Author Topic: Yay! I can see in the dark! (someone please tell me it's easier than this)  (Read 4028 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Darkvision Ritual
Type: Thaumaturgy, transformation
Complexity: 26; can vary depending on duration (21 to "take out" the caster, 5 for additional duration)
Duration: a night (12 hours)
Effect: When the caster completes this ritual, he or she must pay one Fate Point. The caster then gains the ability to see in the dark (as Supernatural Sense) for one entire night.

Is this overkill for the effect needed?
How about an Evocation version of same? Would that simply be an Evocation Maneuver to place the Aspect "I See in the Dark" on the caster?

Though this could be evidence that not every problem should be solved by magic, I'm sure my spellcaster will hex out a pair of nightvision goggles.

Edit: Yes, I could also have been a Rules Munchkin and opted to emulate the 'Cloak of Shadows" Supernatural Ability, which grants both darkvision AND a bonus to Stealth rolls.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:24:23 AM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Yay! I can see in the dark! (someone please tell me it's easier than this)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 05:02:42 AM »
A ritual complexity that is is perfectly capable of turning you into something that can see in the dark on a permanent basis.  Of course, turning yourself into something that does may not be the best choice for your long term health, but it's certainly possible.

Thing thing you are looking for is either a power 3-5 potion or a power 3-5 thaumatury ritual; either would probably let you see in the dark until the next sunrise. 

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 07:31:17 AM »
i believe, if the target is not resisting, you only have to "take out" the stress bar and not the consequences, thus reducing the base complexity by a large number.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 08:57:28 AM »
i believe, if the target is not resisting, you only have to "take out" the stress bar and not the consequences, thus reducing the base complexity by a large number.

I concur. If the wizard is sure his subject wouldn't resist you don't have to beat all consequences. A conceding target would simply be treated as taken out before taking the first consequence.

One thing: You probably should add some shifts for the base complexity of the effect you desire. I'd go for a base complexity of 3, bringing the spell to eight, witch sounds reasonable. Great spell by the way. Perhaps we need a custom spell thread in the recourses section... 
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »
As an evocation it's basically a maneuver that opposes a scene aspect that denotes the darkness of the scene.
Two differences: it only does so for the caster (that can be positive or negative for the caster, so no change in cost here imho)
It'S more sneaky then lighting up a scene. (which is actually helpful, so one might increase the power needed by 1 or 2 shifts)

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 12:47:32 PM »
As an evocation it's basically a maneuver that opposes a scene aspect that denotes the darkness of the scene.
Two differences: it only does so for the caster (that can be positive or negative for the caster, so no change in cost here imho)
It'S more sneaky then lighting up a scene. (which is actually helpful, so one might increase the power needed by 1 or 2 shifts)

How would that be possible? I don't see how you can transform yourself through evocation. Please explain.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
Why would you need a spell to see in the dark? Wizards can do minor stuff, including producing magical light, with a minor magic that doesn't expend any mental stress or other effort.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »
How would that be possible? I don't see how you can transform yourself through evocation. Please explain.
Make it a spirit evocation that collects and amplifies the light like a lense before it reaches your eyes... no transformation necessary.

But I was actually talking about the effect, not a specific spell description. And the Effect is simply a circumvented Scene aspect. That can be done with an evocation quite easily.

Also, take a look at the Hyperawareness Spell in YS(294). That's simply a Block described as increasing the casters awareness. Not so different from enhancing the casters sight to counteract darkness related aspects.

Why would you need a spell to see in the dark? Wizards can do minor stuff, including producing magical light, with a minor magic that doesn't expend any mental stress or other effort.
Minor effects are only "allowed" when the effect is mostly flavor. Also, seeing in the dark, and lighting up a scene are two very different things. Maybe you don't want to present yourself as a target in a dark room... Light would be very bad in that case.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:03:51 PM by Tsunami »

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »

Very true, and that same magical light has been used before by their enemies to target the wizards broadcasting the big "here's a wizard, shoot me in the face!" beacon.  I definitely see the utility of seeing in the dark without giving away your position.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »
Make it a spirit evocation that collects and amplifies the light like a lense before it reaches your eyes... no transformation necessary.

But I was actually talking about the effect, not a specific spell description. And the Effect is simply a circumvented Scene aspect. That can be done with an evocation quite easily.

Also, take a look at the Hyperawareness Spell in YS(294). That's simply a Block described as increasing the casters awareness. Not so different from enhancing the casters sight to counteract darkness related aspects.
Minor effects are only "allowed" when the effect is mostly flavor. Also, seeing in the dark, and lighting up a scene are two very different things. Maybe you don't want to present yourself as a target in a dark room... Light would be very bad in that case.

Ah ok. So it was partially off topic. That clears it up somewhat.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »
What's the difference between a thaumaturgical ritual, requiring 30+ shifts, to give yourself supernatural might until the next sunrise (and also costing you 2 fate points), and just making a strength 10 potion that gives you might 10 until the next sunrise (for, 10 complexity?) Other than the 20+ points of complexity, not much...

What's the difference between a ritual (again, of 20+shifts) to give yourself cloak of shadows (the lowest refresh cost nightvision), or a 4 shift potion manuever "Can see in dark", either until sunrise?  Again, other than the immense complexity difference (and the stealth bonus), not much.

So, as 20 complexity for this is stupid, but cheap powers aren't great for balance, I'd highly advise following the suggestions in the book on adding consequences.  I'd make this a moderate physical consequence of "blinding migraine", that kicks in when the potion wears off.

So you can see in the dark, but the next day you kind of want to stay in the dark and your head is killing you.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
Seems like the problem there is having the slots and FATE for the aspects required to make a 10 shift potion.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
The character for whom I'm making this spell is a Tenebromancer (Shadowmancer, whatever) who only has Channelling (Shadows) and Rituals (Tenebromancy). He could probably create potions with shadow/darkness-themed powers, but I have his item slots devoted to other things. I may opt to switch that around for the next appropriate milestone, but for now, that is what it is.

And while some wizards *could* make minor light effects, he's a tenebromancer, and has to stick to darkness-themed spins on the same powers. It makes more sense for the shadows to make themselves transparent to him than to banish them to create light.

I think I'm most satisfied with Tsunami's observation that this could simply be "a maneuver that opposes a scene aspect that denotes the darkness of the scene." I was also looking at the Hyper-Awareness spell and wondering how I could have incorporated that type of build into an Evocation version. Thank you!

I also feel that reducing the "taken out" requirements for a willing target (the caster) is a great help in making some of these things more accessible.

I'm also surprised that there isn't already a spellbook thread on this forum.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 05:15:04 PM »
I'm also surprised that there isn't already a spellbook thread on this forum.

As of today there is one in the resources section.

All in all you character concepts sounds interesting. Would like to see a full writeup as there aren't many reference characters for minor talents...

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »
All in all you character concepts sounds interesting. Would like to see a full writeup as there aren't many reference characters for minor talents...

Thank you! Would there be a particular "Let me tell you about my 21st-level Paladin" thread for this? Or should I post it here?