Author Topic: Gay female lead character  (Read 2873 times)

Offline kingaling

• Conversationalist
  • THE VOICES ARENT REAL, but have some good ideas
    • View Profile
Gay female lead character
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
So. I've decided to transform a character I've had for a while from a bisexual man in his early to mid twenties into a gay woman of about the same age. I don't have it in my mind to make her one of those "lipstick lesbians", she's more along the lines of plus size, not butch but definitely tough.

Any ideas on how I could approach this? This is in first person and it's an urban fantasy. Not sure how to approach writing from this point of view.
Son of Blampira and father to the vampire in her sig.

"It's good to be King." - Mel Brooks

"I have an idea! An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Gay female lead character
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:07:30 AM »
Well given that people are people and act like people, most of the distinctions won't be clear in everyday banter. It's more important that you create her character, key word there is create. You get to decide her motivations and personality, the most important thing is to make her consistent. A consistent character is the most important element of a believable character.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »
So. I've decided to transform a character I've had for a while from a bisexual man in his early to mid twenties into a gay woman of about the same age. I don't have it in my mind to make her one of those "lipstick lesbians", she's more along the lines of plus size, not butch but definitely tough.

Any ideas on how I could approach this? This is in first person and it's an urban fantasy. Not sure how to approach writing from this point of view.

The places where it will make a difference, I would expect, would boil down to a) wherever the social context it's set in treats men and women differently and b) depending on how out she is, possibly wherever her being gay will make a difference to people's reactions.  Is her sexuality going to be of major significance to this story ?

Approach it same as any other point of view; build the character from the experiences they have had.   Not sure I can say anything else useful without some notion of why you decided to change the character and what story purpose that serves.

Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »
You get to decide her motivations and personality, the most important thing is to make her consistent. A consistent character is the most important element of a believable character.

Sort of.

Real human beings are a long way from always being consistent.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »
True, but that doesn't stop us from wanting and expecting people to behave predictably.

Figging Mint

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 04:49:51 PM »
True, but that doesn't stop us from wanting and expecting people to behave predictably.

Is this another way of saying "We the readers want the characters we read about to be more consistent than ourselves?"

:D

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
Is this another way of saying "We the readers want the characters we read about to be more consistent than ourselves?"

:D

Come to think of it, we probably DO want this.  After all, writers tend to come in for a world of criticism when they make a character act OOC; whereas if we do something OOC in real life, more often than not people around us just shrug and say, "Oh, (s)he must be having an off day."

But to get back to the original question, I think the point to keep in mind is that people are people first and not necessarily defined by their sexual orientation (unless it's really, really obvious, in which case you run the risk of stereotyping...)  For example, Tanya Huff's Diana Hanson is very much an average teenage girl who just happens to be a lesbian and a powerful magic user--but you wouldn't be likely to pick up on either through casual conversation with her.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Figging Mint

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »

Pigeonholes are always too small to fit real people.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »
Pigeonholes are always too small to fit real people.

Well, pigeons are kind of smaller than people.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »
Well, pigeons are kind of smaller than people.

The hell you say!!

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:04:23 AM »
The hell you say!!

Just to clarify; basically I have nothing against pigeons; they taste too good for that.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:09:18 AM »
You eat pigeon? I've heard of people eating crow, but never pigeon. Do they taste like chicken?

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:00:09 AM »
You eat pigeon? I've heard of people eating crow, but never pigeon. Do they taste like chicken?

Much gamier.  it's not your supermarket-common meat around here, but it's not notably harder to get than red deer or wild boar.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 07:18:32 AM »
Much gamier.  it's not your supermarket-common meat around here, but it's not notably harder to get than red deer or wild boar.

Pigeon aka Squab.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »
Okay, in response to what has already been posted:

Stereotypes and Archetypes
Try to be Predictable and Surprising
Maintain Consistency, Especially When Being Inconsistent
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

The third could be better written, bleh.

Anyway, minor spoiler here.  Lucretia, the main character of my novel Bystander, is bisexual and her love interest, Sightseer, is gay.  This is not something I come right out and say in the first book for a couple of reasons:

a) it is one of those controversial traits that dominates a character once its revealed and it is not what I want Lucretia or Sightseer to be defined as until they've been thoroughly characterized around other traits

b) Lucretia behaves in ways that resemble the stereotypical "chase anything that moves" bisexuals in some movies and I'd rather not people instantly assuming that I'm saying bisexual=promiscuous

c) neither fact has ANYTHING to do with the story of the first book, and thus making a point of it is just like dancing around and yelling "look at me, I wrote a book with gay people!  I'm progressive!  Yay!"  

As such, the only clue that Lu is bi in the first book is a single come-on directed at Robles which may or may not be teasing (given that she was sober at the time, I can guarantee you that Lu had no intent to go anywhere with that flirtation) in the eyes of the reader.

The only clues that Sightseer is gay are comments from Lu that nothing she wears will "stuff [her] pants" and a conversation at the end where she's warned that their relationship would never become sexual.

The idea being to lay the foundation to show that their orientations run that way without sledgehammering it into the ground.

Incidentally, Lu's dress habits would be lipstick, her behavioral something more butch.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 09:16:35 AM by Thrythlind »
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants