Author Topic: Went to the book store to buy Side Jobs, came home with the RPG books...  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Ghensler

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Well, the title says it all :D.

Unfortunately, I have ZERO experience with roleplaying games, but a game set in the Dresden universe is enough to suck me.  Anybody got any advice for a newbie to find a group to play with?  I'm in Fayetteville, NC for college and don't know many people around here, and I especially don't know anyone who reads Dresden or plays RPGs.

Cheers - I'm off to read the RPG books and Side Jobs - no sleep for me for a while :)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Went to the book store to buy Side Jobs, came home with the RPG books...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:49:04 PM »
We have a fairly active play-by-post forum here. You don't even have to leave your computer screen.

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »
The Hobbit
6111 Yadkin Road, A
Fayetteville, NC 28303

The Hobbit is the local gaming store in Fayetteville. It would be a good place to start your search. They keep a list of people looking to play various games. At least the used to. I haven't lived there for years, so I can't say for certain.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:04:45 PM »
Sleep is for the weak.  :)

You can look on the boards here for PbP (it's fun to read the game posts, and gives you an idea of how the game is played).  You can also look for a local gaming store (there's probably one around somewhere) and ask around.

Welcome to our world!

You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »
Good luck finding a game group!
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:59:34 AM »
Anybody got any advice for a newbie to find a group to play with?
Others had some good advice.  I'd recommend starting with the local game store and checking to see if the college has a gaming club.  If you don't have any luck finding local games, there are also a variety of Virtual Table Top programs for playing online (I use Fantasy Grounds).  Skype, chat, and various forums are also common media.  Good luck!
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 02:35:16 AM »
there are also sites out there that'll let you search for nearby gamers.  a quick Google search can sometimes lead you to a gaming table within 5 miles you'd never known was there.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:44:12 AM »
That or most colleges do have boards for such things. :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
If the LGS is a no go (which is where I would go first), you might want to find a large common room or rec center in your collage and sit down and read the rpg there. This is a good place and action to get the attention of other students who are interested in gaming who are walking by. This is how I found my collage gaming group, I stumbled upon a group of people poring over rpg books.
"The door is ajar"

Offline Save_vs_DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 10:18:43 AM »
I can't help you out locally but checking our your Friendly Local Game Shop (FLGS) is always a good step (as noted above).  Colleges are also a good site.  Furthermore, I'd be happy to answer any general questions you have about our wonderful hobby, even if you think they're stupid or the like.  Finally, there are a variety of play by post sites out there that might work well for you.  Play by post games tend to move slower, allowing you more time to think and look up rules.
By a knight of ghosts and shadows
I summoned am to tourney
Ten leagues beyond the wide world's end
Methinks it is no journey.