Author Topic: Avatar discussion  (Read 27636 times)

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: FM's Avatar discussion
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 08:56:35 PM »
I have seen way creepier images than that, and hung them on my wall as art.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Tbora

Re: Re: FM's Avatar discussion
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »
Same I see it as more cheap halloween decoration creepy and something to laugh at, then something that seriously gives me the ick vibes.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 09:00:14 PM »
define 'creepy'

is it provocative? certianly? Unsuitable for younger persons, as the forum guidelines seem to be set too, largely due to the existence of youger persons on the board, and a natural inclination of the mods not to want to spend thanksgiving explaining things to fox news and the FBI?

Not as far as I can see.

My vote would be:

Carry on as you see fit;

with the caveat that if someone told me my avatar was creeping them out, Id say oh sorry and promptly change it too a nice cudly teddy bear; just cause you know that would be the nice thing to do for friends.  ;D
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline asetti

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »
Wow....Child Torture/murder?  isn't that a bit of a reach?
The death rate is the same for us as for anybody ... one person, one death, sooner or later.
Tunnel in the Sky (1955), Captain Helen Walker, Ch. 2

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »
Wow....Child Torture/murder?  isn't that a bit of a reach?

No. It looks like a creepy DEAD doll/infant's head to me. I am of simple, unsophisticated tastes.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »
I normally stay out of discussions like this because they're very rarely worth it imo. However, I have a problem with this whole line of inquiry, are we to say that policy should be decided on how vocal someone is? If one person finds it unbearably wrong or frightening or distasteful. Are we going to ask Icecream to take down her avatar if someone with Cynophobia complains about it? Are we going to lock/delete/immolate all the lolcat threads if someone who claims to have Elurophobia complains loud enough? At what point do we stop bowing down and catering to the whims of a minority who complains? All this does is instill that the moral that around here if you complain loud enough for long enough you'll get your way. I didn't see everyone who was scared of/disgusted by or hated spiders take up arms and attempt to rid the forum of the lolspider thread and try to force a reprimand of those who posted images.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 11:21:31 PM »
That could also lead to the majority stomping all over the minority. Not a very welcoming environment for a board, imo.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 11:30:51 PM »
Are we going to ask Icecream to take down her avatar if someone with Cynophobia complains about it?

NO. In fact, I think Icecream's avatar has taken the 'Cutest Puppy Avatar Award' away from Acorn. It's a sad day, but less good things happen.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline tallgrrl

• Conversationalist
  • I worked hard to find the right grey cat picture!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 11:31:03 PM »
Wait!  There's a lolspider thread?  :o  :o  :o  WHERE!!!???

For the record, I dislike the avatar under discussion and avert my eyes from it whenever it's on the page.  I'm old, not at all impressionable, but I don't disagree with whoever said it brings to mind babykilling/mutilation sort of feelings,(Huge paraphrase there) which in my opinion was obviously (FM)'s intent.  (No, I'm not a mind reader, I DID say IMO)   ...I slide the screen so it's partially off the screen for now if it's on the screen long enough while I'm reading, and I may disable avatars if it or any other one bugs me enough.  

I've seen death, injury, and I've seen awful things in RL and I'm not a fluffy sort of person, I can hold a wound or artery with my bare hands if I need to so you don't bleed to death... I just don't care to see it here so I move my window off screen.  I'm less offended by sexual innuendo or explicit stuff than that empty doll head, but I understand that there are many reasons for such restrictions.  If I had a 13 year old who frequented this board, I would explain that in this case, I think (FM) is getting the reaction he/she wanted here and now, and it's behaviour I'd expect my kid to avoid, and that it's totally possible for a person to have a unique avatar without offending others and grasping for attention.

//eta//  I know I'm just a n00B, but this thread offered me the chance to scratch the itch I got as soon as I saw that avatar.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:33:17 PM by tallgrrl »
~~~~~~~~~~~~Real men wear kilts!~~~~~~~~~~~
/// Death before Dishonor… nothing before coffee ///

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »
If you find posters avatars frightening or offensive, may I suggest that you go in to the personal preferences section of your account and disable viewing people's avatars.

This is a simple, inoffensive way to protect yourself if you are particularly image sensitive.

Click "Profile"
Then click "Look and Layout Preferences"
Next check the box in front of "Don't show users' avatars."

Save the changes to your preferences.

You will not longer have a problem with avatars which, while they meet the criterion for use on this forum, offend or disturb you.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
If you find posters avatars frightening or offensive, may I suggest that you go in to the personal preferences section of your account and disable viewing people's avatars.

Is this to ignore ALL avatars or just ONE?

I enjoy seeing most avatars, they are funny or cute or stupid or flashy. It is just this one I find offensive.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 11:52:31 PM »
All avatars.  Because that is how the software works.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Vantillus Octavious

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »
I find it creepy; however, whatever thoughts I have about it, is on me.
I do not expect him to take it down but I do wonder if he is trying to bug anyone with it...

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 12:15:45 AM »
For the record, my post was just meant to be a semi-humorous comment about how creepy the thing was. I wasn't trying to call for a ban on the creepiness or anything. I just did what I always do when I see an avatar that I'm pretty sure I don't want to have to keep looking at: I set my browser to block the image. Problem solved, from my perspective.

NO. In fact, I think Icecream's avatar has taken the 'Cutest Puppy Avatar Award' away from Acorn. It's a sad day, but less good things happen.

Maybe so, but is her avatar a picture of a Foo Dog puppy? I think not!
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar discussion
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 12:16:59 AM »
Would you care to teach folks how to do that blocking image thing?