Linked Events

• Jim and Shannon @ MarsCon: January 14, 2011 - January 16, 2011

Author Topic: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011  (Read 260140 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »
Yup.  We want the one on Richmond Road, the main drag for hotels and restaurants in Williamsburg.

The cross street for the Sal's in question is "Bacon Avenue."  This may be the deciding factor.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2010, 04:54:21 PM »
Is it the one just north of the split for Bypass Rd., at 1425 Richmond Rd.? If so, it's about a mile and a half from the hotel, so we'd definitely have to pool rides.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »
Man, New York and my Avon Walk training has broken my brain.  I find the idea of being forced to drive a mile and a half utterly confounding. :D  "That's less than a 30-minute walk," my brain protests.  "Shut up, brain!  You're kind of a walking freak," the rest of me says.

So yes, we'll definitely end up pooling rides.  I doubt there will be any issue.  We had to pool rides at ConDFW, and that was ridiculously easy to figure out.  Except when I accidentally kidnapped Jim and Shannon.  Whoops.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
So yes, we'll definitely end up pooling rides.  I doubt there will be any issue.  We had to pool rides at ConDFW, and that was ridiculously easy to figure out.  Except when I accidentally kidnapped Jim and Shannon.  Whoops.

Uh huh.  Accidentally, she says.  Whoops, she says.  Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
Well, if it were like NYC and the traffic physically can't get past 20 MPH before the next traffic light, it'd be okay. I just don't like having people walk beside (much less try to cross) 45 MPH-limit roads. Because traffic usually goes 10 MPH higher and that cuts out any ability to dodge.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »
Jim can back up my story!  The highway exit WASN'T MARKED!  I had to circle around twice!

Well, if it were like NYC and the traffic physically can't get past 20 MPH before the next traffic light, it'd be okay. I just don't like having people walk beside (much less try to cross) 45 MPH-limit roads. Because traffic usually goes 10 MPH higher and that cuts out any ability to dodge.

Oh, I agree completely.  I wouldn't have wanted folks to have to walk any further than Times Square (3/4 mile) for the NYC fan dinner.  My brain is just a dweeb.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »

I walk along those roads all the time.  Run along the highway (65+) every now and again, too.

I didn't mention that.  :D

Jim can back up my story!  The highway exit WASN'T MARKED!  I had to circle around twice!

Wasn't marked?  Suuure.  You probably just took it down beforehand.  ;)

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
Weather and traffic would definitely make a difference for walking.  But if driving, Rob and I will have my car, and can fit 3, possibly 4, in the back.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »
I can't imagine caravanning will be an issue.  It's not exactly a public transportation-friendly con.  I'm sure we'll have plenty of cars!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
I walk along those roads all the time.  Run along the highway (65+) every now and again, too.

I didn't mention that.  :D

I may be tetched in the haid, but I'm NOT suicidal. All it takes is one brain donor yelling at someone on the cell phone and SPLAT.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »
I keep a rope and a pair of roller-skates in my trunk for anyone who needs a lift.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline MarsCon1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I am one of the organizers of MarsCon and wanted to post a little information for everyone coming. Someone posted about doing the "Time Warp". Well we have a group attending "Fishnet Inc." that performs at the local "Rocky Horror" shows and they will be there on Friday Night for a double feature of "Clue" followed by "Rocky Horror". We have tons of entertainment on Friday and Saturday night, and Saturday Night is our Party Night. It will be easy to find an open party.

For those flying in - You might want to check flights into the Newport News/Williamsburg airport. It is closer to the hotel (between 20 - 30 minutes depending on traffic).

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2010, 05:47:16 PM »
I am one of the organizers of MarsCon and wanted to post a little information for everyone coming. Someone posted about doing the "Time Warp". Well we have a group attending "Fishnet Inc." that performs at the local "Rocky Horror" shows and they will be there on Friday Night for a double feature of "Clue" followed by "Rocky Horror". We have tons of entertainment on Friday and Saturday night, and Saturday Night is our Party Night. It will be easy to find an open party.

That sounds AWESOME!  This con is going to be such a blast.  Thanks for keeping us updated.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2010, 05:53:56 PM »

For those flying in - You might want to check flights into the Newport News/Williamsburg airport. It is closer to the hotel (between 20 - 30 minutes depending on traffic).

Yes, yes thank you!  ...That's what I needed to do.  Need to contact y'all and ask about something...

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »

Thank you SO much for speaking up! It's always good to have the organizers enter the dialogue with the con-goers. :)

We checked flights into NN/WBG, Norfolk and Richmond. The last two are definitely farther, but they seem to have much less expensive flights. Depends on what folks are looking for.