Author Topic: Resources and complexity  (Read 1573 times)

Offline stitchy1503

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Resources and complexity
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:45 PM »
Hey guys, i'm still pretty new to the DFRPG but i was wondering if there were rules for, or if it seems fair to add a resource roll as complexity starts getting higher on a thaumaturgy spell. Currently it just seems like if you have a certain amount of time you can do pretty much anything, but i do believe that in the books Bob mentions that some ingredients for spells can get pretty expensive.
DV stitchy1503 v1.2 YR 8 FR2 BK++ RP++++ JB TH+ WG+ CL++ SW BC+ MC-- SH[murph+++ molly++ mavra----]

Offline adgramaine

• Conversationalist
  • Me n' Harry, we got a few things in common!
    • View Profile
    • Haphazard Projects Forum
Re: Resources and complexity
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:27:24 PM »
Sure, it sounds fair. But the rules in the book kinda already take that into consideration. For instance, how long it takes to get all the materials, et al.

If resources are strained in your game, I'd say go for it. Though it probably could be better reflected with a few Aspects, compelling "Perpetually Broke", forcing a character to spend a Fate point to avoid coming up with the funds....

My mind is rambling faster than my fingers can type....

/shutting up
Faith is seeing the light when all about is dark.

It's a Living!

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:29:58 PM »
The way the game handles ingredients, beyond the necessary ritual link, is through declarations.  So if you wanted to buy an expensive component for the spell, you'd make a declaration with resources.  If you failed that declaration, one possibility is that you realize what you need is more expensive than what you can afford, so you have to find alternative ingredients.  Or you use the skip a scene rules to replicate the time it takes your character to shop around for a better price or to pull money out of accounts or whatever.  

Basically, you don't know how expensive a spell is going to be until after the caster decides to bring resources into it.  Until then, you just assume that the monetary expense is not noteworthy.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline adgramaine

• Conversationalist
  • Me n' Harry, we got a few things in common!
    • View Profile
    • Haphazard Projects Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
....Or you use the skip a scene rules to replicate the time it takes your character to shop around for a better price or to pull money out of accounts or whatever.  

Basically, you don't know how expensive a spell is going to be until after the caster decides to bring resources into it.  Until then, you just assume that the monetary expense is not noteworthy.

That was the other thing I was trying to remember! Thanks for saving my from digging through the pages myself...
Faith is seeing the light when all about is dark.

It's a Living!

Offline stitchy1503

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »
cool thanks for the quick reply guys :)
DV stitchy1503 v1.2 YR 8 FR2 BK++ RP++++ JB TH+ WG+ CL++ SW BC+ MC-- SH[murph+++ molly++ mavra----]