for an RPG to play.  I've never played any table top game.

I am familiar with Rifts, D&D, Scion, Pathfinder, etc.

I am really interested in the DV RPG because I love the Dresden Files so much.

That said, I flipped through the book the other day and it was kind of daunting.  I was impressed by the production quality but it seemed a bit different than anything I was used to.

Could anyone give me a really simple rundown of how the mechanics/game works?  Try to keep in mind that I am a total noob.  Talk to me like I am an idiot - I promise I won't take offense.

Thanks. :)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New to RPGs - need a rundown.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 05:09:58 AM »
Here are a couple tutorials:Have to agree with you though...FATE may be 'light' but DFRPG isn't. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:50:14 AM »
Here are a couple tutorials:Have to agree with you though...FATE may be 'light' but DFRPG isn't. 

Wow I've just checked out the combat section so far and that looks amazing!  Complicated and new, but amazing.

Thanks for the links.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:00:51 AM »
Sure, easy peasy. But, do you have any questions on your mind at this point. I think you'll get more out of this if you ask questions and we answer, rather than just getting an info dump, which may or may not help.

You say you're familiar with D&D, etc. but have never played them. So, I don't think comparing DFRPG to those games will help you much. Do you have any particular questions that we can help clear up? Do you understand how you would punch a guy, to use a simple example?

If you understand that much, I'd suggest reading the "What's on your Character Sheet" section on Page 17 and seeing if that makes sense to you. If so, I'd move to the Creating your Character and City Creations Chapters and see if those bring up any questions.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »
Sure, easy peasy. But, do you have any questions on your mind at this point. I think you'll get more out of this if you ask questions and we answer, rather than just getting an info dump, which may or may not help.

You say you're familiar with D&D, etc. but have never played them. So, I don't think comparing DFRPG to those games will help you much. Do you have any particular questions that we can help clear up? Do you understand how you would punch a guy, to use a simple example?

If you understand that much, I'd suggest reading the "What's on your Character Sheet" section on Page 17 and seeing if that makes sense to you. If so, I'd move to the Creating your Character and City Creations Chapters and see if those bring up any questions.

I've actually been impressed enough that I will probably go out and buy the book tomorrow. :)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:16:03 PM »
Glad I could help...found those links on RPG.net though, can't take any credit for them.

FATE itself is pretty simple.  It's really just the spellcasting rules which complicate things for me.  That said, DFRPG is the single best fiction to RPG conversion I've seen.  It does an excellent job of transferring the flavor of the books to the game.  Hope you enjoy it also!

Edit:  Here's a post on declarations I found very useful.  (Thanks mostlyawake!)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:28:49 PM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:44:45 AM »
Woot! I was helpful!

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 06:07:11 AM »
Now I am just trying to find a group to play in the Austin area...

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Bad typists untie!!!!