Author Topic: Aspects in Combat  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Aspects in Combat
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:52:46 PM »
So, for the most part, I grok aspects, but there are a few cases where I do not. For example, the book refers to fire evocations setting the ON FIRE aspect on someone, air or water used to suffocate someone, using a cyclone spell to put the KNOCKED PRONE aspect on someone, dropping a bookcase on someone to put the PINNED aspect.on them, etc etc.

But for all but the last two examples, that would seem to indicate ongoing damage... but from what I understand of aspects, they don't do ongoing damage. So, how to oh deal with things like that, or poison, or....

And.for that matter, what about the aspects like KNOCKED PRONE or PINNED? Are.those necessary to compel to get their effects? I'd assume the first one would be a free tag, but....

And i suppose some of those could be done as blocks instead, but that still.doesn't explain red, water drowning, air suffocation, those shadow snakes.that that denarian sicced on Rodriguez, etc.

Or have I missed something completely? 

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects in Combat
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:25:49 PM »
As I understand it:

An aspect placed on your character by a maneuver can either be used by your opposition to aid their actions against you (invoking for a +2 on their roll), or may be compelled. If it's compelled then your options are limited based on the aspect in question. For KNOCKED PRONE that means taking an action to get back up before you can do anything that would require you to be in any other position than lying on the floor. For PINNED it would mean that you couldn't reasonably attempt any action that being pinned would prevent you from doing - theoretically what you should be doing at this point is trying to use Might to shift the thing that's pinning you down. If your opponent doesn't invoke the PINNED aspect when attacking you, they simply aren't using the fact that you are pinned to best effect. Arguably if someone used a bookcase to put the aspect of pinned on you it should be possible to maneuver to add another aspect or change that one to 'behind cover' in a subsequent action.

Things like drowning and being on fire are possibly best handled like grapples rather than maneuvers or blocks.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
Form what I got from your post you seem to have a firm grasp about the basics. I'll try to ask your questions in chronological order.

Your first question seems to be about damage over time affects. You are right. They aren't covert at length in the rules and can't be found under a separate chapter. However guidance can be found. For how poisons work take a look at the Venomous paragraph under the Claws skill (YW 163). That might help you.

Now to the tricky part: Aspects as such simply don't do damage. Period. However, an aspect can be used to create a grapple. This holds true to forms of magic too. An example for a magic damaging grapple is the ORBIUS spell (YW 294). The spell has to be explicitly designed to do damage.
If it simply a maneuver through evocation or thaumaturgy, then it is a simple aspect that follows all aspect rules. An ON FIRE aspect will surely be compelled by the GM during subsequent exchanges, but unless nobody invokes, compels or tags it it remains just flavor.

Aspects such as KNOCKED PRONE or PINNED are aspects like any other too. So yes, they have to be invoked, compelled or tagged by either the GM, a PC or an NPC. A PINNED person will have to remove the obstacle in most chases. A KNOCKED PRONE person is likely to try to get up during the next exchange to remove the aspect and his disadvantage. That said, in most chases you probably won't get a compel of that aspect in any chase because the victim will try and remove it right away.

Always keep in mind that this is a system that largely depends on narration and what makes sense at a given moment. Most things you ask about are best handled through compels by the GM, witch shouldn't only compel the PC but the NPC too.

EDIT: post is regarding OP not babel2uk ...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
Ok, so, some of that works for me. So to do damage over time, do it as a grapple. I suppose this works, though it seems rather dissatisfying when it comes to something like ON FIRE.

Particularly with the venomous extra for claws. Sure, its a.2 refresh add-on, but still, having Thu@ one thing doing Fist attacks auto every Exchange, while magic can at most do one stress per? Seems rather weak.

As for KNOCKED PRONE and such, I guess It's assumed that the HM should compel those every round until removed? If so, that means the creatures will be accumulating fate points? 

It does feed into another question I have though. I was noticing the examples of having a building or scene ON DOES, or CRUMBLING BUILDING, etc etc. How the heck do those factor into a battle? How does someone invoke such aspects for the battle?

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
Ok, so, some of that works for me. So to do damage over time, do it as a grapple. I suppose this works, though it seems rather dissatisfying when it comes to something like ON FIRE.

After some thought I remembered that there actually are rules for this. Check out YW 325. There is a paragraph for environmental hazards that covers this area. Generally you treat the fire as an environmental hazard and assign a value to it. Standing in a bonfire would be at least great. The victim has the chance to defend against the effect. Depending on the effect the victim will defend with Athletics or Endurance. In some situations the weapon value that created the effect might be added, but that is pretty situational.

Particularly with the venomous extra for claws. Sure, its a.2 refresh add-on, but still, having Thu@ one thing doing Fist attacks auto every Exchange, while magic can at most do one stress per? Seems rather weak.

It ain't week. Trust me. I used poison claws on one of the players in the game I run. His PC is a real tank and he seemed pretty scared about the poison effect. Maybe I understood something wrong. Your writing was kinda hard to decipher.  

As for KNOCKED PRONE and such, I guess It's assumed that the HM should compel those every round until removed? If so, that means the creatures will be accumulating fate points?  

Yes. If the creature gets compelled it gets a FP. However the creature should only get compelled if it is trying to go for a action that would be hindered by the aspect. It also might buy out of the compel, giving the GM a FP describing some awesome shit that lets the creature take it's action unhindered. In most cases creatures don't have all that many FP to begin with so it isn't that big of a deal.

It does feed into another question I have though. I was noticing the examples of having a building or scene ON DOES, or CRUMBLING BUILDING, etc etc. How the heck do those factor into a battle? How does someone invoke such aspects for the battle?

Scene aspects can be invoked/compelled/assessed/tagged like any other aspect. If the aspect CRUMBLING BUILDING leads to a collapsing of the structure, then every PC or NPC that gets into trouble due to CRUMBLING BUILDING gets a FP due to a compel by the GM. But that's all in the book...  
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:43:57 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 11:44:21 PM »
Aspects can do damage indirectly.  For example, consider a fight taking place in a burning house.  You might land a mighty punch on your foe, knocking them backward into the burning tapestry behind them.  In game terms, this is a Fists attack, tagging the "Spreading Fire" aspect to get a +2 on the attack -- and effect adding 2 stress of 'fire damage' to the punch (with no Fate cost, assuming the aspect had yet to be tagged).  The next exchange, you could milk the fire for more by shoving him back into the fire (maneuver to place "I'm burning!" on the foe).  This is now a new aspect, which could be tagged for no cost by you or your allies (or which might force him to spend an exchange to do a maneuver of his own to put himself out, thus removing the aspect).  Alternatively, you could use the "I'm burning!" Aspect as a Fate sink, allowing you to spend a Fate to boost every attack you make (even after the free tag) until he put himself out.  Or you could use the Aspect to compel him to stop, drop, and roll, perhaps.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 12:58:55 AM »
After some thought I remembered that there actually are rules for this. Check out YW 325. There is a paragraph for environmental hazards that covers this area. Generally you treat the fire as an environmental hazard and assign a value to it. Standing in a bonfire would be at least great. The victim has the chance to defend against the effect. Depending on the effect the victim will defend with Athletics or Endurance. In some situations the weapon value that created the effect might be added, but that is pretty situational.

I noticed that too, but I was unsure how to apply it. If I used an evocation to set the warehouse we are fighting on fire, how would that be adjudicated in terms of environmental threat?

It ain't week. Trust me. I used poison claws on one of the players in the game I run. His PC is a real tank and he seemed pretty scared about the poison effect. Maybe I understood something wrong. Your writing was kinda hard to decipher.  

I meant magic doing 1 stress per turn when poison does a fist attack level each turn. The MAGIC I was saying was pretty weak in comparison in this one case.

Yes. If the creature gets compelled it gets a FP. However the creature should only get compelled if it is trying to go for a action that would be hindered by the aspect. It also might buy out of the compel, giving the GM a FP describing some awesome shit that lets the creature take it's action unhindered. In most cases creatures don't have all that many FP to begin with so it isn't that big of a deal.

Scene aspects can be invoked/compelled/assessed/tagged like any other aspect. If the aspect CRUMBLING BUILDING leads to a collapsing of the structure, then every PC or NPC that gets into trouble due to CRUMBLING BUILDING gets a FP due to a compel by the GM. But that's all in the book...  

Yes, I know it's in the book, but some of these items I'm asking about didn't feel adequately explained. To me, a burning building or a crumbling building should be having a chance to do damage, and the fact that it doesn't is rather not attaching itself to my brain stem too well.

I have to say... I find some of this... well, woefully inadequate, to be honest. This is my first experience with Fate, and I have to say, while I think the Aspect system is quite fantastic overall, it doesn't seem to handle some of these situations like what I'm referring to above in any regards.

Either that, or they just didn't explain it well enough for me. ;)

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 01:08:41 AM »
Could you explain a little better what you want to happen? Ignore the game for a few: just give us an example and I'm sure we can explain it better. Describe ir like a scene in a story, if you can.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 02:55:14 AM »
what do you mean by "magic can only do 1 stress per turn?"

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 05:28:20 AM »
I have to say... I find some of this... well, woefully inadequate, to be honest. This is my first experience with Fate, and I have to say, while I think the Aspect system is quite fantastic overall, it doesn't seem to handle some of these situations like what I'm referring to above in any regards.

Either that, or they just didn't explain it well enough for me. ;)

Look, FATE handles these situations just fine. We've all lit folks on fire or knocked them prone, without much problem. If you want to cause physical stress, hit the dude with a fire attack. If you do enough stress you'll force them to take a consequence, say "Nasty Burns." That's a taggable aspect, and freely taggable the first time.

If you want to create an aspect instead, say "On Fire," do a maneuver. Now you've got an aspect, freely taggable the first time, but generally no stress. Eventually, the dude is going to do something to put the fire out and the aspect will go away, or I'm gonna rule that the fire goes out by itself. At that point, if the aspect is still a valid aspect, it's still taggable, it's just going to change to something else that makes sense, like "Nasty Burns." Again, that's a taggable aspect, and freely taggable the first time.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:35:50 AM by noclue »

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 10:11:19 AM »
The absolutely key thing to remember is that until the fire (or whatever) actually inflicts a consequence it's not actually damaging the person at all because stress indicates near misses. Maybe they're beating at the fire in an attempt to put it out, maybe their clothing is only smouldering and not hot enough to cause more than a bit of discomfort...

I'd forgotten about the environmental damage rules, but yes those would seem to apply. Since the rating of the damage source can be used either as an attack or a maneuver then using the grapple rules for an on fire character is an option, or just straight out attacking them every round and invoking the ON FIRE aspect to boost the strength of the attack. Yes that means the character is going to get a lot of fate points, but then again being involuntarily on fire is kind of a bad thing (unless of course you have a holocaust cloak).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:12:59 AM by babel2uk »

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 11:44:15 AM »
And, if so, then why didn't you list that among our assets?!

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »
 ;D

It only helps if you have a wheelbarrow as well...

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
you also need andre, and i am fresh out of them.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 02:19:14 PM »
Could you explain a little better what you want to happen? Ignore the game for a few: just give us an example and I'm sure we can explain it better. Describe ir like a scene in a story, if you can.

I want continuous damage when someone is on fire. Like when someone gets poisoned by the venomous add-on from the Claws power.

Iean, it adds an aspect and does damage until that person takes a.concession or is taken out. Someone on fire should have the same experience.

Maybe not as vicious, but mores than being grappled. Maybe, for example, require 2 or 3 shifts to turn an aspect added to a character to change the aspect into a continuous damage aspect, until removed, equal to the remaining shifts, or something.